AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to watch TV shows from Fox.com or NBC.com on the PS3 browser? Maybe by using a program like TVersity?

I searched and couldn't find anything. My DVR was full the other day and I missed a recording of Prison Break and wanted to watch it on the PS3.

I have the Wii also and that has a web browser. Will it work there?

Thanks in advance,

D~

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
First off, ignore the spam above.

I think the latest update broke Hulu in the browser (well, not so much broke-it, but I think disabled it upon request, I think).

Anyways I use PlayOn ($39.99 to buy, but there is a free trial) to stream Hulu. Just download it from themediamall.com and install it on your PC. Then you can pull it up under your media servers on the PS3 and browse to the Hulu/Full Episodes folder and you should be able to find the Prison Break episode there.

It also streams a bunch of other stuff as well, such as:
  • Hulu (covered above)
  • Netflix (but not the HD material like the 360's player)
  • CBS.com (not available on Hulu)
  • Youtube
  • ESPN.com
  • Local files - this is new and I have not played with this, but am planning on looking at it to replace Tversity and possible the PS3 Media Server if it works ok for MY needs (YMMV)

With free plugins (at playonplugins.com) you can also stream several other things, like:
  • Cartoon Network's Adult Swim
  • NFL.com
  • Game Trailers
  • at least 2 popular "adult" youtube-like sites which I won't list here.
  • Some others

All works pretty good, and even though I use the 360 for Netflix, it is still the best money I've spent and I use it very frequently.

Definitely worth a download of the trial. Only takes a few minutes to install it to check it out.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG /forum/post/16821879

This is an old thread. I use PlayOn too.

Crap...didn't realize it was an old thread (although the "Prison Break" reference should have clued me in, but figured maybe he was just watching it late).

Stupid Spam fooled me!

·
Registered
160 Posts
well, ive just gotten playon and everything i try to view is "the data is corrupted".

Everything.

It was only 20 bucks because i got a code with it but playon for me so was an absolute waste of money.

Ive used ps3 media server and it works flawlessly.

But i dont know if it will stream internet content like hulu as i havent tried to with it yet or if it has those capabilities.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
PlayOn's tech support is pretty good about helping you troubleshoot problems you have with streaming, but here are some basics:

First make sure at least either your PS3 or computer where you downloaded PlayOn has a wired connection.

Open up PlayOn's settings manager, click the system check tab to make sure your computer meets all minimum requirements. While there, you might also want to test by selecting "Low" for Video Performance.

Next enable Windows' Firewall and disable the one that came with your computer's security suite (if you have one)

Also, on the General Settings tab stop and restart your connection the the PlayOn server.

Lastly, when you select a program from Netflix or Hulu and it comes up "Data Corrupted" back out of it all the way and then go back; that works for me sometimes (I don't know why). Also note that Amazon VOD is currently not working, so anything you select will come up "Data Corrupted."

If all else fails contact PlayOn tech support through the settings manager. They respond quickly and were very helpful in troubleshooting the problems I had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.