AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DISH SD DVR with an S-Video output going directly to an LG Plasma HDTV and a composite cable connected to a Samsung DVD recorder. The DVD recorder is connected to the TV via component 480P. I notice that if I watch DISH programming thru the DVD recorder I get a different picture than when I watch it directly to the TV (I can't decide whether it's better or not just different). I've also tried it running HDMI from the DVD recorder to the TV with similar results(the TV only has 1 HDMI input which currently being taken up by another DVD player). Is there any reason to believe I would get a better picture for DISH SD programming by watching it thru the DVD recorder via component (or HDMI for that matter). Also, would it be better to run the S Video from the DVR to the DVD recorder and the composite straight to the TV.

I have yet to switch to DISH HD since I watch local network HD programming over the air off an outdoor antenna with great results.

Mike in Michigan

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
I would think the S-video direct to the TV from your DVR would give you the best viewing picture. Even though you're going component from your DVDR to TV you're still restricted by the composite connection from your DVR to your DVDR.

Personally I'd probably go S-video from your DVR to your DVDR and again component from your DVDR to TV. Then so you can have a direct connection I'd run the composite from your DVR to your TV.

The downside to this setup is you would have to have your DVDR powered on to watch the best connection to your TV. You would still have the lesser quality composite direct connection if you didn't want to turn your DVDR on for some reason. The + side of this setup is you'll be recording the best quality to DVD, something that would be important for me anyway.

The difference between S-video and composite is small but to me it's quite noticeable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. I'll play around with the different connections to see if I like it better the other way. I do know that the picture settings for the S-video input is way different than the other inputs i.e. the black level needs to be turned down to about 25% and contrast to about 40%. No big deal since the TV saves the settings on each input. It would be nice to eliminate one of the 6 or 7 inputs I have to scan when changing inputs on the TV, however, having to turn on another device would probably be worse.

I have been considering updating my AVR (Denon 3802) so I can route my video thru the AVR but since I use the antenna input for almost half my viewing I would still have to scan thru the inputs on the TV to change. Besides, the old Denon has been outstanding even though it doesn't do any video upconversion.

I find that I rarely use the DVD recorder except to copy some stuff off the DVR and some of my camcorder tapes to DVD. Funny the feature I use most is the clock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts