AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide whether to buy a replay or not, and had a quick question: If the replay is recording a show, can you watch another channel using the tv's tuner( sort of like the tv/vcr button on a VCR)? I seen where the replay 4000 will have this feature, but does any of the other older models have it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jksc
I am trying to decide whether to buy a replay or not, and had a quick question: If the replay is recording a show, can you watch another channel using the tv's tuner( sort of like the tv/vcr button on a VCR)? I seen where the replay 4000 will have this feature, but does any of the other older models have it?
The older units do not have RF (coax) output. You could split the cable: one into the Replay, the other into your TV. The new 4000-series do have RF passthrough

·
Registered
36 Posts
I accomplished this by splitting the cable signal before it goes to the cable box. I then ran the cable box output to Replay. Replay output is connected to TV's video input. I connected the other cable split to the antenna input of the tv. I can switch to antenna while the Replay is recording and watch anything that is not scrambled.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The real question is will you want to watch things live when you have recorded stuff? The reason I ask is it is much easier to record the live show and watch the recorded show because you can skip and ff.

If you get out of the habit of watching stuff live, you will find that you watch far less TV (a good thing) and more quality TV when you do watch it. I rarely watch live TV any more unless it is CNN, MSNBC, weather or FOX news. I normally watch my favorite shows delayed, like I start watching 15 or 20 minutes after they start.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I find I am watching more TV each evening than I used to. I can used non-guaranteed space for things like the Star-Trek Next Generation reruns - they usually come on later than I want to stay up. Now when I get home, there is almost never a time when nothing good is on because I have all sorts of shows recorded. It takes less time to watch each show, but I watch more TV now (I always been an affirmed tele-holic; now it's too easy for my 'fix'). The hard disc recorders have definitely made a difference for us. Even my 4-year old understands the concept. If he has something to do (brush teeth, go to bed, leave for church, etc), he doesn't put up a fight any more. He simply asks us to record whatever he was watching, or save it for later for him.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just buy a Tivo, they are much better, easier to use and less hassle. I have both and I have had to reboot my stupid ReplayTV over 9 times while I have had 0 problems with my TiVo which I bought at the same time.

Also, I use a splitter and connect the split cable to my TV and TiVo, Replay units.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I'll second that one. The Tivo sure isn't "better" but no harm in having one around to play with. BTW Tivo4me how are you keeping yours @ 2.0.1? I like my "souped up" 1.3 much better. But that's another forum.

Edit: Tivo4me maybe you shouldn't be warm rebooting that Showstopper? You really shouldn't be doing that with either of these units. Did BrettStah tell you to do that? Just kidding in reality they are both quite amazing hardware if you just treat them right.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Well, whether Tivos are better is a matter of opinion. And I'm sure someone has had the opposite experience than you... trouble with their Tivo, and none with their ReplayTV.

But for this particular question, Tivos do have an advantage. If you don't use a cable box or satellite receiver to tune your channels (in other words, you use just a plain cable line), then Tivo will let you record one thing and watch another (for shows that are on at the same time, like Survivor and Friends, which my sister does with her Tivo). You just place your Tivo into Standby mode to accomplish this.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
BrettStah what are you talking about? With RF cable anyone can watch anything on any TV and you sure don't need a Tivo for that. I use embeem's rf to keep my Tivo on RF standby to feed RF to another Replay. If you only hook up your Tivo to your tv with rf (feature?) then you've mono HT don't let AVScience hear about that one:) :) Now your DirectTivo that's another story but also another forum...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Re-read the question the originator of this thread asked... "If the replay is recording a show, can you watch another channel using the tv's tuner( sort of like the tv/vcr button on a VCR)?"

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
BrettStah of course a Showstopper can do that too. They just don't even bother with an RF out. But I do take that back there is one time that can be useful... if you want to send rf to a remote location and view the Tivo that way it will work but that's still a kludge (in the HT world) the Replay 4000 has a much more elegant cat5 solution for RF free remote linking.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Brettstah if you read the answer to question was "yes" split the cable. Why try to suggest to confused technophobes looking to your expert guidance that it's not possible? If what your are talking about is someone who only has a portable TV with RF only for their HT... well I guess maybe they can't afford a 4000 (??) so if that's what your referring to then yes these people might be better off with the free Tivo. :D :D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I only initially posted here to dispel the impression that Replays all have problems, and Tivos are problem free, while acknowledging that for this particular purpose, Tivos, having an RF output jack and the ability of passing through a cable signal through it, has an advantage over Replays. Don't forget that many, many people use coax with no box, directly into a TV or VCR.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Brett this isn't Afghanistan :rolleyes: Maybe the reason they do that is because no one told them how to hook it up? If you did that to your sister you better get her squared away so she can fully enjoy stereo sound from her Tivo!! It's not because their TV Monitors are not capable of better AV Fidelity... it's just force of habit and confusion. I know your posting was otherwise fair enough but I am beginning to wonder if you've ever actually used a showstopper... but don't worry well get you converted to a 4000 because I think you are cut out for it since you are so kind as to mail buffy video tapes to fans just out of the goodness of your heart. Lets try to tell these newbies the truth and dispel the propaganda and myth so all can have a better AV experience?? :D :D :D Isn't that in the mission statement of AVScience?

The split cable is a more versatile for most Replay or Tivo users the only exceptions being a crappy TV with no line input (are any of the really still in service in the USA?) or if you want to run coax to the bedroom and watch the main Tivo in mono on Channel 3 (hey better than not @ all) But I have to hack the RF standby to make it behave since it won't hold your setting on reboots and Tivo is always messing with the software and changing it on you and rebooting without asking.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
My sister doesn't want digital cable, or any premium channels, so she doesn't have a cable box. So, she runs it right into her Tivo, and then from there into her TV (which only has a single input jack... coax). So, she loves being able to watch one thing while the Tivo is recording something else. No need for her to split the cable, etc.

My TV in my bedroom only has a single coax input jack too (but I do have a cable box I'm using, so I can't use the passthrough feature).

I have indeed used a ReplayTV (my uncle has one). I haven't bought one yet, but have definitely not ruled out their newer models out forever. I really hope they keep Tivo on their toes, too! :)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
OK Brett that's good ...sounds like you have them hooked up optimally for the circumstances. So you can keep your "AVS Special Member" credibility intact. And looks like we know what your sister should be gittin' for Christmas... a decent TV huh? (Hope she's not reading this) But just to clear up this topic even your sister could enjoy a Showstopper too if she had one. She could just tune it on the RF section of the VCR (until Christmas??) Now if you are gonna tell me she doesn't have a VCR well just give her one of your old ones (or y'all keep an eye on the dumpster... a lotta people just throwing these out now... some decent ones too). BWT though the current hardware differences between the two platforms (SA) are minor the Showstopper is better suited for people with higher grade equipment considering that extra line in. It would really be better for you since you have both DirectTV and a Cable box. Tivo is really a mess on that one. Since you are paying for both anyway (oops in theory you're supposed to be payin for D*) But the Showstopper will give you both inputs in perfect stereo on one channel guide (the whole shebang) and you'd even still have room to tune some odd OTA on the RF... but you can do ok juggling the SA w/cablebox and the DTivos (but that's a lot of tivonet cards and constant hacking) tell you what... your gonna like the 4000's! "Look mom I can watch the shows on the diff units with one click" and even "oh mom, here's that show you missed... click click!" Oh well just invite her over she can watch it at your place...:D :D

And BTW if you tell me the only reason you have the cable box in the bedroom is to overcome the deficiencies of your TV oh well then... I give up "Help Santa Clause??" :) :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Actually, I'm just in the transition stage from cable to DirecTV... have to get some trees trimmed, etc. and then the cable boxes are out of here!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Yep... that D* can be a bargain before they change the stream. Unfortunately I can't stand to look @ it now even for free. My collectors are trained on different targets these days. But look at it this way: that insanely high D* compression is a "feature" for the Dtivo... you get more hours (no choice)!! :D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.