AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used to be, before I got the Replay, I watched maybe one hour of TV a night. Maybe an hour and a half. Since I've gotten the RTV unit, I find that I'm watching an average of 2+ hours TV a night and watching shows that I normally wouldn't.


Is this what a lot of you have experienced? I'm not necessarily unhappy about it, since watching TV is much more enjoyable without commercials. But, I've found that I'm getting a lot less other work done around the house because of this.


If you also observed this effect, did it go away after the fascination with the technology wore off? My wife seems to think that will be the case, but I'm not so sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
I had the opposite experience. Used to be that I had multiple shows I watched religiously, and I was taping something almost every night to resolve conflicts. Some weeks were all reruns and I had nothing new to watch of those favored shows -- but I still sat in front of the tube and tried to find something anyway.


Now, pretty much I have abandoned the conflicting shows. I have abandoned "filler" tv watching (looking for something to watch between two other shows I want to watch). Between those two I have really reduced viewing time. By not being on the tv station's schedule you're not tied to the tube for 2 or 3 hours a night just to see 40 minutes (after commercials) of shows you really want.


Also, when you don't watch commercials you tend to miss promos that would make you interested in other shows. This helps cut down the viewing too.


I think that once you start having more power over what you watch and when, you will start being more selective about what you bother with. You may record a bunch of stuff you never have time to watch, and that's good.


Now, some people go the other way and buy multiple units so that they can record more and more TV. The cost prevented me from going that way :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting.


For us, it used to be we just decided which show to watch when there was a conflict. We never used the VCR much, other than for the kids to play their old movies that came on VHS. So, we would watch a single show for a time slot and forego watching any other show at that time.


Now, we'll record the first "good show", then watch live TV of the second show if there is a conflict, then watch the second show after the live show is over. During the viewing of the second show, the nightly local news is recording. FInally, we'll watch the news and then be done with it.


Unfortunately, not only am I watching a whole extra show (or more), I'm staying up later as well (not by much since the commercials get clipped and we can forward through certain parts of the news). Since I dislike watching live TV now and want to watch it recorded (even if it's only shifted by half an hour or so), it's pushing back my normal time for bed (no point in watching the news the next day).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Why, yes I am. Thank you very much for noticing.


PVR count in my house right now:


1 4508

1 4516

1 Dish 501

1 Dish 510

1 RCA 7000N

1 Panasonic HS2

2 Showstoppers


No recording conflicts, ever!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nnolan
Why, yes I am. Thank you very much for noticing.


PVR count in my house right now:


1 4508

1 4516

1 Dish 501

1 Dish 510

1 RCA 7000N

1 Panasonic HS2

2 Showstoppers


No recording conflicts, ever!!!!
OMG, that gave me a headache.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
I've noticed this too - and saw it in my family and friends. After you get the ReplayTV setup, your TV watching tends to go up.


Part of it seems to be feeling the need to watch everything it records. Part of it seemed to be seeing a lot more offerings of shows you like.


In every case I've been involved with, this lasts about 4-6 weeks before you "burn out" and start realizing that watching everything is tedious. Then you tend to drop back down to where you were or lower (channel surfer types tends to be the slowest to come back down and tend to come back to "normal" where as non-channel surfers come "down" sooner and tend to be watching less TV after the acclimatization period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I've had a Replay for about a month now and I don't think I watch more TV in terms of hours, but I do watch more programming that I like, it's just more 'compressed'. Even forgetting commercials and such, I tend to fast forward through stuff I don't like. Now, to watch Conan O'Brien, it takes me 20 minutes or so. It doesn't really help with the ADD :D , but it's definitely a time saver.


I think we forget that technology does change the way you live. I'll wager that you watched less and less tv over the recent years because of the internet. Now that the internet has matured a bit, it doesn't require as much of your time.


Anyway, better to adjust now because the cat is definitely out of the bag. PVRs are even being built into TVs now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
I am watching way more TV than when I did not have Replay.

But it's not the junk that the networks serve up. I record shows that I otherwise would not have known about, if not for the guide.

I record shows from the discovery channel, science channel, history channel, Food network, Nick GAS, disney channel, PBS and of course the 10 digital HBO channels.


OK, maybe a show or 2 from the networks, but only the cream of the crop. ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
I've noticed this too - and saw it in my family and friends. After you get the ReplayTV setup, your TV watching tends to go up.


Part of it seems to be feeling the need to watch everything it records. Part of it seemed to be seeing a lot more offerings of shows you like.


In every case I've been involved with, this lasts about 4-6 weeks before you "burn out" and start realizing that watching everything is tedious. Then you tend to drop back down to where you were or lower (channel surfer types tends to be the slowest to come back down and tend to come back to "normal" where as non-channel surfers come "down" sooner and tend to be watching less TV after the acclimatization period.
I hope that's true. But, I agree with what you say about watching everything it records. I almost feel compelled or obliged to watch TV shows that I've recorded. It makes no sense, but I know that's what I'm feeling. Kind of the old, "if it's on your plate, you better eat it" syndrome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by doshin
I've had a Replay for about a month now and I don't think I watch more TV in terms of hours, but I do watch more programming that I like, it's just more 'compressed'. Even forgetting commercials and such, I tend to fast forward through stuff I don't like. Now, to watch Conan O'Brien, it takes me 20 minutes or so. It doesn't really help with the ADD :D , but it's definitely a time saver.


I think we forget that technology does change the way you live. I'll wager that you watched less and less tv over the recent years because of the internet. Now that the internet has matured a bit, it doesn't require as much of your time.


Anyway, better to adjust now because the cat is definitely out of the bag. PVRs are even being built into TVs now.
Astute observation. It's a wager I wouldn't take because I'd lose. So, you're right, Part or most of the extra time spent watching TV has come at the expense of surfing the web and/or tweaking my PC. My wife is happier for it, since she's definitely not a tech type of person and likes having me couch potato with her.


I wonder if PVRs will contribute to the obesity problem eventually or if it's just a shift from one non-active activity to another. I've found that for myself, I still do my physical activities, but don't even think about missing a show that I enjoy. It's just that tiny little bit of stress out of my life, which is pleasant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tedler
I am watching way more TV than when I did not have Replay.

But it's not the junk that the networks serve up. I record shows that I otherwise would not have known about, if not for the guide.

I record shows from the discovery channel, science channel, history channel, Food network, Nick GAS, disney channel, PBS and of course the 10 digital HBO channels.


OK, maybe a show or 2 from the networks, but only the cream of the crop. ;-)
I haven't reached the stage yet where I'm reaching out for better programming, although I've started a few tentative forays in that area. I'm afraid to do it though.


I've got digital HBO, Showtime, Flix, TMC, STARZ, etc (about 35+ movie channels) and the thought of trying to pick up shows from all over in there is truly frightening. Well, it's frightening that I would try to watch everything (which I know I would try to do).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
I definitely watch more *shows* than before. I have so many cool things to watch that I never run out. Like 80% of what each of my replays record never gets watched before it deletes. I've got three 160s and a 120, all recording at medium. That's almost 400 hours possibly recorded all the time. That 80 hours a week that I potentially watch is really only 53 hours of content. That is almost 8 hours a day of TV watching - OUCH.


I guess I really only watch 10% of what records :) 27 hours a week is still alot but MUCH more reasonable :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
I definitely watch more *shows* than before. I have so many cool things to watch that I never run out. Like 80% of what each of my replays record never gets watched before it deletes. I've got three 160s and a 120, all recording at medium. That's almost 400 hours possibly recorded all the time. That 80 hours a week that I potentially watch is really only 53 hours of content. That is almost 8 hours a day of TV watching - OUCH.


I guess I really only watch 10% of what records :) 27 hours a week is still alot but MUCH more reasonable :)
Wow, that's an amazing amount. I think I just have to get over the mentality that I have to watch everything I record.


BTW, if you have 5xxx series boxes, have you tried standard quality? I've just recently switche an I like it a lot. With the numebr of boxes you have, that's almost 600 hours!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Another reason I find myself watching more is that I no longer miss shows that run in a series. For example, I watch Average Joe. Prior to RTV, if I missed one or two episodes, I'd be less inclined to keep watching because I would feel "out of the loop." Now that RTV keeps me in the loop, I am much more inclined to watch each episode all season long.


Also, I got into 24 last season after hearing rave reviews and IVS'ing the first two episodes prior to episode 3. Had I not seen the first 2 episodes, I wouldn't be much interested in coming in "late" to the game at episode 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Oh yeah, in all probability you will learn to leave stuff on your Replay, unwatched until that proverbial rainy day and you will stop being so concerned with seeing and recording everything (if only because you even if you miss a program, you realize the Find All Shows reveals that they play most things a buncha times, sometimes while you are sleeping).


I just reread your first post and you mention you do less stuff around the house. My experience is a little different. I find myself doing MORE things around the house (or in my case studio apartment) only because I can timeshift the TV I do want to watch. But yes, TV watching has definitely become more 'interactive'.


Anyway, I upgraded the HD on my Replay to 160 and even on High Quality, I get 50 hours. I've never needed much more than the capacity yet, even though I currently have a buncha recorded movies and tv shows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
For those who feel that they have to watch everything recorded: Get over it. Realize that while there is some good stuff on TeeVee, most of it is junk. Don't be afraid to delete something without ever watching it.


You don't read every email message you get do you? Think of junk television like spam that should be deleted without ever being seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by doshin
Oh yeah, in all probability you will learn to leave stuff on your Replay, unwatched until that proverbial rainy day and you will stop being so concerned with seeing and recording everything (if only because you even if you miss a program, you realize the Find All Shows reveals that they play most things a buncha times, sometimes while you are sleeping).


I just reread your first post and you mention you do less stuff around the house. My experience is a little different. I find myself doing MORE things around the house (or in my case studio apartment) only because I can timeshift the TV I do want to watch. But yes, TV watching has definitely become more 'interactive'.


Anyway, I upgraded the HD on my Replay to 160 and even on High Quality, I get 50 hours. I've never needed much more than the capacity yet, even though I currently have a buncha recorded movies and tv shows.
Less stuff aruond the house because I have about 5 hours after I get home to when I want to get to sleep. So, by the time I finish with workingout, eating supper, putting the kids to bed, it's about 9:00p.m. So, usually during the subsequent 2-3 hours, I'd watch an hour of TV and then go do house stuff (remodeling and the like). Now, I'm watching TV until about 11:30. As long as I get over it . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Changing viewing habits is more of a mental shift than anything else. It's hard to undo 35+ years of TV watching in a particular way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
I am definately watching more TV, and much more shows that I like. I originally got the replay because the few shows that I wanted to watch always seemed to be on when I wasn't home/able to watch TV. Now that I have it, I have found many shows that I like and never was around to watch. I even subscribed to HBO Showtime and Cinemax, something like 28 movie channels for another $20 a month, I figured it is a better value than renting/buying DVDS, especially with DVArchive and a DVD burner, the ones i really like i can keep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
I watch more quality TV in a shorter period of time. I don't worry about when a show will be on. Anything that I don't have time to watch now goes into DVArchive or is recorded on my SS. When the inevitable dry spell of re-runs comes along I have quality TV to watch that has been saved up.


Just my $0.02 worth,

Matthew in CO.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top