AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a serious question. When watching widescreen formatted programs (such as Band of Brothers on HBO) from Dish or cable, does the "stretch" mode of a 16:9 TV distort the picture? To get the 'truest' picture, should one change the aspect setting to 'full' or 'stretch' ('Just' on my 47" Panny). Thanks!

·
Registered
710 Posts
On both 16:9 sets I have, the proper mode -- assuming you're viewing a non-HD HBO feed -- is ZOOM mode which cuts off the top and bottom of the screen. Stretch mode would leave the black bars and stretch the image horizontally. Zoom should fill the screen w/o stretching.

Not sure what Panasonic calls it tho.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Panny also has ZOOM.....but wouldn't that cut off parts from the right and left of the screen? Seems that would be the case as the 'stretch' and full modes have the pic extending completely across the screen.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I leave my Panny in "Full" mode all of the time. It doesn't stretch HD programming as far as I can tell. All of the Digital broadcasts (Local News, non-HD, etc.) here in Atlanta matte a 4:3 image on a black 16:9 frame and it gives me black bars on the side instead of the gray Panny bars. I guess I said that right?? Fox actually has two Digital substations and one of them is a stretched picture in "Full" Mode for non 16:9 480p programming. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
710 Posts
If its a 4:3 source, ZOOM doesn't cut off the left/right, it just cuts off the "bars" from the sides that would be there if you were in NORMAL mode. So no actual information lost.

FULL would be the right setting to use for a "squeezed" 4:3 image such as the one that comes out of a 16:9 enhanced DVD that is setup to display to a 16:9 TV, but since you said HBO I'm assuming that's not the case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.