AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of at least 2 ways to watch Recorded TV from another PC through LAN:

1. File Sharing. Using Windows Explorer, browse the network and select the HTPC and browse until reaching inside the Recorded TV folders. The .wtv files are all there. They, can be played back using Windows Media Center / Windows Media Player or even VLC. The latter is especially good if the PC is not Windows 7, or not even Windows.

2. Media Sharing. Using Windows Explorer, browse the network and select the Media tab. Make sure the Windows PC is registered with Media Sharing. And then Windows 7 will stream the video, I believe at lower quality. This method uses less network resource then file share.

All of the above assume it is recorded OTV w/o protection.

I wonder if there are other ways to do it? I have a old PC with 1GB RAM but it has no HDD and no Windows license. I am thinking of repurposing it as an extender/set-bottom-box. I am thinking of going the Linux + Samba + VLC route. Have anyone tried it? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It will be cheaper and more user friendly with an extender. You can get legacy extenders or phat xbox360 for under $50.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here is a better and simpler way if your shows are not encrypted:

1) on your machine with the WTV recordings, share the folder with the WTV recordings

2) on the the machine(s) that you want to play the WTV recordings from other machine(s), in MCE or WMP, add the shared folder with WTV files to your media library

After doing 1 and 2, the WTV files will be populated in Recorded TV along with WTV files recorded directly on the same machine. I use this method to have 4 MCE machines record locally and share to the other machines on my network.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs2tx  /t/1520205/watching-wmc-wtv-recordings-using-another-pc#post_24431518

Here is a better and simpler way if your shows are not encrypted:

1) on your machine with the WTV recordings, share the folder with the WTV recordings

2) on the the machine(s) that you want to play the WTV recordings from other machine(s), in MCE or WMP, add the shared folder with WTV files to your media library

After doing 1 and 2, the WTV files will be populated in Recorded TV along with WTV files recorded directly on the same machine. I use this method to have 4 MCE machines record locally and share to the other machines on my network.

Until the end user at a remote TV presses record, and it will only record locally, without any record of the show having been recorded on any other PC. So, you will have to share all 4 machines among the other machines. So, now you have to maintain 4 recorded TV libraries on 4 machines.

In addition, end user 2, will also want to record the same program, but because there is no guide sharing, you will end up with 2 identical recordings of the same program on 2 machines. Which may possibly tie up 2 tuners to record the same thing, and possibly cause another recording fail because of unavailability of a tuner.

Echo is being offered for $109 for the next 2 days. If someone can build a functional WMC PC for under $110, I would like to see the parts list.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation  /t/1520205/watching-wmc-wtv-recordings-using-another-pc/0_100#post_24419276

I wonder if there are other ways to do it? I have a old PC with 1GB RAM but it has no HDD and no Windows license. I am thinking of repurposing it as an extender/set-bottom-box. I am thinking of going the Linux + Samba + VLC route. Have anyone tried it? Thoughts?

I think the best use of that PC in your case would be openelec. Setup ServerWMC on the windows box where your recordings exist (share their path on your network). Then with the openelec machine (XBMC) enable the wmc.pvr add-on and all the recordings will show up in a big list for you to choose from. You can group or ungroup them by title as well

1GB is fine for openelec, and it runs fine off a flash drive. You'll probably need a generic build for older hardware
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod  /t/1520205/watching-wmc-wtv-recordings-using-another-pc/0_100#post_24433156

Until the end user at a remote TV presses record, and it will only record locally, without any record of the show having been recorded on any other PC. So, you will have to share all 4 machines among the other machines. So, now you have to maintain 4 recorded TV libraries on 4 machines.

In addition, end user 2, will also want to record the same program, but because there is no guide sharing, you will end up with 2 identical recordings of the same program on 2 machines. Which may possibly tie up 2 tuners to record the same thing, and possibly cause another recording fail because of unavailability of a tuner.

Echo is being offered for $109 for the next 2 days. If someone can build a functional WMC PC for under $110, I would like to see the parts list.
  1. First, that experience won't happen with wmc.pvr, as the shared guide only records from the "server" instance
  2. Better yet, the OP isn't worried about copy-once
  3. The echo can really only function as a wtv extender

I can definitely build an x86 box w/ 2GB of RAM and a 8-16GB flash drive running OE for less than $110, but not all the parts would be new. Further, even though this NUC would cost double when you add the RAM and flash drive, it would be more than 10x as useful for someone wanting to playback blu-ray or 3d sbs. The utter inability for the echo to playback so many files at standard 1:1 bitrate makes it a show-stopper for anyone not locked into a copy-once world

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer  /t/1520205/watching-wmc-wtv-recordings-using-another-pc#post_24434061

I can definitely build an x86 box w/ 2GB of RAM and a 8-16GB flash drive running OE for less than $110, but not all the parts would be new. Further, even though this NUC would cost double when you add the RAM and flash drive, it would be more than 10x as useful for someone wanting to playback blu-ray or 3d sbs. The utter inability for the echo to playback so many files at standard 1:1 bitrate makes it a show-stopper for anyone not locked into a copy-once world

Even if you utilize existing parts, they still have the initial cost associated with them, please use those in your calculations.

Sure, I have a bunch of old cases, PSU's, HDDs/SSDs, ODDs, memory, CPU's, motherboards, Video cards, and OS licenses. But, can I say that it costs me $0 to build it, because I did not have to buy them for this particular build?

Answer is no.

They still had initial cost associated with them.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod  /t/1520205/watching-wmc-wtv-recordings-using-another-pc#post_24437854

Even if you utilize existing parts, they still have the initial cost associated with them, please use those in your calculations.

Sure, I have a bunch of old cases, PSU's, HDDs/SSDs, ODDs, memory, CPU's, motherboards, Video cards, and OS licenses. But, can I say that it costs me $0 to build it, because I did not have to buy them for this particular build?

Answer is no.

They still had initial cost associated with them.

Sure, add this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16814131511

(For $10 AR) to any of these core 2 or newer (included pic with first just in case they are removed)

newyork.craigslist.org/brk/sys/4357787008.html newyork.craigslist.org/brk/sys/4357787008.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/sys/4360280474.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/sys/4341899326.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation  /t/1520205/watching-wmc-wtv-recordings-using-another-pc/0_100#post_24434647

Never heard of openelec. Got to check it out! I assume it can playback unprotected .wtv without issue?
yes

·
Registered
646 Posts
What if one has a second PC already?

I'm looking at dropping DirecTV and picking up a network tuner.

I already have three 360s and another PC to cover all TVs in the house, but I'm worried the PC might not work as an extender after reading this thread.

Is it possible for all of my devices to have a single source for recorded TV? I would rather not manage multiple PCs to record shows, only for playback.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer  /t/1520205/watching-wmc-wtv-recordings-using-another-pc#post_24440291

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/sys/4341899326.html

The other 2 looked OK, these ones need a license.
Quote:
These computers will need to be activated though (That part is up to you, or we can do it for a fee).

I assume you live in Brooklyn, since you linked those. Let me tell you a little story from about 20 years ago, about purchasing a computer in Brooklyn.

So, I am 17 year old kid, looking to buy my first computer. Back then, there was no craigslist (which I wouldn't have been able to access without a computer anyway), but there are newspaper ads. While the Gateways and Dells are sold for astronomical, for a 17 year old, prices of $1500 to $2000, this ad offered Pentium I PC for $500, brand new.

I go into the shop, sure they have a Pentium I PC for $500, but it has no RAM, no Hard drive, no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, no OS. $500 buys you a case with a motherboard and CPU. If you wanted all those extras, you had to pay.

I was beyond upset. Having made the subway trek from the Bronx to Brooklyn (I think it was in Canarsie) which is an easy 2 hour subway ride. Luckily, I was able to pick up a Packard Bell at Caldor for $800 on Black Friday, that had everything a 17 year old needed.

As with most everything in NYC, Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt  /t/1520205/watching-wmc-wtv-recordings-using-another-pc/0_100#post_24440346

What if one has a second PC already?

I'm looking at dropping DirecTV and picking up a network tuner.

I already have three 360s and another PC to cover all TVs in the house, but I'm worried the PC might not work as an extender after reading this thread.

Is it possible for all of my devices to have a single source for recorded TV? I would rather not manage multiple PCs to record shows, only for playback.

These two things don't mix
  1. Real extenders (Echo, 360, etc)
  2. PCs as extenders running openelec (XBMC) using ServerWMC on a "Server" instance running W7 or W8 w/ WMC

With a whole home DVR you have to go either
  1. WMC w/ extenders
  2. ServerWMC w/ multiple XBMC clients

Also, you have only one option for copy-once. This thread started with OTA in mind

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod  /t/1520205/watching-wmc-wtv-recordings-using-another-pc/0_100#post_24440376

I go into the shop, sure they have a Pentium I PC for $500, but it has no RAM, no Hard drive, no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, no OS. $500 buys you a case with a motherboard and CPU. If you wanted all those extras, you had to pay.

I was beyond upset. Having made the subway trek from the Bronx to Brooklyn (I think it was in Canarsie) which is an easy 2 hour subway ride. Luckily, I was able to pick up a Packard Bell at Caldor for $800 on Black Friday, that had everything a 17 year old needed.

As with most everything in NYC, Caveat Emptor.
No licenses needed for openelec

Only looked at NY craigslist since it says you are located in Amherst

You get the idea

It's a little easier to see what you are getting with craigslist. I got some patriot viper 16GB ddr3-1833 off craigslist 4 months ago for $70. It was over $160 retail at that time. I also exclusively shop even numbered prices and "by owner." Anything that looks like a business doesn't "get my business" on craigslist at least

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer  /t/1520205/watching-wmc-wtv-recordings-using-another-pc#post_24440414

No licenses needed for openelec

Only looked at NY craigslist since it says you are located in Amherst

You get the idea

It's a little easier to see what you are getting with craigslist. I got some patriot viper 16GB ddr3-1833 off craigslist 4 months ago for $70. It was over $160 retail at that time. I also exclusively shop even numbered prices and "by owner." Anything that looks like a business doesn't "get my business" on craigslist at least

Oh yeah, openelec is free.

I moved as far from Brooklyn as possible, while still remaining in NY state. I can see Toronto skyline on a clear night, and Niagara Falls is just another run down town. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts