AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am looking to brainstorm a bit about speaker cabinet material options.

I have at my disposal a factory that specializes in waterjet fabrication. I was recently hired to take on the marketing efforts for the company, and without any decent access to a wood shop, I am trying to think of how I can use this resource for building some speakers.

If you aren't familiar with the technology, the machines are two-axis CNC tables that cut material using high pressure water mixed with garnet dust. They cut pretty much anything - from foam to stone to titanium. BUT - whatever they cut is going to get wet. Obviously MDF is out of the picture (I have yet to convince them that they need a CNC router).

I think granite would make a great material, but I don't really want to build bookshelf speakers, and I'm not sure I want 40" tower speakers made from granite until I have a permanent home for them (I own, but my family is growing and my house isn't).

I have seen one example of someone using waterjet to make panels for a cabinet out of plywood. I know ply can handle water better than MDF, but it still isn't ideal.

You can see the variety of materials we use at our website HERE .

Am I overlooking anything obvious? Help me get creative.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
just out of curiosity, what would the cutouts in #2 cost?

using 1/4" anodized aluminum for the material...

and cutouts for the horn and drives?

prices for 10 / 100 / 1000?

·
Registered
116 Posts
corian or other solid surface counter top materials which are lighter than granite but just as beautiful..

Otherwise stretch something over the wood and cut it all so the water doesn't sit on it. I think you'll be surprised how little soak you'll get cutting MDF on it... try it out!

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Aluminum but at least half an inch thick. Not cheap.

Second the corian and other solid surface suggestion. Probably your best option. Not much heavier than MDF.

Another great option is composite if you have the ability to make or buy flat panels. One inch solid glass is probably the most economical option. A carbon aluminum honeycomb around 1.5 inches would be awesome and easily cut by waterjet butnot something you can easily find and not cheap.

Other not so expensive options are just solid polymers. One inch uhmw isn't all that bad. Cheaper than one inch aluminum for sure but not as cheap as mdf. Polycarbonate might also be cool. Pretty cheap, tough and stiff, and you can molecularly bond it to make clear joints.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I don't think there is a huge advantage to water jet because it can only cut straight. Any saw can cut straight.

I can see the desire to use the special tool available but it limits so much of the project. How are you going to recess the drivers?

Here is a granite project you guys may have not run across.
http://clearwave.forumotion.net/cld-...build-t119.htm

I believe it was cut on a CNC though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know it isn't the best tool for building speakers - but it is a tool I have access to so I'm exploring my options. I was 70% of the way through some TMWW Mains a number of years ago when the guy letting me use his shop was evicted. All my work was thrown into a dumpster in the rain - it was a nightmare. I haven't had the opportunity to redo it.

I still have the entire BOM in my basement, waiting for cabinets. I just don't have access to an equipped woodshop. The waterjet resource became available recently so I'm trying to see what I might be able to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/19651684

I don't think there is a huge advantage to water jet because it can only cut straight. Any saw can cut straight.

I can see the desire to use the special tool available but it limits so much of the project. How are you going to recess the drivers?

Here is a granite project you guys may have not run across.
http://clearwave.forumotion.net/cld-...build-t119.htm

I believe it was cut on a CNC though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are a couple guys that rent space in our factory for doing kitchen counters and whatnot. They have the tools to rabbet the baffles. And that could be reinforced with aluminum if it was too weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/19651684

How are you going to recess the drivers?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Assuming my drawing reflects the correct size...

If you wanted 10 of them, it would probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 a piece before anodization. We have to outsource the anodizing and that would run another $1-$2 each - maybe more depending on the color you want.

100 would be around $20/each or so. If you want 1,000, we might be getting near $15/each.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss further. These quotes are rough around the edges. I could get a formal quote if you want one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/19648769

just out of curiosity, what would the cutouts in #2 cost?

using 1/4" anodized aluminum for the material...

and cutouts for the horn and drives?

prices for 10 / 100 / 1000?

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"What if you wanted to flush mount the drivers?"

i was thinking simple gaskets could do it, noah.

"If you wanted 10 of them, it would probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 a piece before anodization. We have to outsource the anodizing and that would run another $1-$2 each - maybe more depending on the color you want."

great info! that is much less than i thought that they would cost. there are many manufacturers that frequent this board, so don't be surprised if somebody comes knocking on your door. the pic is a mockup using a 15" woof, so it would use more material and have a higher cost, but the cost per size that you are showing is quite favorable.

this design or something very close to it has a ton going for it. i won't go into it all here.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,156 Posts
I've seen some interesting contemporary ceramic tile that would make for interesting front speaker baffles. Most come in a 24x24 inch size, some larger. I think I would laminate to a backer of MDF to deaden any resonances.

One example:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got a link? What is the name of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19658635

I've seen some interesting contemporary ceramic tile that would make for interesting front speaker baffles. Most come in a 24x24 inch size, some larger. I think I would laminate to a backer of MDF to deaden any resonances.

One example:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts