Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys-

I'm looking for a remote to be used in a bathtub or hottub, that is waterproof and would even ideally float on top of the water. I've done searches for this here in this forum and on remote central, but have come up with very little.

I've read suggestions from people to shrinkwrap remotes or put them in baggies, but this wouldn't do it for me. I'd like a remote designed for wet locations. It doesn't even have to be fancy, just preprogrammed with basic commands for a few items or learning.

Anything you all know of? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
188 Posts
The product looks interesting, but whoever programmed Balboa's website ought to be shot. Their homepage corrupted my display so badly that I had difficulty getting to the Task Manager to kill the window.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Plastic,

I had no problem with it... it's a pdf file so it you don't have acrobat reader it might have gagged.

Chris,

Is this what you were looking for?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, David, yeah, that sure seems to fit the bill with everything I was looking for. Too bad there isn't more info on their website. Not even anything on that particular remote other than the .pdf file and a press pre-release statement. I'm not even sure if it's being produced yet.

Anybody know anything else about this remote? (or others) I'm curious as to the cost. I'll call the company later and ask about it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David_Larkins
I had no problem with it... it's a pdf file so it you don't have acrobat reader it might have gagged.
David, the PDF file was fine. I got curious about what else Balboa offered, so I chopped everything after ".com/" off the address. It was their homepage, as I mentioned above, that corrupted my display, wiping out the bottom half of any line of text in any window or menu on my desktop when I loaded it the second time.

The first time I loaded the homepage, everything looked fine except for a corrupted ticker on that page. Since that's where the problem started, I'm blaming bad Javascript.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am also looking for a waterproof remote for a similar indication. I can't seem to find where to get this remote. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I saw one a couple of months ago... I recall thinking it was a cool idea, but can't recall where I saw it (sorry)... but at least you know it does exist. I think it was in one of the "higher end" (read expensive) catalogs... Frontgate, or Hammacher Schlemmer... I recall it was basic functions only and cost around $50.

Another idea, might be to use one of the IPAQ type devices. I know it would be overkill for a remote... but am very aware of units which are designed to allow the IPAQ to be inserted into and keep it water/weather safe.

The best idea... I would think would be to just use a water-safe keypad... install it somewhere near the unit and wire it to your system, these exist and can be cheap or expensive depending on what you decide you like.

Lastly, I would consider, if anything you are using is actually outdoors... remember IR gets ALOT of interference from sunlight and the like. Even a bathtub or hottub with alot of windows will likely present problems. So be sure you will be able to use the device there before you invest alot in a remote.

I usually recommend RF or keypads for outdoor applications. And Keypads only for very sunny indoor locations.

Hope this helps,

BigRed

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just called Balboa. Ouch! $250!!! seems like a lot to control the TV from the tub or shower.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Buy a cheap Radio Shak control and use a space bag o romething like that, so the bag will be in vacum... you should have a problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.