AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2622/waterworld.html

Can't wait.

Thankfully it is not the extended cut that was released on DVD recently which was an ABC port without swearing, violence was cut, and more importantly Jeanne Tripplehorn nudity was cut
A lot of work would need to go into an extended edition before release.

A shame thought its Blu-Ray release will be barebones. None the less I am so there for this Blu-Ray release

·
Registered
523 Posts
WOW.. now all they need to do is release jurassic park on bluray and i will be set!!

i was hoping for the extended-extended version that i saw on sci-fi channel several years ago.. it was like 4 hours long but was perfect.. it explained so much more especially the scene of where he went down into the city that was underwater..

edit: i just read that the sci-fi cut was the original ABC cut as well... i thought the sci fi cut was more of an original directors cut however it was not.. it was heavily edited.. ie no swear words and as you mentioned no nakedness...

so maybe they will do an unedited uncut version of the film on bluray at some point.. that would be about 5 hours worth..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterwo..._human_mutants

"The initial filmed script ran at over five hours."

·
Registered
577 Posts
It is not the extended cut; it's just a port of the HD-DVD's theatrical cut. The extended cut (even with its minor language, violence and ass shot cuts) is so markedly superior in plotting to the truncated theatrical release that this is an easy (but aggravating) pass.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Personally, I'd only be interested in getting an uncencorsed version of the extended cut. Even though it was much longer, the story was far more coherent and the characters far more well defined. You learned a lot more about the world the character lived in and there were all sorts of other little touches like the revelation at the end that dry land is actually...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Mount Everest.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv47lg70 /forum/post/16998141

WOW.. now all they need to do is release jurassic park on bluray and i will be set!!

i was hoping for the extended-extended version that i saw on sci-fi channel several years ago.. it was like 4 hours long but was perfect.. it explained so much more especially the scene of where he went down into the city that was underwater..

edit: i just read that the sci-fi cut was the original ABC cut as well... i thought the sci fi cut was more of an original directors cut however it was not.. it was heavily edited.. ie no swear words and as you mentioned no nakedness...

so maybe they will do an unedited uncut version of the film on bluray at some point.. that would be about 5 hours worth..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterwo..._human_mutants

"The initial filmed script ran at over five hours."

According to IMDB the version which restored around 40 minutes of footage was footage originally cut out by Kevin Costner and Universal pictures and thus the footage being restored does make it more of a directors cut.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114898/alternateversions

I understand Reynolds and Costner were great friends until they shot this movie and they fell out as Reynolds vision for the film and Costner's differed and Reynolds walked off the actual shoot or was fired depending on your sources and Costner apparently finished the shoot and edited the film and those two have not spoken since.

I'd love to see a seamless branching edition of both cuts of the movie. Almost four years into the life of Blu Ray and they still aren't utilizing the technology and using seamless branching more.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/16998365

Personally, I'd only be interested in getting an uncencorsed version of the extended cut. Even though it was much longer, the story was far more coherent and the characters far more well defined. You learned a lot more about the world the character lived in and there were all sorts of other little touches like the revelation at the end that dry land is actually...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Mount Everest.

Me too. Wonder how long our wait will be?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Wow! Is this the same Waterworld that everybody seemed to hate? I myself liked it very much but I'm surprised no one has popped up here to tear it to shreds. I also have the HD DVD version at home.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/16998368

I understand Reynolds and Costner were great friends until they shot this movie and they fell out as Reynolds vision for the film and Costner's differed and Reynolds walked off the actual shoot or was fired depending on your sources and Costner apparently finished the shoot and edited the film and those two have not spoken since.

However, I recently watched a special on the career of Kevin Costner on the Biography channel that was filmed in the current decade and it had several modern-day interviews with Kevin Reynolds where he was effusively complimentary about Kevin the actor, the director and the man. Seems that, at least from his perspective, he considers the hatchet buried.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
From wikipedia

Quote:
Collaborations with Kevin Costner

He began a long friendship with Kevin Costner at this time as his director in Fandango. Costner would again be his leading man in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves; he also advised Costner behind the scenes for the epic western Dances with Wolves--in particular the buffalo hunting scenes. They collaborated one final time for the post-apocalyptic film Waterworld (1995). Mid-way through filming, conflict led the two friends to sever ties and Reynolds walked away from filming; Reynolds was later quoted as having said of Costner: "Now Kevin gets to work with his favorite actor and director." Later, Reynolds and Costner reunited to record a commentary track for the extended special edition DVD of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and their polite, friendly interplay leaves the audience to wonder if they put their tumultuous experiences behind them.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/16998167

If it's the same POS transfer seen on HD-DVD... no sale.

Agreed, 100%.

On a 120" daigonal screen, viewed from about 8 feet, I've seen standard dvds that look better.

Considering how fantastic a movie as old as "South Pacific" can look on BD, one has to wonder how a movie that was made relatively recently can end up not only looking so bad, but have actually been released to the public.

But whatever the excuse is, whoever or whatever was responsible for the poor result should be corrected and the BD process should go back to step 1.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/16999308

Wow! Is this the same Waterworld that everybody seemed to hate? I myself liked it very much but I'm surprised no one has popped up here to tear it to shreds. I also have the HD DVD version at home.

Me too. Even though that's threadcrapping and is generally frowned upon, as evidenced in the AI thread, it is pretty common here

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I hope people who buy this like their edge enhancement nice and thick because that's what they are going to get.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I have the original DVD version (in a jewel case!) and always thought this movie was better than billed. Unfortunately, when movies don't do well (financially), the studio is often reluctant to contribute any $$ to another release (whether it's simply editing or "cleaning" up existing scenes). For that reason, it's possible we'll never see a different/longer cut of Waterworld on disc; I think the only exception to this rule is Blade Runner, which had a (multiple) award-winning director with production clout behind it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Unless this is a wonderful new transfer that blows my socks off, then it is 100% worthless. So much they could put on this disc!

Morons one and all of them for not sticking the extended cut on in any form.

·
Registered
28,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/16998368

Reynolds walked off the actual shoot

Or swam off, as the case may be.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts