AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few months I have been involved in a number of disccussions regarding wattage ratings. I have argued that amoung sub $1000 amps/recievers only a few manufactures (H/K, Outlaw, amoung a few others) use "real" numbers and that most do not (Sony, Pioneer). I have stood by my arguement that a true wattage rating for a home theater reciever should be all channels driven 20hz -20khz. Many have disagreed with my opionion about that and I'm sure many more will. I was flipping through a Sound and Vision magazine last night and saw something interesting...

Note these measurements are at 1Khz and not even 20-20

MARANTZ SR4500 Rated power by manufacture - 80 W x 7 into 8 ohms with maximum 0.08% THD

DOLBY DIGITAL PERFORMANCE: (Output at clipping 1khz 8ohms)

1 Channel - 118 watts

2 Channels - 98 watts

5 Channels - 76 watts

7 Channels - 64 watts

Pioneer VSX-815 Rated power by manufacture - 100 W x 7 into 8 ohms with maximum 1% THD

1 Channel - 110 watts

2 Channels - 95 watts

5 Channels - 70 watts

7 Channels - 61 watts

Sony STR-DE698 90 W x 7 into 6 ohms with maximum 0.09% THD

1 Channel - 141 watts

2 Channels - 122 watts

5 Channels - 35 watts

7 Channels - 31 watts

With all channels driven not one of the above recievers produced the wattage they claimed with all channels driven at 1khz (not even 20hz-20khz which is how I belive the tests should be).

Another point I would like to make. Some people on the forum have claimed that with all channels driven the manufacures spec will probably be off by 10 watts at most and I have claimed that it would be much more than that. I think the numbers above show why I feel that way.

Here is the link to the Sound and Vision test results:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...ontrol_lab.pdf

The whole article is on there site to if anyone is interested.

P.S. I have also stated that magazines are not to be trusted as they get advertising dollars and don't give bad reviews. As bad as the Sony did they hardly dogged it all which is sad considering they are selling a 90x7 reciever that puts out 31x7.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
No dispute on the numbers, they speak for themselves, but really the point often comes down to how often will all channels be driven to full output.

The nearly universal opinion I've seen seems to be almost never, so why would a company spend the money to make these things do that when very few actually would make use of it?

For "Brand X" to go to this extent, they almost certainly would blow themselves out of the target market.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts

whoaru99 said:
No dispute on the numbers, they speak for themselves, but really the point often comes down to how often will all channels be driven to full output.

The nearly universal opinion I've seen seems to be almost never, so why would a company spend the money to make these things do that when very few actually would make use of it?

QUOTE]

Well, I think when you look at specs that say, Sony STR-DE698 90 W x 7 into 6 ohms with maximum 0.09% THD

I expect that unit to be able to push out 90 watts in all seven channels... at once not 31 watts X 7!!

I believe it is misleading advertising.

Craig

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
This has been debated from many angles..

To me the pertinent issue is that each brand/model should be measured under accepted industry standards and then this should be clearly specified.

Certain brands have more integrity here, they spec it one way to appear like all channels driven but then fails it badly..

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code
This has been debated from many angles..

To me the pertinent issue is that each brand/model should be measured under accepted industry standards and then this should be clearly specified.

Certain brands have more integrity here, they spec it one way to appear like all channels driven but then fails it badly..

Oh yes... I have seen many a topic on this subject but 31 watts X 7 when Sony claimed 90 watts X 7!! Wow!!! :eek:

Craig

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

whoaru99 said:

I failt to see that side of the argument. If I were buying a reciever rated at 100x7 I would expect it to put out 100x7 and not 30x7. As far as "why would a company spend the money to make these things do that when very few actually would make use of it?" My answer to that is because that is what they are claiming it will do. When the average consumer looks at power ratings I'm sure they assume that a 100x7 channel ratings means that they have 100x7 (or 700 watts) watts of power available to them. The Pioneer rated at 100x7 or 700 watt reciever is only capable of 427 watts and the Sony rated at 90x7 or 630 watt reciever is only producing a total of 217 watts.

I'm not trying to pick on Pioneer on Sony here. I do believe that Pioneer makes some good recievers that are excellent values and provide great bang for your buck. I just believe they do not truly adverise the power output of there recievers and am tired of seeing people on here with a 1014's, 1015's and other budget recievers thinking they have as much power as someone who has an external amp or H/K reciever(which are rated correctly) when they are all listed as 100x7.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
It would be better if they actually used decent modesl to test this theory on, in stead of the total junk they used. Sony DE, nuff said. Pioneer 815? C'mon, how about teh great numbers that a 1014/1015 can produce?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Agreed CCarncross, and the 1015 only runs around $500.

The Elites are commonly very close to their rated specs 20Hz-20kHz as well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.