AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mastering engineer said it on the internets!

So it must be true.
http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpo...8&postcount=38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Diament /forum/post/0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbang /forum/post/0

Well, I decided to try and keep lossless audio files on an ipod as a source (Just because its so darn handy when I don't feel like digging through my 2,000 cds). It's not perfect, but I think the sound is fair enough for such a tiny device. The only thing I've noticed is that the midrange is a little ragged for my tastes. Just a little thin and sometimes harsh. I can hear it just a tad on vocals. I don't want to mess with my entire system just to tune it to this little ipod. I bought a Grant Fidelity Tube buffer, which turned out to be ineffective (invisible, I'd say ) so now I'm thinking about sticking an eq someplace just for the ipod and tweak up the sound. Apples own eq settings are a little too dramatic for my tastes. I could Rockbox the ipod for the softwares equalizer, but I'm a mac man and I like iTunes.

I would submit that much of the "edge" is a function of playing the so-called lossless files. I realize these save space but have you tried importing a CD as raw, uncompressed AIF or WAV?

In my experience, these have a clear sonic advantage over even lossless files, which will inevitably be an additional step removed from the clock, hence be more "digital" sounding.

Just my perspective.

Best regards,

Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
But to what psi# must my inner-tubes be inflated before this deleterious digitalitory effect becomes audible to me?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think my definition of lossless is different than theirs...

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/studio.htm

Quote:
Monitoring is provided by Magnepan's Magneplanar MG 3.6 loudspeakers. For the technically inclined, these are planar magnetic loudspeakers with a dipolar radiation pattern and a true ribbon tweeter. These speakers are very revealing of all aspects of recorded quality and they have an uncanny ability to sound like Music.

The speakers are bi-wired. With speakers that provide the appropriate connection terminals, bi-wiring provides separate cable paths from the power amplifier to the speaker's woofer (bass) and tweeter (treble) sections. Having these paths separated from each other results in better definition, smoother bass, clearer midrange and treble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts