AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just bought a pair from ArchonX! Very excited to hear them! Gonna be pairing them with a BIC F12 in my living room.
Yes you did! I shipped them out today (just PM'd you with the tracking and such). You should have them on hand by Thursday. Interested to hear your impressions on them. Please enjoy!

3 more Wavecrest Audio HVL-1 speakers available if anyone is interested :D

·
Banned
1,191 Posts
Yup, you've definitely fallen out of love with the Wavecrests. It may have been a situation where you bought them and liked them because they were new because one can't 'make' a speaker have a certain sound, it is what it is. Comparing them to mostly tower speakers and then finding that they come up short is not really a surprise. There's plenty out there better, but opinion seem's to be that for the money, they deliver. Good luck with your efforts at selling them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Of course I am not knocking these speakers and I can see why some would like them. I just do not think they are worth the asking price when there as much better speakers for around the same or slightly more. I can guarantee 9 out of 10 people would prefer the sound of the SVS Prime to these. I heard them and they are not even in the same ballpark.
Just curious, which SVS Prime are you referring to? The bookshelves or the satellites?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thread revival time. I’m coming up on two years of ownership on a 3.0 setup of Wavecrest HVL-1’s. They are still doing a great job in my “HT-lite” apartment setup.

Recently I’ve had an itch to get new speakers. It was 90% wanting a different look and 10% wanting better speakers, but, ultimately, I know the true upgrade path is a subwoofer and couldn't justify spending the money. So instead I bought two pairs of basic Sanus stands (16” and 31”) to change up the look and to get my center speaker out of the TV stand. The speaker base plates for the 16” were larger, so I used those on the 31” stands to more securely support the L/R Wavecrests.

Money well spent considering it was only $37 for the 16” pair and $45 for the 31” pair, leaving one 16" stand left over. I now have more streamlined aesthetics for the fronts, as well as improved center channel performance thanks to it no longer being down in the TV stand. The center improvement was a pleasant surprise and proves once again that you should never underestimate speaker placement, even if it sounded good before.

I think the next move will be to find some slim stick style stands so I can un-retire a pair Micca MB42X speakers for surround duty. I’ve never thought I had space for surrounds, but last year I re-did my living room layout and think it’s doable now. Longer term, I hope to be buying a house of my own and finally getting that subwoofer.

Lastly, what’s going on with Wavecrest these days? There’s been little to speak of since I bought these speakers two years ago. The website is of course still there, but are they working on anything new? Different wrap/grill cloth colors? A more premium wood veneer option? A tower? Something with a ribbon tweeter for music listeners? Just curious to know if Wavecrest is ever going to expand beyond their one speaker model.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,766 Posts
Last time I spoke with Curtis he was working on a true center, but he mentioned maybe not being able to complete the project because the R&D costs were difficult to justify relative to the sales volume. And that I don't get; other than perhaps the appearance, which is a bit generic, there's really nothing to complain about with these speakers. They do everything very well, especially when you consider the price. I anticipated these being a hit, but for whatever reason it appears they may not have gotten the market share they deserve. That's unfortunate.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Hi guys...Wavecrest is doing well. Well enough that an audio company was worried enough to send us a letter to change our name. They felt that the word "Crest" would confuse people into thinking we were affiliated with them even though we are not even in a competing space.

R&D cost is not really an issue, it is building and delivering high value, and making sure there is enough demand. The HVL-1 is a great little speaker...and can be used as a center without issue. We wouldn't be able to sell as many center specific speakers...and that takes a bite out of the value we can offer.

What's interesting is lately we have been getting more orders for single HVL-1's.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, I have to admit something...

I have always been into electronics (audio, computers, cameras, video games, etc.) but with speakers I have always wanted to get real good ones, but never really wanted to cough up the money for "great" speakers. While knowledgeable and more than capable to hold my own in certain areas of audio, I did not know at the time what good sounding speakers were.

When I owned the 5x WCA HVL-1 setup, I was coming off owning my first high end speakers (to me at least). I had 4 Ascend CMT-170 SE and 1 Ascend CMT-340 SE, which I regretted selling. At first I hated the way they sounded and thought they were dull, but I was used to cheap speakers that accentuated the highs and/or lows. But after breaking them in and hearing them, they were true, rich, detailed, and very unforgiving of bad recordings. In other words, they were great speakers and very good monitors.

I at first loved the sound of the HVL-1, reflected by my first review of them. I also criticized them after, but I will tell you where I went wrong and where a LOT of it was my setup and poor room. Maybe this will help a person who was in the same shoes as me.

MY issues:

1. Room correction:
I had a Marantz with Audyssey XT-32. One of the best room correction systems and a receiver brand renowned for being great sounding and musical. What could go wrong? Well, Audyssey was taking the life out of my speakers and while it did set distances and levels fairly well, it really struggled with my small 10.3' by 10.7' room. In my mind, Marantz and Audyssey would make my speakers sing. Nope, you are most often better off letting it ballpark your settings, then fine tuning with a good SPL meter and a tape measure. Or just completely manually tuning your settings with the same tools. My room is only so-so for sound, but I got my system sounding great regardless. It just took a lot more than auto-room correction algorithms to do it!

2. Cheap speakers: Having owned low end Polk, Sony, Jamo, Boston Acoustics, and Fluance speakers, you get used to the sound. They sound great to your untrained ears, but imaging is usually lacking, highs and lows often exaggerated (or plain low quality). I also have heard mid level Klipsch at a friend's house and while they are great for live sound and sound good in their own right, I do not like the sound. Better than my speakers were, but not my choice. If you are like me and spent from the time you were 5 years old to the time you were 30, you would get used to the sound as well! The Pioneer Andrew Jones set was a rare exception, cheap but "higher end" speaker quality. Not exaggerated sound, more accurate. But this is why the HVL-1 did not sound good to me.

After having owned JBL LSR305 (dang, amazing for the price!) and having a few higher end audio interfaces (Universal Audio Apollo 8 Quad, MOTU 8A, and a Steinberg UR44) I got to know what a good speaker sounds like. I had the LSR310S sub to handle the low end and fill duty for movies and TV. It made me appreciate the sound of the Wavecrest Audio HVL-1 as well as my former Ascend setup even more.

I now own Emptek R55TiR towers, R56CiR center, and R5BiR bookshelf speakers for surround duties with a RSL Speedwolfer 10S, they just came today and OMG...this is what speakers should sound like! Rich, detailed, balanced, accurate, not exaggerated. They are not even broken in yet, but truly nice looking and performing speakers. I am running them with a Yamaha RX-V781BL receiver, did a multi-point YPAO run. Then broke out the tape measure and Radio Shack SPL meter, and though it sounded decent calibrated, it sounded way better manually tweaked with proper distances and level matched with the SPL meter. I will tweak it further soon with my Umik-1 Mic and REW, but it already sounds incredible without crazy treble or bass.

These ARE great speakers, these WaveCrest Audio HVL-1. As are the Ascend speakers, as are the RBH (Emptek) speakers. I was wrong and not afraid to admit it! They are not beautiful speakers, but they are accurate and sound rich + smooth.

The point? If you are willing to invest in a receiver and decent speakers, spend an extra $50-100 and get a decent SPL meter (Radio Shack is fine!) and a tape measure. Read up a bit, don't think the auto-setup of your receiver will automatically make your system sound better! Learn from my mistakes!

I hope this helps anyone looking to buy these. They are not the best speakers ever, but tremendous value for the price paid and only the JBL LSR305 are my recommendation above these for the price range. But that is a powered studio monitor as opposed to a passive audio speaker. I would recommend either, depending on your needs. Studio setup? JBL. Preamp outs on your preamp/receiver? Either with slight nod to the JBL. Need passive speakers? WCA. Both punch way above their level and price points.

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
Location, location, location .. it's the most common rookie mistake. There is no substitute for location!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I am still enjoying my HVL-1's in my second HT room. Question for Curtis, I was wondering if you sell more of these to people interested in HT or music? What I find interesting is these seem to rarely get recommended for HT, but more for desktop or two-channel music speakers. I find them very good for HT as they can get loud and dynamic. Interested in your answer and anyone else's experience using them in a HT set up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
I am still enjoying my HVL-1's in my second HT room. Question for Curtis, I was wondering if you sell more of these to people interested in HT or music? What I find interesting is these seem to rarely get recommended for HT, but more for desktop or two-channel music speakers. I find them very good for HT as they can get loud and dynamic. Interested in your answer and anyone else's experience using them in a HT set up.

Thanks.
Hey Gov!

Good to know that you still enjoying your HVL-1's!

We feel the HVL-1, for its size, is a good "all around" speaker. We intended it to be a "gateway drug" to good audio.

That said, most of our sales are in pairs, which is how most people start out. Our second highest sales are in singles, most as a followup to previous purchases, but also a fair amount to people that have never purchased from us before. Add all of this to questions we get from customers and potential customers, it seems we have a bit more desktop/two-channel users vs HT users.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Thanks.
I am reviving this thread, but I am giving my Wavecrest speakers to my friend for a housewarming present, and I was wondering how the speaker is on its side for a center? He might be able to place it vertically, but not sure. Or would it be better to get another specific center channel speaker?

·
Registered
18,424 Posts
I am reviving this thread, but I am giving my Wavecrest speakers to my friend for a housewarming present, and I was wondering how the speaker is on its side for a center? He might be able to place it vertically, but not sure. Or would it be better to get another specific center channel speaker?
If HT/TV is his main priority and he's not sitting real close to the speakers, it'd be well worth it to splurge on a good MTM center like the Emotiva C1, IMO.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If HT/TV is his main priority and he's not sitting real close to the speakers, it'd be well worth it to splurge on a good MTM center like the Emotiva C1, IMO.
His budget is $150 max for the center speaker (he's getting the cheap daytons for surrounds). What would be a good timbre match for this speaker? I think he did want all 3 of the same, but if there is something that is way better it would be something to seriously consider!

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
His budget is $150 max for the center speaker (he's getting the cheap daytons for surrounds). What would be a good timbre match for this speaker? I think he did want all 3 of the same, but if there is something that is way better it would be something to seriously consider!
polk s30 .. if it's still on sale at amazon..

·
Registered
18,424 Posts
I have no idea how the HVL-1 sounds as a center, why not you try it first in your own system? (I'm assuming you already have a different pair of L/R speakers.)

$150 puts him in the BIC FH-6LCR bracket. It's a no-risk experiment when ordered from Wallyworld...if he notices any of these fabled unbearable "timbre" irregularities he can easily take it back to the store for a full refund. (Reviews on Amazon)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-FH6-LCR-Dual-6-1-2-175W-Bookshelf-LCR-Speaker/10298559

There's also this $80 Emotiva MTM which would probably be a closer "timbre match" but has no return option:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers/products/basx-lcr

Reactions: cschang

·
Registered
344 Posts
polk s30 .. if it's still on sale at amazon..
I have no idea how the HVL-1 sounds as a center, why not you try it first in your own system? (I'm assuming you already have a different pair of L/R speakers.)

$150 puts him in the BIC FH-6LCR bracket. It's a no-risk experiment when ordered from Wallyworld...if he notices any of these fabled unbearable "timbre" irregularities he can easily take it back to the store for a full refund. (Reviews on Amazon)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-FH6-LCR-Dual-6-1-2-175W-Bookshelf-LCR-Speaker/10298559

There's also this $80 Emotiva MTM which would probably be a closer "timbre match" but has no return option:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers/products/basx-lcr
LP: I see the Polk S30 is $150, which is his budget. Thanks!

Zorba: Thank you for that recommendation - the $80 is way under his budget and that might work out. Also, I actually never thought about testing it for him... I have the Polk Signature Series so I can see how it blends in. Good call!

I also sent a message to a couple people from this thread who used it as a center so hopefully they can chime in.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
It works fine on its side. As Zorba says, give it a try. I’m willing to bet it won’t be a problem.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,766 Posts
Curtis is right, the HLV-1 works fine on its side. I tried it with the tweeter facing right and left but didn't find an audible difference from the MLP (about 15 feet away).

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Curtis is right, the HLV-1 works fine on its side. I tried it with the tweeter facing right and left but didn't find an audible difference from the MLP (about 15 feet away).

Yes, I agree too. When I was using an HVL-1 as a center, I tried it both ways and did not any difference from 11 feet away.

221 - 240 of 240 Posts