AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Great read. Thanks for the post. I actually really like the look of these. I've never been a fan of fake wood-grain. The grills are pretty unique looking as well.

I love a speaker where nothing jumps out at you. Looks like this might be one those and at a reasonable price to boot.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Good review!

Looks like the HVL-1 are a good contender for the Cambridge S30. There are always people looking for speakers for under $300, and these should fit the bill nicely

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes it would interesting how the sound of the Wave Crest HLV1 compares to the Cambridge S30, and also to the Pioneer SP BS-22. Nice to see such great speaker value in the $200 to $300 range these days. Thanks for the review!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys! Much appreciated. You too, Bill, thanks for the welcome.

I wanted to evaluate these on the best electronics I had available to see what they were capable of. For regular usage, I've got the HVL-1 pair hooked up to a small Onkyo CS-325 receiver in my Zone 2 setup. Still sounds great!

Last Sunday, I set up a budget 2.1 HT/music system for a friend using a pair of the HVL-1 and a refurbished Denon AVR-1913. I threw in a SVS SB-1000 sub on my own dime to cover I demoed Tron: Legacy (Recognizer scene and light-cycle battle) and that was literally a jaw-dropping, show-stopping moment. My Jesse Cook "Free Fall" demo CD was also well-received. Later on, my friend went straight to her movie collection to watch "Marvel's The Avengers" and "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring."

We've got another one hooked, lads!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I've got a pair of S30's as my bedroom speakers. Really tempted to audition these to see how they compare!

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Jacob...thank you for the review, and I am glad you (and your friend) are enjoying the HVL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf#post_23504495

I've got a pair of S30's as my bedroom speakers. Really tempted to audition these to see how they compare!

You are in SoCal, we are in SoCal, perhaps we can something out. I would love to listen to the S30's.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf#post_23504750

You are in SoCal, we are in SoCal, perhaps we can something out. I would love to listen to the S30's.

Sorry for planning work for you by saying this, but maybe you could find a couple of other people and do an entry level speaker shootout. Those always get ignored as choices for meet and greets.

Reactions: Nethawk

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs markie  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf#post_23502488

Yes it would interesting how the sound of the Wave Crest HLV1 compares to the Cambridge S30, and also to the Pioneer SP BS-22. Nice to see such great speaker value in the $200 to $300 range these days. Thanks for the review!

I have owned 2 out of the 3 mentioned (bs22 and s30).

They are quite opposite from what I remember. The bs22 have a relatively laid-back midrange. While, the s30 has a very forward upper mid/lower treble. The s30 is overall the better speaker but it also costs more than twice as much. The smallish mid driver in the bs22 limits its abilities somewhat. It can sound a little restrained and does not like to be driven loud. On the other hand, the crossover is the weak point on the s30. I believe there is a crossover mod somewhere in the forum for the s30 which evens out the upper mid/lower treble peakiness. Both are top-notch in their respective price points.

I would expect the hvl1 to trounce the bs22. The s30 would give a very fair fight. I would bet on the hvl1 but I would love to see someone compare the two. It seems to me that the $200 - $250/pr market segment is very popular and yet somewhat underrepresented.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf#post_23504760

Sorry for planning work for you by saying this, but maybe you could find a couple of other people and do an entry level speaker shootout. Those always get ignored as choices for meet and greets.
I don't know if it is a good idea for me to plan or set-up something like this, but I would be more than happy to provide a pair of HVL-1's for an event in the area...or maybe even out of the area.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf#post_23504760

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf#post_23505423

I don't know if it is a good idea for me to plan or set-up something like this, but I would be more than happy to provide a pair of HVL-1's for an event in the area...or maybe even out of the area.

Provided the scheduling works out, we would be happy to host something like this at our facility, give the attendees full control...

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Great idea. It would be great to have a reference thread for the $300 bookshelf requests rather than 10 or so separate conversations per week.

Reactions: ljmart

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
If I lived in CA, I would come. I wouldn't think it would be hard to find a half dozen AVS members who would bring some speakers.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,764 Posts
FWIW... I arranged to get 3 of these from Curtis so I could do a review. I'll be using them in both 2.1 (music) and 3.1 (HT) configurations. I have to finish up another review first, but for those interested in knowing what the HVL-1's are capable of stay tuned.

Dark Ranger, that was an excellent review! I noticed you only have 1 post per year though - so I have to admit to some suspicion about your motives - but assuming you aren't a shill... you should definitely do more reviews. I think the community would benefit from them. Your writing style is very polished.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23804089

Dark Ranger, that was an excellent review! I noticed you only have 1 post per year though - so I have to admit to some suspicion about your motives - but assuming you aren't a shill... you should definitely do more reviews. I think the community would benefit from them. Your writing style is very polished.

I thought he explained himself rather well. Didn't seem any reason to suspect otherwise:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Ranger  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf#post_23501698

Hi folks,

I purchased a pair of these in May soon after they were announced. After several weeks of listening, talking with Curtis about technical specs, and writing down my thoughts, I'd like to formally post my review for those considering this new loudspeaker. As the usual disclaimer, the thoughts that follow are my own. I have tried to present an honest and personal opinion of every aspect of this new product. I have no direct affiliation with Wave Crest Audio or Ascend Acoustics other than being a happy customer. I was neither paid nor compensated for purchasing and reviewing these speakers. I haven't posted here on AVS until now, but some may recognize me from the Ascend forum or Emotiva Lounge.

I hope you enjoy reading about my experience as much as I enjoyed writing about it.

Some people apparently like writing reviews

Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Yup some guys prefer to hang out at owners forums...nothing wrong in doing that. I know Dark Ranger (Jacob) is very passionate about all Ascends products... as I've become...to question his motives because of only 2 posts is not fair...he linked that review over at the Ascend forum and did so here. I see you(Jim) did likewise at Audioholics after posting here too...Curtis mentioned to me that you'll be reviewing these speakers in due time...I'm excited to read your thoughts as I know how well you're respected ...both here & audioholics...as well as HTS.

Regards, Bill...

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,764 Posts
I thought he explained himself very well, and I complimented him on the review and his writing style because of it. Historically, though, anyone who has displayed a similar pattern would be considered suspect. However, if what you guys are saying is true -- and Jacob is legit -- then he's the exception to the rule, which is a good thing. In that case, I'll reiterate the other part of my comment; hopefully he'll write more reviews, because he's very good at it. I'd certainly read them.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23805006

I thought he explained himself very well, and I complimented him on the review and his writing style because of it. Historically, though, anyone who has displayed a similar pattern would be considered suspect. However, if what you guys are saying is true -- and Jacob is legit -- then he's the exception to the rule, which is a good thing. In that case, I'll reiterate the other part of my comment; hopefully he'll write more reviews, because he's very good at it. I'd certainly read them.

Well, it's best to let the review stand on its own merit. If the review does, then there's no reason to call into question the motives of the reviewers.

And it's a particularly bad idea for you to cast dispersion on another reviewer, Jim. It opens the door for people to ask you difficult questions. What's your motivation? Is it because you like free stuff? Do you do it because you like the attention? Trying to build toward a professional career where you make money? Or are you selling any of it, which is considered unethical among many professional reviewers because then one is accepting monetary payment for the reviews? And regardless of the motivation, are you sure you are being completely objective? If you want to continue doing reviews and getting manufacturers to ship you equipment, it is, after all, in your best interest to make sure your reviews are generally very positive. They do send you equipment so that they can better market their products, and many might not if they think your reviews will make them look bad. That's probably why Stereophiles reviews rarely seem to say bad things about the equipment they review.

I'm not saying you need to answer those questions. Just pointing out that it's in your best interest not to start making implication about other reviewers. So to repeat, best to let reviews stand on their own merit unless there is an obvious problem

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,764 Posts
You're way out of line, and equally far off the mark.

The fact is people with his posting pattern raise a red flag. Always. I just pointed it out. The fact is I liked his writing style, and made that quite clear. The fact is I write everything as I see it, and there are now 3 manufacturers who won't be sending me any other equipment because of it. The fact is this is a hobby, not a profession. And it won't ever be more than that for me.

You seem awfully invested in this one. Any particular reason? I'm not saying you need to answer that question, just pointing out that it seems like you have something more than meets the eye going on. Throwing in a token smiley doesn't change the obvious either.

You want to keep debating this take it to PM from here on out. This has run it's course.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23804089

FWIW... I arranged to get 3 of these from Curtis so I could do a review. I'll be using them in both 2.1 (music) and 3.1 (HT) configurations. I have to finish up another review first, but for those interested in knowing what the HVL-1's are capable of stay tuned.

Hi Jim!

Thank you for the complements on my review. I really appreciate it!

I'm not surprised that some folks are skeptical considering my (nearly) non-existent post count. In fact, I expected it. We've seen questionable and dubious methods used to advertise products (especially on AV message boards like this). It's distasteful, and it usually makes me reconsider any purchases from that company. I mean, if this is what I can expect pre-sales, what's the after-sales experience going to be like?

Anyway, my hope was that the preceding disclaimer and my Forum Join Date would help ease the skepticism a bit, but that folks would understand the heart of the review along with my enthusiasm for reviewing a new product.
No hard feelings. As others have said, I mostly hang out at manufacturer's forums although I do lurk here occasionally. I posted the review in this thread because I had originally corresponded with the OP (at another forum) about these speakers and wanted to offer my (formal) feedback.

Back to the topic of these bookshelf speakers: Jim, I'll stay tuned for your thoughts on the HVL-1 Triad.

21 - 40 of 240 Posts