AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23805210

You're way out of line, and equally far off the mark.

You completely missed my point. As I said, I believe that a review should first be judged on its own merit. If the review is found to be good, no reason to call into question the credibility of the reviewer this way. To do so is an ad hominem attack on an argument .

And my point is that people that are serious about doing reviews themselves should be especially cautious about doing so because it's easy enough for someone to do the same to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23805210

You seem awfully invested in this one. Any particular reason? I'm not saying you need to answer that question, just pointing out that it seems like you have something more than meets the eye going on. Throwing in a token smiley doesn't change the obvious either.

I thought it was an extremely well written review. Top 10% (or higher) of the amateur audio reviews I have read in terms of writing fluency, organization, and detail. It was a pleasure to read and extremely informative. I don't think it's fair to the writer to attack his credibility based on stereotyping him. Now, if after you do your own review, you find there are grounds to call into question the validity of the review, that's different.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Ranger  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23805326

Thank you for the complements on my review. I really appreciate it!

I'm not surprised that some folks are skeptical considering my (nearly) non-existent post count. In fact, I expected it. We've seen questionable and dubious methods used to advertise products (especially on AV message boards like this). It's distasteful, and it usually makes me reconsider any purchases from that company. I mean, if this is what I can expect pre-sales, what's the after-sales experience going to be like?

Anyway, my hope was that the preceding disclaimer and my Forum Join Date would help ease the skepticism a bit, but that folks would understand the heart of the review along with my enthusiasm for reviewing a new product.
No hard feelings. As others have said, I mostly hang out at manufacturer's forums although I do lurk here occasionally. I posted the review in this thread because I had originally corresponded with the OP (at another forum) about these speakers and wanted to offer my (formal) feedback.

Back to the topic of these bookshelf speakers: Jim, I'll stay tuned for your thoughts on the HVL-1 Triad.

Jacob, you do exist!
Glad you chimed in, especially seeing as how you're polite and level headed. That seems to be in short supply I'm afraid.

By chance, have you written any other reviews? I'd be interested in reading them. If not, I would encourage you to consider doing more. You have a very engaging style, with a smooth flow. That doesn't happen often. The layout you choose, the amount of detail provided and the picture content was all good as well. So, what else ya' got that you can write about?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23806171

Jacob, you do exist!
Glad you chimed in, especially seeing as how you're polite and level headed. That seems to be in short supply I'm afraid

Does that mean you are satisfied now? Or do cschang and Dave F need to come defend themselves, since your insinuations indirectly accuse one (or both of them) of having hired a shill?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23806247

Does that mean you are satisfied now? Or do cschang and Dave F need to come defend themselves, since your insinuations indirectly accuse one (or both of them) of having hired a shill?

Some members believe that Curtis was or still is a paid employee of Ascend....lol. This is why I prefer owners forums from the most part....public forums you just can't trust anybody nowadays.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23806247

Neither David nor Curtis needs to defend themselves from a slight you fabricated and are trying to pin on me. I never mentioned either of them, nor was there anything insinuated by me regarding them. You should really stop creating alternate realities replete with situations that simply don't exist. Jacob and I are fine, obviously, so it seems the issues are purely of your own making. Stop forwarding your own agenda, whatever that might be, and let it go already.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23806314

Neither David nor Curtis needs to defend themselves from a slight you fabricated and are trying to pin on me. I never mentioned either of them, nor was there anything insinuated by me regarding them.

Not my words:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23804089

- but assuming you aren't a shill

A shill is someone who is typically hired or otherwise placed by the company or otherwise has some kind of close association with them. So there are generally always two parties involved in that distasteful practice: the person writing the review, and the person (or organization) who put them up to it (or at least has knowledge of that close relationship which has not been revealed).

Rather to trying to continue to defend a statement which was a bad idea to make in the first place, particularly when that statement might come across as attempting to discredit another reviewer while promoting one's own future review, it would seem better to me to stop.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Easy guys, let's keep this thread on track, which is supposed to be about Wave Crest's HVL-1

Cel4145, Jim is a good guy.

Jim, Jacob, (Dark Ranger) is also a good guy -- very honest and polite. I believe he stays away from these forums because of these types of issues that tend to arise. I will stake my reputation on Jacob's honesty and integrity and I HAVE NEVER and WILL NEVER ask anyone to post a review on AVS / Audioholics / HTF.. etc. In addition, and I am perfectly comfortable stating this publicly, I have never paid anyone or any company to do a review and I have never given anything away in exchange for a review. In fact, as you might find out, if a reviewer wishes to keep any of my products after the review, they are required to pay. Truth to be told, I don't ever recall asking a professional or amateur to review a product (in 14+ years! ) , like you -- they contact us first, and even then -- our priority is always getting products to our customers first (as you have also learned)

Jim, please don't take offense, but you did specifically use the term "shill" and while I understood your suspicions, that term does come across to me as somewhat offensive, just the hint of it. IMO, Better terminology could have been used... I can't speak for Curtis (and it his company) but his honesty and integrity are second to none. And sure, some people still believe Curtis is or has been on Ascend's payroll, some people also believe Alex Rodriguez never used PED's

Reactions: Billy p

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23806415

Easy guys, let's keep this thread on track, which is supposed to be about Wave Crest's HVL-1

Cel4145, Jim is a good guy.

Jim, Jacob, (Dark Ranger) is also a good guy -- very honest and polite. I believe he stays away from these forums because of these types of issues that tend to arise. I will stake my reputation on Jacob's honesty and integrity and I HAVE NEVER and WILL NEVER ask anyone to post a review on AVS / Audioholics / HTF.. etc. In addition, and I am perfectly comfortable stating this publicly, I have never paid anyone or any company to do a review and I have never given anything away in exchange for a review. In fact, as you might find out, if a reviewer wishes to keep any of my products after the review, they are required to pay. Truth to be told, I don't ever recall asking a professional or amateur to review a product (in 14+ years! ) , like you -- they contact us first, and even then -- our priority is always getting products to our customers first (as you have also learned)

Jim, please don't take offense, but you did specifically use the term "shill" and while I understood your suspicions, that term does come across to me as somewhat offensive, just the hint of it. IMO, Better terminology could have been used... I can't speak for Curtis (and it his company) but his honesty and integrity are second to none. And sure, some people still believe Curtis is or has been on Ascend's payroll, some people also believe Alex Rodriguez never used PED's

Wait, you mean A-Rod was juicing?!? Who would have thunk it...

Thanks for weighing in David. I've been trying to let this fabricated conspiracy die, but for some reason others won't let it. Sorry you got dragged into the debacle.

Based upon the email exchanges you and I have had these past few months I assume you already know I'm a person of integrity, so I won't belabor that point further. My shill comment is being taken completely out of context, and has been used to validate a slight that simply wasn't. The exact usage was in the form of a caveat, and certainly not aimed at you or Curtis. That part should be pretty obvious by now though. What I said was "Dark Ranger, that was an excellent review! I noticed you only have 1 post per year though - so I have to admit to some suspicion about your motives - but assuming you aren't a shill... you should definitely do more reviews. I think the community would benefit from them. Your writing style is very polished.". Jacob understood the context, and he and I have no issue, so as far as I'm concerned the rest of the nonsense that continues around it is peripheral noise, so don't give it a further thought.

For the record... I never suspected you or Curtis had nefarious intentions, nor did I say or even intimate that, so inferences to the contrary are completely baseless and inaccurate.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23806530

Wait, you mean A-Rod was juicing?!? Who would have thunk it...

Thanks for weighing in David. I've been trying to let this fabricated conspiracy die, but for some reason others won't let it. Sorry you got dragged into the debacle.

Based upon the email exchanges you and I have had these past few months I assume you already know I'm a person of integrity, so I won't belabor that point further. My shill comment is being taken completely out of context, and has been used to validate a slight that simply wasn't. The exact usage was in the form of a caveat, and certainly not aimed at you or Curtis. That part should be pretty obvious by now though. What I said was "Dark Ranger, that was an excellent review! I noticed you only have 1 post per year though - so I have to admit to some suspicion about your motives - but assuming you aren't a shill... you should definitely do more reviews. I think the community would benefit from them. Your writing style is very polished.". Jacob understood the context, and he and I have no issue, so as far as I'm concerned the rest of the nonsense that continues around it is peripheral noise, so don't give it a further thought.

For the record... I never suspected you or Curtis had nefarious intentions, nor did I say or even intimate that, so inferences to the contrary are completely baseless and inaccurate.

I checked their wesbite and it has a 30 day money back return policy so I dont think there's any schilling involved.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23806530

If that's true then simply retract the statement instead of denying that it means what it means since your intentions don't match what the statement says. Anytime one hints or implies or suggests or adds a "caveat" (which means warning or caution) that someone might be a schill, it casts aspersions on the maker of the product as well--whether the writer wants it to or not. Anytime one says, "I have suspicions . . . assuming one is not X" that immediately sets up the frame for others to consider that X might be true afterall--whether the writer wants it to or not.

Reactions: buzzy_ and Billy p

·
Registered
478 Posts
Very nice review Jacob! I really like that you described the performance of the speakers in layman's terms without all the superfluous fluff that often comes with audio reviews!

Too bad about the negativity that so often finds it's way into these threads. Anyone whom regularly frequents the Ascend Forums would never question your motives, or integrity.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,766 Posts
Let it go already Charlie. You're the only one who wishes to further this, ad nauseam I might add. Jacob is good, I'm good, David is good. It had absolutely nothing to do with you in the first place, so why does it even matter to you at all? I'm done debating it though. The people actually involved have moved on already, so it's high time you did as well.

Jacob; since history suggests he won't let it go and move on so I'm going to unsubscribe from your thread. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss anything else. Hopefully I find the HVL-1's to be as enjoyable as you did. It would be nice to have another solid player in the low cost speaker market. Let me know if you ever post another review. I'd love to see what else you come up with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just remembered why I don't hang out here too often...

Anyway, I do have a couple of other product reviews on The Emotiva Lounge, but they're written in a slightly different format and prose. I may choose to review other products in the future; we'll see.

I still enjoy my HVL-1s very much and use them several times each week for hours at a time. It's great to have enjoyable sound quality while working on various projects in my office/workroom. Right now they're hooked up to a small Onkyo "lifestyle" receiver (14 watts x 2), so I don't push 'em too much to avoid clipping the receiver. That will change later this month. Soon they will be enjoying life again on a proper amplifier. MORE POWER! Excuse me while I grunt like Tim "The Toolman" Taylor.

Man, I love this hobby!

Reactions: Pet Motel

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23808194

Let it go already Charlie. You're the only one who wishes to further this, ad nauseam I might add. Jacob is good, I'm good, David is good.

Actually, Dave said quite clearly (but nicely) that he didn't like that you used that term. Pet Motel just posted his distaste for your insinuation. Someone else thumbed up my point.

So I'll stop. Not because I agree with you, but because it seems clear you'll never admit that you shouldn't have said what you said.

Meanwhile, I'll look forward to reading your review. You set the bar quite high for yourself by stating " but for those interested in knowing what the HVL-1's are capable of stay tuned." Jacob's review already provided a lot of good insight into the HLV-1s and is an excellent review. I'd love to see if you can do substantially better.

Reactions: buzzy_

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_23804089

FWIW... I arranged to get 3 of these from Curtis so I could do a review. I'll be using them in both 2.1 (music) and 3.1 (HT) configurations. I have to finish up another review first, but for those interested in knowing what the HVL-1's are capable of stay tuned.

This review still in the pipeline? I've been looking forward to reading more about these speakers. I know you're a busy guy, just wondering.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Reactions: cschang

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank you for a great review Jacob,

I just purchased 3 of these speakers.

Your review and this review on hometheatershack.com helped me make a decision.

Link to other review.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/72159-wave-crest-audio-hvl-1-speaker-review.html

And I even got 15% discount code from there!! Read through the review and there is discount coupon at the bottom.

3 speakers for $314 including shipping? Why not give a try?

Anyway, I will also try to leave some review after receiving them, will probably take sometime as I need to get them forwarded to Guatemala.

I've used various bookshelves before :-

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 (this was my favourite)

Cambridge Audio S30

PSB Alpha B1

B&W 602 (and also 603 towers)

JBL ES20

JBL 4312M (made in Japan)

Sony SS-B1000

Audiogene A2

and several others I cannot remember exactly at this stage

I'll try to compare HLV-1 with my experience of previously experienced bookshelves.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf/30#post_24151070

This review was just posted:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/72159-wave-crest-audio-hvl-1-speaker-review.html

Congrats on the positive press...

I know back when I compared the HVL-1 to some other similarly priced speakers, I had some criticisms, but I hope people realized I was nitpicking... and that, overall, I did think the HVL-1 was a very nice speaker for the price.

Also, I should have gone back and updated that thread just to point out that the customer service from both HTD and Wavecrest (Curtis) was top notch - both made the return process painless and did not give me a hard time at all about returning the speakers.

41 - 60 of 240 Posts