AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
So after looking around for different speakers, I've decided to go with the HLV-1 for my first-ever pair.

I'm much more familiar with headphone set-ups, so I was wondering - if I wanted to play music off my MacBook Pro with the HLV-1s, what else would I need besides the speakers themselves and an amplifier? Any cables or little odds and ends that I need to take into account (which are not included otherwise)? Suggestions on amplifiers are also appreciated (I'm looking at the Topping TP30).
All you would need are speaker cables from the TP30 to the speakers.

The TP30, I believe, comes with the proper USB cable.

Will this be a desktop setup with the MacBook pro? Where will the speakers be positioned?

·
Registered
4 Posts
All you would need are speaker cables from the TP30 to the speakers.

The TP30, I believe, comes with the proper USB cable.

Will this be a desktop setup with the MacBook pro? Where will the speakers be positioned?
What I'm hoping to do is to position the speakers to the left and right of a bed while using stands to bring them off the ground a little. I would be using them primarily for music, either off a MacBook Pro or a Sansa Clip+.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
What I'm hoping to do is to position the speakers to the left and right of a bed while using stands to bring them off the ground a little. I would be using them primarily for music, either off a MacBook Pro or a Sansa Clip+.
Sounds good.
At the foot or the head of the bed?

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
I haven't really decided yet - what positioning do you think would be best for low-medium level listening?
So it sounds like this is for music in the bedroom?

For me, I would create something so I would have a nice stereo image when sitting up and reading, etc. So along the front wall(opposite the bed), and facing the bed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So it sounds like this is for music in the bedroom?

For me, I would create something so I would have a nice stereo image when sitting up and reading, etc. So along the front wall(opposite the bed), and facing the bed.
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf#post_23504760

Sorry for planning work for you by saying this, but maybe you could find a couple of other people and do an entry level speaker shootout. Those always get ignored as choices for meet and greets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1473975/wave-crest-audio-hlv-1-ascend-designed-budget-bookshelf#post_23505423

I don't know if it is a good idea for me to plan or set-up something like this, but I would be more than happy to provide a pair of HVL-1's for an event in the area...or maybe even out of the area.

Provided the scheduling works out, we would be happy to host something like this at our facility, give the attendees full control...
does anybody know how the EMP Tek R5Bi and XTZ 93.22 stack up against the HLV-1?

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
does anybody know how the EMP Tek R5Bi and XTZ 93.22 stack up against the HLV-1?
If you would like to do a comparison, I could provide you with a pair of HVL-1's.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I've tried to get the ARX/Chane A1 and HTD Level 3 bookshelf for a shootout and review, but haven't had any luck. Only asked once though and it was on the forums, not a call or e-mail. Wouldn't mind throwing in the HLV-1 or any other I can get. I could probably get another guy to have a listen too that has a lot more experience with higher end stuff (salon2, 800's, TAD, RBH, etc).

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
I've tried to get the ARX/Chane A1 and HTD Level 3 bookshelf for a shootout and review, but haven't had any luck. Only asked once though and it was on the forums, not a call or e-mail. Wouldn't mind throwing in the HLV-1 or any other I can get. I could probably get another guy to have a listen too that has a lot more experience with higher end stuff (salon2, 800's, TAD, RBH, etc).
We got a request for a review a couple of days ago. When those return, we can offer them to you for a shootout/review.

·
Registered
18,424 Posts
hi Curtis,

I just found out about these speakers today, and am very intrigued...the only thing that gives me pause is the 86db sensitivity listed because I am looking for something to pair with my Trends Audio T-amp.

Would that be a very bad idea? Have you ever tried to power it with a T-amp? I'm not looking to shake the walls or anything, just want to get comfortable listening levels and have good detail even at low levels.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
hi Curtis,

I just found out about these speakers today, and am very intrigued...the only thing that gives me pause is the 86db sensitivity listed because I am looking for something to pair with my Trends Audio T-amp.

Would that be a very bad idea? Have you ever tried to power it with a T-amp? I'm not looking to shake the walls or anything, just want to get comfortable listening levels and have good detail even at low levels.
Absolutely. We actually have a pair hooked up to a t-amp in my daughter's room. Works great.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Nice to still see you around Curtis. I'm putting together a new budget setup based around my "not so easy on the budget" Denon 4311. I think these fit the bill for what I'm restricted to size wise; doesn't hurt they happen to be on sale.;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, Im very happy I got a pair of these. Best speakers I've owned to date. I've owned or still own, Cerwin Vega LS8, Sony SS-MB300, Micca MB42, and Polk Monitor 70 Series II. The HLV-1 sounds better than all those, imo. Hard to describe why so I'll just say, everything from highs to mids to lows have more clarity than the other speakers I've owned. Getting these has awoken a monster within. Now that I've had a small taste of good audio, I want more. But I'm broke so I'll just enjoy these for many years to come :)

EDIT:
I also tried these as PC speakers. I currently use the Micca's with a Lepai t-amp. The HLV-1 sounded great with that little t-amp. I might have to get another pair next year to replace the Micca's :)

Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's been almost a year now that I've had these speakers and still love them. I use them as an LCR and have dual PB-1000's from SVS and couldn't be happier. Usage is probably 70/30 in favor of movies and they're great with both. Someday I'll get a picture up...

With the sale these are an incredible bargain. I recommend them to anyone I can looking for speakers in this price range. Well done Curtis and Dave.

Reactions: Gmash

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just ended up buying 5 of these for my LCR and Surrounds. I was between these and the Arx A1Brx-c but I figured I would try them out first.

I actually hate buying speakers without first hearing them, I have been pleasantly surprised (CBM 170 SE and CBM 340 SE from Ascend Acoustics) and disappointed (Pioneer Andrew Jones towers, bookshelves, and Center, Jamo H426, Fluance HTIB). The Andrew Jones Pioneers are not bad per se, I find them odd. When played within their range, they sound pretty outstanding with my Sony STR-DN1040 AVR (and other AVRs) . But some songs sound like muffled and compressed, it is like something is amiss with the sound quality.

If I like these, I will round out my Sony and BIC America F-12 with 2 more for 7.1 sound and likely move into a better sub (HSU VTF-Mk4). I also just ordered a SMSL M8 32 Bit/384khz DAC to go with these. When I get these speakers and allow them a little time to break-in, I will do a full review and let everyone know if I stuck with them or tried the Arx speakers. Something tells me these will be good sounding little speakers and maybe keepers, as I love the Ascend sound signature.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I just ended up buying 5 of these for my LCR and Surrounds. I was between these and the Arx A1Brx-c but I figured I would try them out first.

I actually hate buying speakers without first hearing them, I have been pleasantly surprised (CBM 170 SE and CBM 340 SE from Ascend Acoustics) and disappointed (Pioneer Andrew Jones towers, bookshelves, and Center, Jamo H426, Fluance HTIB). The Andrew Jones Pioneers are not bad per se, I find them odd. When played within their range, they sound pretty outstanding with my Sony STR-DN1040 AVR (and other AVRs) . But some songs sound like muffled and compressed, it is like something is amiss with the sound quality.

If I like these, I will round out my Sony and BIC America F-12 with 2 more for 7.1 sound and likely move into a better sub (HSU VTF-Mk4). I also just ordered a SMSL M8 32 Bit/384khz DAC to go with these. When I get these speakers and allow them a little time to break-in, I will do a full review and let everyone know if I stuck with them or tried the Arx speakers. Something tells me these will be good sounding little speakers and maybe keepers, as I love the Ascend sound signature.
Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

81 - 100 of 240 Posts