AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of taking the HDTV plunge in the next few days. It seems that 16:9 is the wave of the future. What do people think about this?

Also, what do people think about 720p over 1080i? Is 720p the wave of the future, or is 1080i going to dominate?

The reason I ask is that it seems like a pain to get 720p, but I'm willing to suffer the pain if it means I don't have to get a new TV in 2 years...

Thanks in advance,

John

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
John:

Yes, 16:9 (1.78) is the future--and the present (anamorphic DVD).

As for 720p vs. 1080i--ABC is the only broadcaster doing 720p programming. CBS, NBC, PBS, HBO, Showtime, HDNet et all are doing 1080i. Fox is doing 480p (thank you, Mr. Murdoch, for walking away from buying Dish).

The 720p thing may be a moot point--although many will debate the technical superiority of 720p, it just isn't likely to "win" (I think it will "lose" to 1080i, just like Beta lost to VHS...ABC is the sole champion, and once ABC has written off their initial HDTV equipment purchases, they would probably be smart to make a quiet switch to 1080i). Most HDTV tuners won't even output a native 720p signal--and most TV's can't handle 720p (720p requires more bandwidth than 1080i).

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by woowoo

Get a set that will do both
Very few sets do both, most every STB will "downconvert" to 1080i if they do not support both. As many plasma and new DLP projectors can do 720p natively, it is a viable reception standard even if it is not a pervasive transmission standard.

Bottom line: Get an STB that matches your set and sit back and enjoy the increasingly fast ride toward HDTV.

Tim

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht

Very few sets do both, most every STB will "downconvert" to 1080i if they do not support both.

Tim
A more accurate term would be "crossconvert" 1080i has 1.5 times the spacial capacity as 720P. 720P has 1.5 times temporal capacity as 1080i. They both have exactly the same data rate. In terms of temporal rate, 1080i can be thought of as 540p.

People tend to forget that 720p is only 1280 pixels across. 1080i is 1920 across. IT's NOT 1920x720p

So for fast motion like sports, 720p is better. For high detail less movement requirments like a nature show, 1080i is better.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Interesting to note that the Thomson/RCA Scenium L50000 is in 720p and, according to one of its suppliers in a recent analysts' conference, RCA plans to eventually knock down the price of the L50000 to $2,500 retail in order to attract both plasma and CRT prospects. It will come out at about $6,495 retail and about $4,995 discounted during this quarter.

Besides its 720p display, great for watching sports, I'm excited about the L50000 since it offers a 50" 16:9 display that is super bright with very high definition (2.7 million pixels), weighs only about 100 pounds and its screen doesn't burn. On the downside, it includes a DirecTV receiver which could be obsolete within about 3-4 years when Ergen converts.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Bob (DTVisCool),

Do you own stock in a company that makes the LCoS chip for the RCA L50000 or something? Seriously, ever since you came back to this forum you have been pimping this RPTV and the DVI interface. I mean, insult Zenith, promote somthing that will slow the DTV transition (COFDM, DVI), bother forum members in unrelated threads. It's pretty much your old pattern. Could we at least have some full disclosure on why you push the new RCA so much when you say you haven't even seen it yet?

Jim

P.S. If they hurry up and drop it to ~$2500 I would seriously consider buying one. As it stands now, I'd rather have a 65" Toshiba for ~$2800 than a 50" RCA for $5000.

P.P.S. 2.7 million pixels?! What the hell are you smoking, Bob? I don't think most people on this forum agree with the convention of calling the red, green and blue dots separtate pixels! Honestly, saying that it displays the entire 1280 x 720p format would be praise enough. You don't need to fool around with bogus figures like 2.7 megapixels.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Bob,

I'm actually more interested in just why you're so interested in the RCA LCoS. Just what's your angle in hyping this TV so heavily on the forum?:confused:

Jim

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm about to buy a HDTV this month or so and after lots of worrying over this-and-that becomming old-hat in several years I've just given up and realized I'll be buying a new HDTV in 3-4 years. Thats fine, my last TV (Sony 20" trinitron) lasted me through Senior year of college plus the last year and a half and its time to upgrade, 3-4 years is a fine run for a TV (as far as I'm concerned). Thats why I'm going 4:3 with 720p/1080i (with anamorphic squeeze of course!). I was suprised the girl-friend agreed that we'll need to upgrade in 3 or so years (ya gotta love her). I'd rather spend $3000 now and $3000 later and always have good equipment then spend $4-5000 now and have it be old-stuff in several years.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Since the title of this thread is "Wave of the Future", like to see more comments on what others think. My projections:

1. Several sources indicate that LCOS will be the next big wave in HDTV displays including both rear and front projection. Besides JVC and Thomson (RCA), two Chinese manufacturers will release, next year, both front and rear projection LCOS models that will considerably underprice plasma and give the best CRT displays a run for their money by offering more brightness, higher resolution/$ and no screen burn.

2. CE manufacturers and the MPAA will compromise on an non-recordable standard (HDCP/DVI?) in 2002 allowing for first-run cinema and live events in PPV HD beginning in 2003. Premium programming may shift to non-recordable encryption beginning in 2004 after Ergen swaps out all the IRDs. Transition period between now and Fall 2002 for CE manufacturers.

3. Broadcasters, with no heat from the FCC, will continue to drag their feet since they have no economic incentive to deliver ATSC. Some may actually discontinue ATSC broadcasting.

4. As compression techniques improve, most cable systems will begin offering HD content in 2003. New boxes will include DVI inputs/outputs (or similar) beginning in late 2002.

5. OTA HD broadcasters will continue to seek business models that are profitable. Few (if any) will find.

6. Big winner will be Charlie Ergen. He will control the fattest pipe around and the best HD tech. Just hope he doesn't need to milk the NTSC cow, too much and sticks with HD as the future of all programming/display/listening.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
4. As compression techniques improve, most cable systems will begin offering HD content in 2003. New boxes will include DVI inputs/outputs (or similar) beginning in late 2002.
I thought the cable companies had come out in favor of Firewire/5C instead of DVI/HDCP. But if that is true then they can't really take advantage of new compression technologies because 5C (without HDCP) requires the mpeg2 decoder in the display. So they have to use mpeg2 or have a re-encoder in the STB, which is still cost prohibitive.

Or has something changed recently?

- Tom

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Lord knows if/when this mythic RCA LCOS set will ship. The D'Ahlia (it's closest kin that is available) is very, very hard to come by. The RCA is months and months late. The Samsung (another close kin) is approaching a year late.

Other technologies, meanwhile, are actually advancing. Look for DLP-based rear-projection TVs to be available soon at affordable price points (today's price-performance is a joke). Look for the inexorable fall of plasma prices.

Next year, the 42" models will break through $4000 and the 50" models will break through $8000. Within two years, you are looking at sub $3000 and sub $6000.

I am not ruling out LCOS/D-ILA/fLCD, but the fact remains that none of these technologies has produced a closed-box design in any quantity and most products discussed are true vaporware. Plasma is in its fourth or fifth generation and is ramping volumes.

Next 4 years, pricing is expected to decline 26% per year according to an industry report.

As cool as LCOS may be, it is never going to hang on a wall or be

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.