AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone knows what kind of tweeter is used in the Waveform Mach series -- I'm looking to add small side speakers to my present 5 channel setup and want to maximize timbre matching.

Followingly, can anyone suggest small speakers that use the proper tweeter?

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I have a pair of Mach 17's and 4 of the MC's all in beautiful Quilted Makore on matching stands.

You can easily remove the drivers from the "egg" via 4 screws and the model number will be printed on the driver housing.

The tweeter in the Mach 17 and the MC is the Vifa D27SG-05-06.

"SG" means it is video shielded.

The mid in the Mach 17 is the Audax PR170M0

The mid/woofer in the MC is the Vifa M17SG-09-08

The woofer in the Mach 17 used to be the Philips AD12240W8 , but Philips is no longer in the driver business. For John Otvos' last orders, I recall he was using a driver made by some guys in upstate New York.

You can get drivers from:
http://www.speakercity.com
http://www.madisound.com
http://www.solen.ca

- Andy [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Perhaps I can do some sort of DIY box using these drivers, madisound out one of the others may have a kit.

I've got a pair of Mach Solo's for mains and 3 MC's for center and surrounds. My Lex. processor supports 7.1, so I'd like to try two more surrounds. How do you like your six channel setup?

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Here is a little bit about what I amp up to with my Waveforms:

I have never liked the MC as a centre channel -> I just don't find it clear enough. And yes it is well away from the back wall and other obstacles.

After center channel shopping, I bought an Infinity Prelude MTS centre ... which is so much better as a centre IMO, and seems to be a very good tonal match. Coincidentally, it also has an all-aluminum cabinet and it is not overly large in size.

On a whim, I picked up a used and very $cheap NHT AC-2 center channel and have been using it extensively too. It may be tonally a bit off, but is also very clear. It also can play deep bass and I run it full range, something I don't do with the Infinity. There is something about having localized centre-channel bass that I really like.

I run my LFE through my Mach 17's and much prefer the eveness of LFE eminating from the front pair. When I had a sub, I could always tell where it was. And if I went with a bigger & better pair of subs, I don't like the extra real estate they consume + huge cost.

Plus with LFE coming out of the Mach 17's I get that extra-sensory feeling with huge gusts of air coming out of the front-ports -> the friends really dig it !!

I power my system with an EAD PM2000 for bass & mid duties on the Mach 17's, and my centre channel. A Cinepro 3K6-III powers the Mach 17' tweeters and the 4 MC surrounds.

I sold my Lexicon MC-1 last week and have a Bryston SP-1.7 arriving tomorrow. I am really curious as to how the Bryston compares. I am alos hoping to borrow a Lexicon MC-12B for a head-to-head comparison.

- Andy

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Andy, thanks for the reply.

I'm using Llano amps all around, did we speak about this before? Still trying to get Randy W. to fix the grounding issue with the MC12.

I'll check out the Infinity in the quest for a good tonal match. Funny, but I'm having no issue with the MC as a center -- dialogue is very clear. I'll be adding acoustic treatment behind it next week which should improve things further.

It's gotta be great routing the LFE through the 17's, 4x 12" of radiating space can move a lot of air and really energize the room which good speakers do at all frequencies. I probably wouldn't bother with a sub if I had the 17's. With the Solos, I'd like a sub, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Don't want to spend a lot of $$ at the moment, so might try to find a used REL or something, if possible.

I'd be curious to know how you find the Bryston compares to the MC12 and MC1, please let me know. I'm sure it's an excellent piece; I owned a 9B-ST amp for a while that was very good.

-- Bob

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Just one addition the mid in some of the original Mach 17s (the model that was reviewed in Sterophile) use the Audax PR170Z0 which is an aerogel mid with a phase plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.