AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for help with my Cinemavision 1.3 tab tensioned screen. I spent the extra $ buying the Cosmopoliten Electrol Tab Tensioned to eliminate the wave problems with drop down screens. I have had it a little over 2 years and it is in an air conditioned controlled environment always.

I called Dalite for help and they were no help but to sell me a replacement screen material for over $1500. They did mention to try to adjust tension screws on the weighted bar at the bottom of the screen. It did not help at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions to maybe help reduce or eliminate the waves?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
What kind of waves are you getting?? You can test whether your tension system is working by grabbing the screen on the sides and pull lightly out. Do waves disappear / lessen? If not, then the tab tension system isn't the issue (I don't think). If they do, then you need to find a way to translate that "pull" into your tension system. Not much help... sorry.

If you are getting "V" shaped waves then perhaps you material has "let go" on the lower rail resulting in a slight gather of the screen. It is also possible that roller sag has taken over your screen and / or possibly your screen has let go a bit on the top roller. All these areas need a different "fix" so you need to look and see what perhaps your root cause is to find a solution.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Pertaining to what budwich said, if it is the tensioning mechanism, there are 2 screws at the bottom of the weight bar that can be slightly adjusted to fix the issue.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The waves are at the bottom left and right corner, moving slightly up the right side of the screen. Adjusting the screws are no help. When pulling the side out by hand it does help but I can't seem to get the tabs and string to duplicate the tension at the points. If I tighten the string or loosen it makes no difference at area of the waves.

I am thinking after looking at it with the suggestions of Budwich if I can add extra tabs along the side of the screen to pull out the particular spot. Has anyone added extra tabs? Thanks

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I am wondering if the material has "gathered" a bit on the lower rail.... by that I mean "shrunk". There have been sugestion in the past on other screen (manual pull downs) to try and gentle pull the material outward along the rail by running you thumb and index on either side of the rail. I haven't tried this myself but could see that it might help... although on my electric tab screen, the lower rail is a "sandwich" of where the screen is held between two piece of metal... they might have to be loosen a bit to get any effect if it is needed (ie. outward pull).

I have a draper and see similar waves that disappear after the screen is left down for a while (ie. half a day).

I guess the good news for you is that you aren't seeing large "v" type waves which usually mean roller sag which is a more difficult problem.

As for adding tabs... give it a try. Its relatively easy to try a "test run" using 1-2 inch wide masking tape folded and stuck on the appropriate place on the side. I used this method on my initial DIY electric tab tensioned screen made from black out cloth. It worked fine and is reversible if you aren't successful or you need to move things around.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I would concur. Dalite likely could send you some of their actually tabs as well if you asked. I would try the tape to experiment and make sure that works though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.