AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have posted elsewhere on this forum that this card seems to be nice based on specs. well, i just purchased one and rcvd it Friday and i'm here to tell you that it is one nice card. The converters are the same as what are used on the incredible lynx two and it just sounds wonderful. it has 192khz sampling rate hence the name. one thing that wasn't widely presented, even in the manual, is the fact that you can route the output from one audio program to another (sonar to cubase for example) hell you could take the media player that's streaming audio and send it to sonar or cubase. the only gripes i have is that the drivers won't allow me to control the main volume from my wireless keyboard anymore and that their mixer doesn't have level adjustments for recording. it's like they never considered that someone would buy the card and not have a studio mixer to control the input to the recording section. well it's a minor gripe as my line level input won't ever exceed 0db. I can use any wave program to bump it up a bit. you guys should hear how a vinyl tune sounds sampled at 96kHz and 24bit. i can't tell the difference between it and the vinyl. too bad it will get squashed to 16bit 44kHz for CD. i'm a happy camper and feel like it was money well spent:)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Firstly, I too have heard great things about this hardware and if they improved thier drivers as M-Audios consumer division are now doing I think they would be a real contender... Thank for the review...

Secondly I understand the monitor mixer thingamajig can route inputs and outputs via programs... Do you believe that it may be able to collect its SPDIF in and route it via directshow to a SW DVD decoder ??? There would be some interesting implications to that feature of course...

Lastly why archive iyt at CD resolutions ?? Do you simply mean for playing on non PC sources ??? Otherwise simply rip and store at what you find the best compromise... I have really stopped thinking in 'CD' terms lately...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't think it would be able to route to a dvd program because dvd programs don't record. it's more of an 'out' to an 'in' type of thing in fact when you set it up it looks like a patch bay like in reason. as far as the downsampling goes, i can deal with cd quality, i don't want to use that much space on the harddrive and cd is portable. i could keep it at a higher sampling and bitrate but it would only be like 7 or 8 songs per cd and i couldn't listen to it in anything besides my PC. it would be good for archival purposes though.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Do you have any Graphedit or directshow experience ?? I only ask as if it is making an 'out' and 'in' connection available I would guess it is doing this via a Directshow interface... Possibly the correct filtergraph and Zoom Player copuld take the 'out' pin connections and supply it to the 'in' of a DVD decoder filtergraph...

I am no filter or Graphedit expert but more than a couple on here are....

For archival I have built a big RAID array for my audio storage needs so I have tried to stop thinking of CD as a medium (of course the car needs them but thats it)...

·
Registered
898 Posts
u can redirect DVD outputs in direct wire no problems

there is a section for multi-mme signals..u can even take each of the seperated signals and redirect it.. as an exemple, u can take the LFE channel from a dvd and redirect it to let's say soundforge and record it liek that...pretty cool thing

i personally hvae purchased the 192L card..as i couldn't afford the 192X for now.. ( i don't think with what i use the card for i would've seen a real difference in analog output )

i can say that it sound awsome .. i can't see any sound glitches from digital CDs or DVDs..the sound is almost perfect.

feeding it directly to my Bryston amplifier that goes to my OM-9s..

for the price the waveterminals are really nice cards :)

i'm getting the optional digital interface card..i'll be able to input optical digital signal from PS2 instead of using it's crappy onboard DAC ..

so i'll guess i'll have really good sound there too!

only thing that i didn't like is that u can't reroute a signal from 1 output to another...as an example..if you want to setup a 2.1 system..u will have to use the 1-2 stereo output and split it unless uhave a Xover for the sub ( wich i have ) ...can't output the same signal to 3-4 for the sub

neway..that's not a biggie..

for the rest i really recommend the cards :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.