AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony 1031Q has developed some very faint wavy lines in the picture. The lines fade in and out and very in size and intensity (pulsate). It is only really noticeable when there is a light (not white), mostly solid color screen. The exact problem is a little hard to describe. It appears to be some type of electrical interference. I have eliminated my wiring and AV equipment by hooking a DVD player directly to my Iscan Pro (which is located just above my PJ). The PJ does not seem to have any other problems and looks GREAT! Any ideas on what to check would be appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you can hook a pc to the unit you might be able to determine if the problem is with the Iscan - just a thought.

Scout the forum for the necessary info on hooking up a pc to a 1031Q

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
sounds like either an HVPS or Cap problem ... just a guess ;) .

--- does it go away if you turn down G2 , you might be pushing the tubes too hard [ my 1031Q did the same thing when I calibrated and balanced the DRV/G2 controls and pushed it a bit too far ] .

--- Have you introduced any new appliances into the Power chain ?

---- Jason

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think Jason has you heading down the right path with the G2 adjustment. I had it too high on my 1031q and noticed the streaking.

Jim

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
when i had my 1031q i would get the same result when the missus would use the micro-wave upstairs.................

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will recalibrate my G2 this evening (just in case). I have never noticed it before and have not touched my G2 in a few months. Black level is great and my DRV pots are at mid point. No new electronics, cables, etc. I was going to hook up the video only input with a BNC/RCA adapter (inferior picture, but I should be able to see if the problem is still there) to eliminate the Iscan from the mix. I thought this would be less hassle than using my PC (Full tower unit and I don't have a cable long enough for the test). If the G2 doesn't work and the video input isn't clear I may try to borrow a laptop. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hooked the PJ up to the video input and the lines are still there. You can only notice them on very light scenes (Gray background is the most noticeable) so I can't see them with the internal test pattern up (too dark). I redid G2 with the same results. Turning down G2 does get rid of the lines, but only when the picture is too dark to see them anyway and way below normal brightness (even for this PJ). Any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Starting to sound more like a weak cap in the power supply. Not real hard to fix.

Marc

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK ! "Not real hard to fix" sounds good. How about some instructions (pictures would help). I have the high quality Service Manual (downloaded from Larry's site. I also have a parts PJ. You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jawhn, did you get it fixed?

I have more or less the same problem om my 1031q. The lines is noticeable on both video and rgb source and most visible in red and green colors but not much in the blue. Otherwise the picture is very good.

I'm in Sweden so I run my PJ from a 220 to 110 volt 300 watts transformer, the 1031q is 215 watts max so I guess the transformer is powerful enough and I also measure exact 110 volt ac into the PJ, but when I measure the +15 volt on the fuses next to the long heatsink on DB board I only get +14.2 dc and about 0.7 volts ripple, this could maybe indicate worn out caps in the PS.

Does anyone know the "normal" +15 voltage level on the DB board? it would be really nice to know before I start tearing down the PJ.

Thanks,

Uffe

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem is still there and now I'm starting to focus my attention on it more and it's driving me nuts!

Marc and Jason were both suspecting the power supply. How hard is it to swap out the PS in this unit? Is there anything I can test on the PS?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Jerry, that's a very good article. I still would like to know the difficulty in swapping out the power supply or just replacing the caps in the PS. Instructions and pictures would help.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well, swapping out the SMPS module is easy, it's one of the modular boards. Your best bet for having this go smoothly, is to send your board to Curt Palme ([email protected]) and have him repair it for you.

Guaranteed to fix it at a good price and he'll back it up for you if anything goes wrong.

- Jerry

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
This is bringing back nightmares of trying to take apart my 1031Q. If anyone has a few years of freetime of their hands try taking a 1031Q apart and putting it back together. Whoever has the least leftover parts after trying wins a prize. :D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieth
MYoung - I would *NEVER* admit to having leftover parts! :)
What if you sold the leftover parts and made a bunch of money? :D

-David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.