AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this problem. I got my HLN4365 from a local retailer here in Orlando & noticed that in the very middle of the screen on both the left & right sides of the screen, there were (for lack of a better word) wavy lines about an inch tall & around 8" long. I though it was in the T.V., but it's on the plastic screen. I notice it best under very bright & light backgrounds, but the best way to see it is to enable you "blue screen" & stand back about a foot. When I push on the screen the lines move a little. I even tried loosening the screws holding the cabinet thinking the cabinet was putting too much pressure on the plastic...which didn't work. I have returned 3 other sets thinking I would get one without this problem & every set seems about the same. I even looked at their floor models & went to about six other stores & every HLN 4365 has these same marks on the screen. I called Sammy cust. service (what a joke) & was basically told that they had never heard of it & there wasn't much I could do. They said that it could be the "anti-glare" coating. What good is anti-glare when it creates marks. Has anyone else seen this & can maybe shed some light for me....help...very frustrated.

:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's not anything electrical...it's the plastic screen itself. I know I'm not going crazy...I went to six stores including BestBuy, Circuit City, & Sears & looked at every one of their Sammy DLP's & every screen had this to some extent. Even the 5065's at BestBuy had this. Just to clarify, it's not anything to do with the internals...it is part of the physical plastic screen, because when I push on the screen the lines move. My initial notion was that this was caused by the cabinet being screwed too tightly together causing the screen to bow out slightly. The plastic screen has a slight pattern to it & when a transparent panel with a pattern is concaved or convexed slightly, it will cause the pattern to shift...it seems like this is what I am seeing. I just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this. I know it's not just my set...having looked at over 20 that have the same issue.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is a guess, but could it be a form of interference formed between two parallel surfaces. Similar to newton rings seen when you press two glass slides together.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Supposedly, acrylic very often has flaws in it which appear like parallel-ish wavy lines. Remember when that cube imac came out, everybody who got one was complaining about the flaws in the clear acrylic case. My superduperthin glasses lenses have them in spots. These look like scratches, but they're inside the material.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try & post a pic to help illustrate what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdmoser
This is a guess, but could it be a form of interference formed between two parallel surfaces. Similar to newton rings seen when you press two glass slides together.
I have this on my 437W, though it's only visible with solid colors, and primarily on the right side. It isn't a huge deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly, it's visible only on solid lighter colored backgrounds. Very obvious on animation sequences, i.e. Monsters Inc. & such. Mine must be worse than yours, because it bothers the heck out of me...but I'm exeptionally anal as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like it could be internal reflections from ambient light in the room. Do you see the wavy lines all the time, or only when there's a lot of light in the room? I see a "smudge" on the screen of my HLN617W, but only when there's a lot of ambient light. I don't see the smudge when viewing in the dark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.