AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not HD related, but I figured that this would be good to post, anyway so the word can be passed around. The more I hear and see of Mark the more I like him. Way to go!

Mavs owner founds Fallen Patriot Fund

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Darren Rovell

ESPN.com

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban might be best remembered for ponying up more than $1 million in fines handed down by the NBA, but the billionaire's philanthropic record bears mention as well.

Cuban has created The Fallen Patriot Fund, an organization geared to help families of U.S. military personnel who were killed or wounded in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Mark Cuban

"We all spent time talking about our support for our troops, but no one really said anything about the immediate families of those who lost loved ones in Iraq," Cuban said. "I just felt I could and should do something more. This was purely a personal thing with my wife and myself."

Cuban, who said he does not personally know any of the soldiers wounded or killed in battle, pledged that he will match up to $1 million in total donations made online at www.fallenpatriotfund.org or donations earmarked for the fund at local branches of Bank of America.

Money will be distributed to the significant others and children of military personnel killed or injured in the war based on demonstrated need, Cuban said. Funds will be distributed within weeks of the first grant application.

Mavericks players Nick Van Exel and Steve Nash, who wore a "No War. Shoot for Peace" shirt during All-Star Weekend, have been criticized for their anti-war stances, but when the Mavericks played the San Antonio Spurs on March 20, Cuban wore a "United We Stand" T-shirt.

According to figures released by the U.S. Defense Department on Tuesday, 121 Americans have been killed in battle and 495 soldiers have been wounded in the month-long war.

Cuban matched the dollar figure of the fines he received last season with donations to cancer research and MPS, a rare enzyme disorder. He also donated $1 million to the World Trade Center relief effort following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

The Fallen Patriot Fund is not affiliated with the Mavericks, but the team's Web site will feature a banner promoting the program.

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at [email protected] .

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks Mark. I plan on donating.

Good to see someone put their money where their mouth is.

I am tired of seeing politicians, Hollywood, sports stars, etc. speak the correct words, but fail to follow through.

If Mark can actually get D* to pick up HDNet movies, he should get our write in for president in 2004.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nice going Mark. Why oh why can't we get HDnet movies on D*?

Damn Directv, I'll pay for it .......come on....................

·
Registered
404 Posts
"This is not HD related"

Exactly!!!! But who gives a Damn!!!! This is a worthy cause, and being promoted by one of our most loyal HD enthusiast and pioneers.

Mods...Leave it alone...Keep it right here!

·
Registered
490 Posts
It doesn't bother me that this is "not HD related", per se.

I figure that this forum is populated with a lot of Mark Cuban fans, and most might not see this if posted elsewhere (myself included).

I'm sure it could get argued on end, but almost anything about Mark Cuban is relevant to this forum in my opinion.

It's nice to see someone with an abundance of wealth doing some good with it instead of being a Scrooge.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Mark has more than earned our loyalty and anything extra we can get him by leaving this thread on the Programming Board he has richly earned.

We also need to remember him when the bigger corporations try to star squeezing him out of HD - as Disney obviously is doing with HDNet's MLB this year.

So, if and when D gets ESPN-HD, I will not subscribe until HDNet gets its piece of the pie back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.