AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an old HT-PC that I have been using for some years now. I use the built in soundcard on the motherboard (Abit IP35-Pro), and use a toslink between the PC and the receiver (Yamaha RXV-1800).

I listen to music on Spotify a lot (320kb), flac, and I watch many series/movies on the PC (Dolby Digital / DTS).

If I wanted to upgrade the sound quite a bit, for both movies & Music, what should I be looking for?

Or do I have to CHOOSE a path:

1. Stereo sound: Get a DAC

2. Movies: Get a new Soundcard

Any tips/advice is welcome (Both cheap & expensive)!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myggpower /forum/post/20834611

I got an old HT-PC that I have been using for some years now. I use the built in soundcard on the motherboard (Abit IP35-Pro), and use a toslink between the PC and the receiver (Yamaha RXV-1800).

I listen to music on Spotify a lot (320kb), flac, and I watch many series/movies on the PC (Dolby Digital / DTS).

If I wanted to upgrade the sound quite a bit, for both movies & Music, what should I be looking for?

Or do I have to CHOOSE a path:

1. Stereo sound: Get a DAC

2. Movies: Get a new Soundcard

Any tips/advice is welcome (Both cheap & expensive)!

You are already bit-streaming to a receiver. The only real way to upgrade the sound 'quite a bit' is speakers.

You are looking at the wrong component for a serious SQ upgrade.

My 2.0 PC is using a $160 E-MU 1212M PCIe going to a $179 Crown XLS402D feeding a pair of Statements (I believe they hang in the $10K + range speakers out there). It's all about the speakers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there is no need for me to upgrade the sound by buying a DAC or a "better" soundcard then.

Then I'll just stick with what I got

It's not that Im not happy with my sound, I was just checking if there was an inexpensive way to upgrade the sound a bit.. instead of buying new speakers

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myggpower /forum/post/20836607

So there is no need for me to upgrade the sound by buying a DAC or a "better" soundcard then.

Then I'll just stick with what I got

It's not that Im not happy with my sound, I was just checking if there was an inexpensive way to upgrade the sound a bit.. instead of buying new speakers

By going TOSLink you aren't really using the sound card on your computer. The actual conversion is being handled by the receiver.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My post is slightly off topic if that's ok.

I just got a new Pioneer SC-35. which unfortunately wont play my FLAC files on my NAS drive

I have a revo 1600 running XBMC and a PS3 with PS3 Media Server. When i play my FLAC through them it changes to PCM. Is this still the same quality?

I have a couple 192/44 FLAC's the Revo didnt like them at all
but the regular 44k FLACS were just fine...

Mostly i am wondering if I am losing something by converting to PCM?

Thanks in advance...

Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts