·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All Steelbooks

Elf - 10th Anniversary edition

Christmas Story - 30th Anniversary Edition

Scrooged - 25th Anniversary Edition

No news on details. All we know is that ALL will be steelbooks and combos (BD/DVD/UV).

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
These are 3 easy instant buys. The Elf cover looks a bit odd though.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
How about Christmas Vacation with a brand new 4k transfer from restored elements? It's easily as good as the original... and some parts are even funnier! The current Blu-ray is atrocious.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman  /t/1482281/wb-christmas-anniversary-editions-elf-christmas-story-scrooged#post_23548426

How about Christmas Vacation with a brand new 4k transfer from restored elements? It's easily as good as the original... and some parts are even funnier! The current Blu-ray is atrocious.

Oh in what way? So far the only complaints I have read have been about the principal footage in CV. I have all three vacation BDs and CV is the best looking, sure it's grainy as it should be unlike Vaction which has been scrubbed of all grain and European which has thick dnr. I would rather have a transfer warts and all then a 'fixed for modern viewers' transfer.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Scrooged.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Any word if Elf is a new transfer? Would be nice to have a version that isn't all DNR'd. I thought the BD looked fine on a smaller TV, but it looks pretty poor on a larger screen.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan  /t/1482281/wb-christmas-anniversary-editions-elf-christmas-story-scrooged#post_24079092

Any word if Elf is a new transfer? Would be nice to have a version that isn't all DNR'd. I thought the BD looked fine on a smaller TV, but it looks pretty poor on a larger screen.

This is Warner Brothers we're talking about, so forget the idea of a remastered version. If UHD discs ever come out, I'd bet they'll be the first to use 1080p up-converts passed off as 2160p (along with Universal). They did it with their first Blu-ray titles using old, filtered 1080i (with about 540p effective resolution) masters and stating they were 1080p.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Christmas Vacation remaster screenshots are up at blu-ray.com and while there are no direct comparisons yet from what little I have seen the new release may have more film grain (yeah), more detail and less ringing.

Now if WB could redo Vacation and European Vacation with film grain in them, I got Vega Vacation and that looks pretty good.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Last week I picked up two holiday classics, both "25th Anny new/remastered" titles, Christmas Vacation Steel Book and Home Alone (just the first of course). I haven't had time to fully watch either one but rather pop them in and skip around to check PQ...and honestly, I was quite happy with them! They looked great all things considered, certainly worth the $14.95 each anyway. Neither title had glaring issues, if any. Both had plenty of fine grain, no blown out contrast, no DNR or halo's, have better clarity than previous releases/editions, etc. Probably about as good as these two flicks can look. They're both safe purchases and definite improvements over the previous BD's.

EDIT: why did they use Richard Simmons for the Elf steel book cover?!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sorry for the necropost but I can't find anywhere if A Christmas Story is a new remaster over the previously released versions.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts

·
Registered
28,246 Posts
WB loathes remastering previously issued movies on the same format. They rarely do it, even for popular movies.
Warner is loosening up on this little by little. The recent reissues for Christmas Vacation and Home Alone were both remastered from new 4k film scans.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
They did it for Goodfellas and Enter The Dragon as well. I was unaware Christmas Vacation received a new remaster. Home Alone is handled by Fox.

WB got caught pushing out a lot of sloppy transfers very early in the HD DVD/Blu-ray lifecycle, possibly due to financial incentives. The other studios were more selective for the most part, so they had fewer Blu-rays out that needed obvious remasters.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
WB got caught pushing out a lot of sloppy transfers very early in the HD DVD/Blu-ray lifecycle, possibly due to financial incentives. The other studios were more selective for the most part, so they had fewer Blu-rays out that needed obvious remasters.
If that were the case Sony would not be doing so many remasters. All the studios are just as guilty as WB in needing obvious remasters and being sloppy. They all have a mixed record in this regard.

They did it for Goodfellas and Enter The Dragon as well. I was unaware Christmas Vacation received a new remaster. Home Alone is handled by Fox.
WB has also released redos for Lord of Rings, Superman (boxset), Caddyshack, Excalibur, Road Warrior (new encode) and the Fugitive just to name a few.
I do not know how you missed Christmas Vacation, it is mentioned right on the same page as your post.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts