AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WB on DTS

966 views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Bradad 
#1 ·
This is an excerpt from a question/answer session with a Warner Bros rep (from The Digital Bits site):

First instance:

[Samuel_M] Given Paramount's newly announced plans to support DTS with the upcoming Jack Ryan Box Set, what will be the extent of WB support of DTS in the future?

[Warner] No plans for DTS at this time.

Later on:

[mark_basile] Thanks for coming and forgive me if this has already been asked. How does Warner determine which titles get DTS or not?

[Warner] It's easy. None do.

Here's a link to the entire session. However, be warned that you may read some more bad news.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...03htfchat.html

WB, along with the DVD-A alliance, has botched DVD-A's initial release and are currently coughing up blood on the music end. The DVD-A format could have been so much more -- alas, it's a mere shadow of a format. After looking at the new releases announced recently, the best I could do was "Why bother?".

On the DVD-V side, instead of including DTS -- even at the half-rate in use today -- like most studios have done, we get this crap. Somebody, please buy this company.

Now, in response to the WB bumbling, here's my question/answer session:

A: Warner Bros

Q: What do you get when your head and rectum occupy the same point in space and time?

See less See more
#3 ·
Of the 100+ DVDs that I own, I believe only 4 are WB titles. I can spot them pretty quick -- I just look for those piece of crap cases they use.

However, there are some WB titles that I am sort of interested in. They're not "must have" titles, but if they had a DTS soundtrack, I would be more inclined to purchase them.

As for DVD-As, I won't purchase a WB disc until #1 they apologize for using watermarks (I'm not a criminal or a pirate, so don't treat me like one), #2 stop using watermarks (I want to purchase high resolution music, not crap mixed with music) and #3 include a dedicated stereo track, 24/96 or 24/192, with every release (I prefer surround for movies, not music) -- in that order.

#6 ·
Is there a reason they don't want to do any DTS? Is DTS expensive to license or is it owned by another studio conglomerate?

#7 ·
Universal has an interest in DTS. Steven Speilberg also owns some interest in the company, but I believe it's personal (seperate from Dreamworks). Other studios use DTS, so this isn't a valid concern. As far as the costs, regardless of what they are, they don't stop other studios (much smaller than WB) from using DTS.

I can't think of a valid reason that... Hang on a minute.

"What?"

Excuse me for a second. Someone's yelling in the background. "What did you say?"

"Oh. OK." The word STUPIDITY has been offered.

"You're much too kind."

#8 ·
WB+DOLBY = big members of the dvdforum. WB earns royalties on all dvds manufactured it seems also (one reason Sony went alone with the blue ray consortium)

AOL/Warner are in deep doodoo with the largest loss ever posted :$100B.

I wonder how much dts asks as % for a dts track to be done/included on a dvd though.

the usual will say 1/2 dts is worthless and that's the reason :D

now, as long as the sound mix is well done (the matrix, soldier, LA confidential, heat (ld), etc), no such big deal to me. they also put out some of the best transfers ever: free willy, the pledge, la confidential, the dirty harry, blood work etc. some still had a bit too much of that pixelated look (none of those in this list), while often new line always shines with deep, 3D transfers (though too digital when they go the infinifilm route and some transfers have EE while warner rarely if ever includes EE).

i'd settle for a pristine image and an excellent soundmix in dolby 5.1 than a digital looking image, with ee and dts

nirvana is superbit of course (and sony was right in going the 1/2 rate dts)

#9 ·
half rate DTS is still better than dolby digital (to my ears) but Dolby Digital doesn't sound bad. On every DTS release I notice clearer dialog, better seperation, & more detail. Warner did use DTS on a few releases: Leathal Weapon 1-3, Twister, Interveiw with a Vampire, & American Outlaws. Twister is one of my best sounding DVDs. Why would warner do those and not others in DTS?

#11 ·
Warner Bros. doesn't do DTS for one simple reason: They have come to the conclusion that the inclusion of DTS does not boost sales in a meaningful enough way to justify the licensing costs.

Given that Warners has posted a record DVD profit this year, enough to bring their company back into the black, they may have a point.

http://us.imdb.com/StudioBrief/2003/20030424.html

Quote:
AOL Time Warner recorded a 97-percent increase in worldwide DVD revenue during the first quarter versus the same period a year ago. Its $658 million in DVD sales represented 21 percent of the total market and was higher than any other studio's. Sales were particularly strong for the Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and My Big Fat Greek Wedding titles. The results helped push AOL Time Warner into the black again after a series of record losses. The company reported net income of $396 million versus a loss of $54.2 billion during the comparable quarter a year ago.

#12 ·
The fact that Dolby Digital, in one form or another, must be included on a movie DVD (forget about LPCM for movies) in no way equates to public demand. The DVD forum could have waited a few more months to launch the DVD format. This would have allowed them to refine some of the format's compatibility issues and would have allowed DTS the chance to get their codec included as an equal spec, rather than as an alternative.

Much of what has come about for DVD is political and based on "friendships". Same thing happened with HDTV and everyone knows it. I now fear the backdoor dealings and political bullying that is going on with getting movies on HD-DVD. Sound quality has to be an issue and anything less than full bitrate DTS is not going to cut it (better would be desireable, but no less).

Where would Dolby be if they had to stand in line like everybody else, instead of having "friends" on the inside? And isn't it time we do away with "good enough" when it comes to quality? Would #23 still be the Michael Jordan we've known if his only desire was to be "good enough"?

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
Warner Bros. doesn't do DTS for one simple reason: They have come to the conclusion that the inclusion of DTS does not boost sales in a meaningful enough way to justify the licensing costs.

I have a sneaking feeling that WB will re-release their DVD titles with DTS only when Blu-Ray is in the horizon. That is if they don't already champion using WM9 and its propietary sound format on red-laser DVDs.

fuad

#14 ·
>>>I have a sneaking feeling that WB will re-release their DVD titles with DTS only when Blu-Ray is in the horizon.

#15 ·
Joe: full agree with you

Josh: interesting you mention LOTR: what % was the extended cut which included a dts track ? imho, this has more to do with maximizing profit per dvd rather than the public not buying the dts codec...

no wonder, for many reasons, that the 9 Consortium didn't present the blue ray to the forum but it seems toshiba-nec (ok) and/or wm9 will win the big pot. WM9 will require very very powerful dvd players (for PC, PIV 2.6GHZ mini and a beefy video card)

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by David600
Joe: full agree with you

Josh: interesting you mention LOTR: what % was the extended cut which included a dts track ? imho, this has more to do with maximizing profit per dvd rather than the public not buying the dts codec...

The entire length of the extended cut included a DTS track.

Quote:
no wonder, for many reasons, that the 9 Consortium didn't present the blue ray to the forum but it seems toshiba-nec (ok) and/or wm9 will win the big pot. WM9 will require very very powerful dvd players (for PC, PIV 2.6GHZ mini and a beefy video card)
The first year DVDs came out, the hardware requirement for it was high. Special video and audio decoder chips were needed. First gen players were bulky because of this. Now, the cheap players weigh next to nothing. I'm pretty sure that if we're going to Blu-Ray or even WM9 solutions, in five years the players will shrink in size while maitaining processing power.

fuad

#18 ·
How about including a "postage paid by addressee" card with every DVD that had a question or questions about DTS (along with other aspects of HT)? The average person would dispose of the card -- not worth their time.

I'm willing to bet that those people who buy DVDs that are more interested in quality (both video and audio) would fill out the card (I know I do). I'd imagine those people more in tune with quality prefer DTS when they are given a choice and it would be reflected in the percentages.

#19 ·
#20 ·
Quote:
I agree completelly,I'd also add to the "mix",that the 5 "test" DTS titles from WB was encoded by themselves at fullbit rate[DTS]and DD[448],and most people I know[including myself]thought that were no added value on the DTS tracks,on these titles. I guess WB concured.

No big loss here.

#23 ·
Here's the big problem with the bull headed WB: while they do a pretty good job on their newest discs when it comes to PQ, they still are in the dark ages when it comes to audio. Dolby Digital is still encoded at the less than desirable 384 kilobits/sec data rate!! Even Dolby Labs suggests at least 448 kilobits/sec. WB said it had to do with PQ. WTF?? That difference in bitrates is so inconsequential to the video, but the audio does get better.

I find that many of WB's DD tracks are dull and lifeless with a very compressed quality. On their less than fair DTS reissues, what they didn't tell you besides the same masters were used for DD and DTS, was that they were the dumbed down for DD downmixing masters they used. DTS cannot be downmixed in the DVD player so its soundtrack master does not have to be manipulated to sound good for both 5.1 and 2.0 surround. That's what happened to Universal's first botch job on the Jurassic Park DTS DVD. They did fix it in later pressings, however. Something WB has never done.

At least New Line and Morgan Creek have decided that DTS is a nice added bonus (both are owned by the mess that is AOL/Time-Warner). And don't forget New Line does spend the money on some DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 remixes too, and doesn't use that damn snapper case.

WB did have a bit of a snippy f--k off attitude for some consumer demands.

Dan

#24 ·
hi Dan

it's also about maximizing profits (lol!!!!!!! aol-time warner is about maximizing debts : a record $100B). no wonder it's often the WB dvd that can be found for $10.

now, there have done some great dvds. I saw again some dirty Harry this week: I really like the image and the sound, great depth, very nice dolby for these 30-20years old movies. but probably it has a lot to do first with how the movies were shot, without today's excessive color filtering etc (hate that).

#25 ·
Would someone please list the five Warner "test" titles that contain a DTS track?

Personally, I think that Warner is one of the best studios when it comes to DVD. Their 2-disc special edition releases such as Singin' in the Rain (one of the best looking if not sounding DVDs in my collection), Citizen Kane, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus are Top Quality. Also, no studio can compete with the volume and speed with which Warner adopted DVD. Without Warner, DVD would not have been the most successful commercial product in history.

I admit DTS can sound better, however, I would rather get 5 of my favorite flicks released on DVD in "low" bit rate DD than only one or two in DTS. Warner delivers.

#26 ·
Quote:
Without Warner, DVD would not have been the most successful commercial product in history.
This is true, but that doesn't mean that they can stop trying to please their consumers. I would like to see Warner use DTS as I prefer having a choice. But even more than that, they keep using the snapper cases, which most of us aren't fond of, and they still use 384 bitrate Dolby instead of the superior 448. To me, these go to show that Warner is not interested in meeting some expressed wishes of their consumers, which bothers me. Studios such as Fox, New Line, etc., continue to put out every bit as high quality a product as Warner without using snappers, and use both DTS and 448kbps Dolby. There really isn't an excuse why Warner couldn't as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.