AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and this is my first posting, although I have read it for sometime. I live at 144th and 84th avenue in Orland Park. I receive everything but Channel 2 in digital via my 18 year old attic wineguard VHF/UHF antenna and channel master amp. With the news of the last few days, I guess I will wait until Monday evening to see if I can receive WBBM DT.

My Sony HD 100 has been set up to scan and rescan a number of times and it still says searching for digital signal when 2.1 is programmed in.

I have been told that perhaps moving the antenna in the attic might or might not work. I have been told that the reason it doesn't work is that it is a VHF signal and the others are UHF. Further, there is the power and direction issues. From what Sound and Vision in Orland Park says, reception all over is hit or miss. I'd rather not replace or move the attic antenna without even seeing "full" power in action.

I sure hope this is not pie in the sky. You others have been waiting far longer than I have. Sure wish I could have seen the Master's in HDTV, though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
See what signal strength you get on digital channel 3 -- you should get something. Then I would suggest rotating the antenna to see which direction gives you the best signal.

And of course outside is much better than inside for most everyone. Good luck, happy viewing, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Scott-

I also live on Orland at about 164th and 108th Ave.

I get WBBM-DT 3-1 fine with a Radio Shack antenna mounted outside.

I would suggest trying the signal strength test mentioned in the previous post. Another thing to try is adjusting for the best possible picture on analog CH2 first.

I have a co-worker that lives in Lemont, and gets WBBM-DT sporadically with his attic antenna.

At this point, you may just want to wait to see hat happens when they turn on the new antenna, and crank up the power. If fine tuning in the attic does not work after that, you may need to put the antenna outside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live in Mokena at Wolf and Rt. 30 have been successful with an attic mounted Radio Shack VU-190XR. I needed to tweak it a bit, but now I get WBBM-DT in with only a dropout or 2 per hour, which I believe is par for the course.

It's mast mounted since I had to get it up about 5 feet above the duct work, ect. to get the signal. I still cannot get WTTW-DT unless I de-tune the antenna for WBBM-DT, which I am NOT about to do! So, I may be going to a 2 antenna setup and use the RS for VHF only.

Let's hope we see something good happen on Monday ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Scott:

Hello there from another Orland Park HDTV enthusiast.

I knew in advance of the issues with WBBM's digital channel, so when I installed my antenna last November, I went ahead and had the installers put an antenna outside, on my roof. My antenna is a Winegard (the current model 7082), and it receives all of the Chicago digital stations, even WBBM, although I have "Lost" the PBS digital channels. This happened when the wind really blew my antenna off-aim, and I am not willing to risk losing the others just to get WTTW PBS, so I am leaving it for now.

I tried a set top antenna (Radio Shack double bow tie), on my own, and it got NBC, ABC, Fox, WB, Pax, etc. No WBBM, which is no surpise since that antenna is a UHF only. I then tried a very large Radio Shack in my attic, and I got everything except WBBM CBS. This Radio Shack was a combination UHF/VHF, and it was huge. Still, no luck with CBS.

I am at the southern edge of Orland Park, and further west than you (I am close to 104th Avenue, and 179th Street). I have no doubts that an outdoor rooftop solution would solve the problem for you, right now. However, if I were you, I would wait and see if the new Hancock antenna, and full power solves it without this being necessary (assuming that Winegard in your attic is a VHF antenna as well).

My WBBM reception is generally rock solid, at least as good as the others. I rarely experience any dropouts, and when I do it is just as likely to be weather-related as anything. I actually think my CBS tends to have fewer problems than my ABC digital reception does.

Just my thoughts,

-Bruce in Chi-Town

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will see what it looks like tonight. Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I live in Mokena at Wolf and Rt. 30 have been successful with an attic mounted Radio Shack VU-190XR. I needed to tweak it a bit, but now I get WBBM-DT in with only a dropout or 2 per hour, which I believe is par for the course.

>>

What kind of STB do you have? I'm at Laraway and 116th and my Samsung T-160 has problems getting WBBM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled the AC plug on the Sony HD100 last night to rescan the analog and digital channels using my antenna and it locked up. It was shipped to Sony today. Hopefully back by late next week. Never got to see if WBBM DT was received. Oh, well. My wife is ready to kill me again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.