Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 9:40 Am today (Monday, April 28) WBBM-DT

went to our new main antenna at full power: 3.7Kw ERP at a height of 1468Ft.

We are now broadcasting DTV in all directions,

(including Indiana)

Hopefully this will make a big difference, we

look forward to hearing from viewers and will

be watching the forum.

Thanks to all for your patience and input.

Larry Davis

WBBM-TV Transmitter

·
Registered
502 Posts
Excellent work Larry!!!

Let the complaining stop. If you still can not receive this channel then the problem is on your end.

1. Move Antenna to roof.

2. Get a bigger antenna

3. Get impulse noise fixed

4. Get a STB that works well with Multi-path.

5. Get cable

As a last resort, MOVE.

:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well!:) It looks like all of the crazy posts will stop. Like the last post mentioned, it looks like if there is any problems with the reception, it's probably due to something wrong on our end.

I live in Bolingbrook, and I recently installed a Radio Shack antenna in my attic. I was able to get all the channels except WBBM. When I get home tonight, im going to try and see what I get. I will post on what results I get. Wish me luck!:D

Also, thanks Larry for giving the important Info on the antenna issues. Whatever the outcome, I do believe it was worth the effort.

(p.s) I dont have a signal strength meter(HD tuner built into TV) and I cant "aim" my antenna due to it being in the attic. So I hope I can get something. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
OK, this doesn't make sense to me.

Have a roof mounted amplified Winegartner antenna that pulls in all Chicago stations except for WBBM-DT! Was disappointed before but when I learned that they were going to be turning up a new antenna, I anxiously waited.... for nothing?? There is no good reason why my Samsung TS160 shouldn't be able to pull in a decent even weak signal. The lowest signal I receive is from NBC and that is at a Strong 77%. The fact that the channel doesn't even appear on the digital channel scan assumes that the signal is lower than 20%!!

Isn't there some tweaking that they can do at the transmitter? Again, this makes no sense to me

·
Registered
924 Posts
What model antenna do you have? I hope it is not one that is round or round with wings, it should be a traditional type antenna with a series of long elements for VHF.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
I think everyone needs to realize that just because the new antenna is on does not mean you will instantly receive the signal trouble free. Some tweaking will need to be done on YOUR part. You will get out of it what you put into it. Keep in mind that the digital signals are coming from the Sears Tower and from the Hancock. You will have to move your antenna to find a happy medium to pull in all of these signals. That is why it is important to do the following:

1) Slightly oversize your antenna.

2) Put your antenna out on the roof up high. Go as high as you can. Preferably at least 20'.

3) Make sure your antenna is level.

4) Make sure your mast is plumb.

5) Use a rotor/rotator. This simplifies tweaking on your end. You will need to make adjustments when aiming your antenna. Just pointing at downtown will not necessarily ensure good reception. You need to adjust the antenna in small increments such as

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its up

no

its down

ya its back up again

No Comcast has 2 more weeks to clear up their channel 3 problem

Yes the new antenna is up now, but not at full power becasue of comcast again

No its back to pre 2001 levels at the old antenna

Does anyone know what is really going on????

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The latest development in the ongoing story of "The Great WBBM-DT Jinx" is that Comcast will have to pull this channel from its opening lineup for the official startup of the cable HDTV package because Viacom is demanding carriage fees (negotiations in progress). One bright spot has been excellent OTA reception the last few days at my location. I guess atmospheric conditions have been ideal this week. We'll see how it goes on the CSI rerun tonight.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Moderator, could you please retitle this thread to "WBBM-DT New Antenna is ON! (for a few weeks and then off again)"?

Their website tells people to come to the avsforum for information but nobody there has the courtesy to come here and let us know that they are back to the old antenna. I only wonder how many people thought there was a problem with their equipment and did unnecessary tweaking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.