Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

Im in North Aurora. All of my other digital chanels are coming in just fine, but WBBM isnt. We are expriencing audio dropouts and video pixelation. Please tell me we arent the only ones and that things will improve come game time. Please.

Tom

·
Registered
457 Posts
Right there with you, purduealum91. I live in eastern Aurora (Stonebridge) and same thing here. Bad timing on the increased pixelation and video/audio dropouts :(

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well I'm much closer than you guys. I'm about 10 miles west and 4 miles north of downtown. I can't get the signal for long enough for the sound to even kick in. I've never had problems with WBBM, even back when they were pushing about 25% power. No probems with any other stations today, just WBBM.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. To me, thi is inexcusable. Of all days! We are new to HDTV and were dying to watch this game in HD. Now, it looks like back to non HD D*. Darn!

In my opinion, CBS should have been working on it day and night trying to correct this situation. IS whats happening today normal?

·
Registered
226 Posts
It appears that it's only the 3 of us having problems. Others are posting that they're aren't having any problems with WBBM. So I don't know what the problem is. I've never had trouble with this channel, so no, this is not normal.

I'm going to take a few mintues to reset my STB and see if that helps. BTW, FWIW I'm using a Panasonic STB. Fortunately for me I also have the DirecTV feed so it's not a total loss for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought Tom from WBBM assured us that everything will be fine for the Super Bowl. I'm in Bartlett and consistently getting audio drops and pixellation. I have a Sony receiver and the signal strength vacillates into the bad zone. I'm fortunate to have DirectTV since the analog signal really sucks. Thanks Tom.:mad:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still put for me. Im lucky as well to have D*. If I could have anything to do with, heads would be rolling. Imagine the avg person who just spent good money on an HD set, put up an antenna, and is unable to watch the game. Cant wait to hear what Tom has to say.

Tom in North Aurora

·
Registered
22 Posts
I noticed some of you as far west as I were having problems with CBS2 out of Chicago. I'm in St Charles and also had a lot of problems with my Zenith SAT520 OTA/DirecTV receiver. My signal rating would fluctuate between bad and good, all other channels were steady like a rock. I recently switched to a Samsung TS160 and the signal strength still fluctuates but I'm up to the 86-93% range now. While I did witness a few issues during the Superbowl I'm not sure if they were from my setup or the feed. I suspect the feed since the same types of problems were experienced on DirecTV channel 80. The problems I saw consisted of audio dropouts (half time show was horrible) and lost sound during some commericals (cadillac commerical being one of them). Bottom line is you may want to try a different receiver to see if it makes a difference as it did for me.

Paul

·
Registered
237 Posts
I live in Tinley Park which is about 30 miles SW of Chicago. This is the reason I went with Comcast for my local HD. I could never get two even plain old analog. That being said although the picture was rock solid for the whole game I did experience the audio problem. It seemed to get better at the start of the second half, but seemed to return in the 4th quarter. I don't mean to be a jerk PH , but the Cadillac commercial was designed that way. I too thought there was something wrong and it took me a while to get the point. The point was the car is moving faster than sound.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is why I will never watch WBBM again, I'll watch the CBS feed out of NY on D*. WBBM is just too unreliable with their feed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I e-mailed WBBMTom last Friday about the signal fluctuations. He had one of his technicians give me a call on Saturday. The tech went through a checklist with me. It was his conclusion that I had EMF interference issues that were causing the signal to fluctuate.

He came to this conclusion because I have EMF on analog 2.

The tech said that it was most likely coming from an electric motor, and it could be anywhere within a one block radius. My electical engineer father-in-law agreed that a DC motor could be the cause, and that there is no way to filter the EMF out.

I didn't have much of a problem during the Superbowl. I bypassed the VCR and turned off my Wi-Fi LAN just to make sure that they weren't the problem. The VCR was back in line last night, and I did have more signal fluctuations than with it bypassed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One night last week. WBBM was very strong and at exactly 7:30PM the signal died, zero......nothing turned on/off in the house. Can't explain it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Eric that stinks but it may force you to go cable for HD. I hate paying for something I can get free, but I tried the antenna route and was told basically no-go because of some goofball local television station that has their tower by me which is messing up the signal. Comcast HD has been great by the way. SO I have DBS for 90% of what I watch and Comcast for local HD. It works well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Foowigs, I just got rid of Comcast. I can't afford them, quite frankly. Can't afford DBS either.

I just got my Zenith last Thursday. The weather has been so bad lately (another 2.5" of snow last night) that I haven't been able to tweak the antenna at all since I got it. I will exhaust every possible tweak before I go back to Comcast with my tail between my legs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Eric how hard would it be to try and locate the motor? If that is the problem I really don't see how tweaking the antenna will help. Good luck though. DC means running off a battery right? If it's all the time who the heck is running a motor 24/7 off battery power?

·
Registered
150 Posts
My antenna is very directional. Changing the heading might minimize the interference, because the antenna gain drops off a cliff outside of a narrow band right in front.

DC motors run on AC (it is DC inside the motor). DC motors create an electrical arc that creates EMF. AC motors operate off of magnetic induction and do not create any arcs.

There are all kinds of DC motors out there. It could be my neighbors old heating system blower, for example. It would be very difficult to find.

The fact that so many people are having dropout problems leads me to believe that the WBBM tech might be wrong. It might not be a local problem. And it might get better on its own.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks, I was having a hard time figuring that one out. WBBM has been notorious for bad signals even 35 years ago when I was a young pup. I remember my poor dad moving the rabbit ears around trying to get 2. Then even when we put up an antenna it was hit or miss. I do get drop-offs from time to time on 2 HD even with Comcast but it is always audio and not the picture.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am also having problems receiving WBBM HD. I live in the Fox Valley mall area of Aurora (Oakhurst) and am using a Sony SAT-HD200 with an attic antenna. All others HD stations come in clearly, but not CBS.

Has anyone found a good attic antenna for HD? (to comply with HO association rules)HD

Ralph

·
Registered
237 Posts
Don I am sure you know this and maybe don't want to push the envelope, But the HO can't stop you from putting up an antenna. They can regulate a little as to size and placement but that's it. It is a federal law. I just went through this with my mother. They backed down but my ma didn't want to po everybody so she stuck with cable. I was trying to get her to switch to DBS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.