AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, never used their stuff, but on this set of Bi-Amp cables I plan too.

Heres the Question:::>

Do you ~{HAVE to use WBT's Crimper/Cutter}~ when making spade connections, or an you use something else?

The spades themselves and all nesessary hardware is priced tolerable but their crimp/cut off tool, (which they say is the only one you can use) is quite pricey and can only be used with their stufff, very over done IMO. Com'on, 14k gold plated! Yes very nice stuff, not bashing them on that but the tool is something else.

Even with a Business license it still cost me 49.00 smakers + shipping for their Crimp tool! :eek:

If there is another brand, with a slot kit or what ever may work and is more reasonabley priced, "please" let me know who makes it, where to find it, and what it costs.

WBT related Question:::>

Those of you that have used their cable building products, what do you think of their stuff???

Specificly wire end connectors of all types & also their Top Line Binding Posts?

I'm looking at using their Top Line~WBT-6080 Silver Sandwich spades with the Elastomer shock asorber and their 12-AWG Crimp Sleeves. Hence the question above on their Pagon Gods GOLD Crimp tool!

I just hate to spend that much if I don't have too! Not sure if I will like the ends enough (though they come extremly highly recommended) to continue to use their wire end products. I expect I will like them, but you never know.

They are very well respected in the industry and hold a number of patents, (20) just pertaining to audio connectors.

So am I "screwed" into using their WBT-0403 Gold plated crimping pliers for my situation?

Calling all WBT cable builders out there....

Thanks

Geoff

·
Registered
842 Posts
Can't say anything about the spade connectors or binding posts, but

i use their chassis mount rca connectors and their high line rca plugs.

The quality is absolutely amazing. The machining is perfect, the plating

is perfect, the teflon dielectric is precision machined. Their plugs when

tightened on to their chassis mount connectors make for a very tight

connection.

Wilson audio uses their high line binding posts on all their speakers.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kevin

Yes the quailty of their products is outstanding and like you said is providing OEM for a number of high-end manufactures.

Being that you mention Binding posts, the newest top of the line Wharfeldale Speaker line thats been just recently released (The Evouluton line) uses the Top line bi-wire/bi-amp binding post. Very nice! You won't find these speaks on the internet, dealer showroom sales only. I spoke with Jeff a Wharf-USA and he tells me their moving back to the days of old, much higher quailty products and no internet sales. This will be an on going process over the next year ad half or so. Said a number of high-end speakers are on the drawing board now.

A little off subject but found it interesting and I've always been fond of the (higher end Britt) sound. It's definitly not for everyone.

Still looking for someone to chime in and see if I can cheat with a different crimper than their GOLD plated one. So much of their stuff is patented that something tells me that I am pretty much forced to buy their crimper/cutter. I'd talk to them but they certainly are not going to tell me if there is a way around their crimper!:)

I can get a pretty good break on most everything they build, (average around 30-40%) but for some reason your not gona get a break on the part you need to put it all together. Speaking of the WBT compression crimper.

I'll probley just have to bite the bullet as they say, and turn over the cash. As far as I know it's only useful with WBT's stuff. I'll hold off another day or two before ordering to see if someone comes along with a alternate suggestion.

Damn nice quailty products with extremly good looks to boot...IMO

Cheers

Geoff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.