AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this HD at best Buy for $129. after rebate. Question is - do I attempt to upgrade with it or return it. I've got 3 days to decide. It's not a BB! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've done it in two machines with that drive. I've also gotten the 80 gig version to work too.

A word of caution though.... I have NOT been able to get the system up upgrade with either drive over the past 6 months. I am now on my 5th UTV receiver. My system never finishes the Connecting to WebTV connect dialog. It stays at 95% for hours. So I don't know if that means people in southern Ca can't do the update anymore, or if this drive doesn't work, or if my three P4 sub cards are black listed or what. I really have no idea what is wrong, but at one time I was able to do the update with the drive you have.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Christobol
I've done it in two machines with that drive. I've also gotten the 80 gig version to work too.

A word of caution though.... I have NOT been able to get the system up upgrade with either drive over the past 6 months. I am now on my 5th UTV receiver. My system never finishes the Connecting to WebTV connect dialog. It stays at 95% for hours. So I don't know if that means people in southern Ca can't do the update anymore, or if this drive doesn't work, or if my three P4 sub cards are black listed or what. I really have no idea what is wrong, but at one time I was able to do the update with the drive you have.
This is the dialing-certain-access-numbers-doesn't-work problem. After it dials the 800 number and hangs up. Wait 'till it dials the local number and tries to connect. Pull the phone cord. It will give up and try to dial a different local number. Repeat until you find a local number that works.

This is a very common problem but surprisingly the CSRs never seem to know anything about it.

Clip

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nomax
Since so many people have had trouble with the JB's depending on the LBA count I would return it and go with the circuit city 120BB for $99.
Hi,

ATA Security is the only concern you need to worry about with your IDE Hard Drive and UTV... If you have it your good... if you don't then get a drive that does have it...

The JB models have had a checked past regarding ATA Security, but recently have improved on that front.

the LBA # should end with the #1648... if it does it should support security. You can double check by downloading a program called Drive Fitness Test that will confirm ATA Security Support.

If the LBA # should end with the #0000 then it doesn't support security...

If you can't see/read the LBA # on the drive then you should probably download drive fitness test or return the drive...

Older Drives of various types from Western Digital and Maxtor (to name a few) didn't support security, but it seems that more and more newer drives are supporting the feature...

Later,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.