AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frys has then for 109, but for the life of me, I can't find any thread that says someone has successfully installed it and has it working. I'd like to pick one up today but not if it's not a proven UTV compatable drive.

thx

bob

·
Banned
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spongebob
Frys has then for 109, but for the life of me, I can't find any thread that says someone has successfully installed it and has it working. I'd like to pick one up today but not if it's not a proven UTV compatable drive.

thx

bob
bob: I thought I read that the AB versions would work. Hmmm...I just did a search, and didn't find any "confirmed" upgrades with these drives! Doh! Well, I already ordered two, which will arrive by this weekend. So, if it's of any use to you, I'll report on my success Friday evening. And if I have any problems, I'll just upgrade my raid system (digital library). $109 for a 120GB drive is still a great deal. But, I'll keep my fingers crossed. :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought two of these WD 5400 RPM (AB-series) drives over the weekend from Fry's and upgraded two brand new Sony W60's. A friend upgraded his RCA as well, although he bought his from Outpost.

Although my testing thus far has been limited to recording and manipulating about 30 hours of video on a single W60, these drives seem to work flawlessly. I beat the disk up fairly hard, recording two streams and watching a third simultaneously. No problem. The receiver even survived a 1 hour power outage while it was recording and seemed entirely healthy when the power returned. Of course, the system couldn't record while the power was out...

16 hours of movies have now filled 20% of the disk.

I've felt comfortable enough with the drive to recommend the upgrade to everyone I know. It's a remarkable bargain. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry - I don't understand the noise question. This is my first experience with UTV since I modified the 2 Sony's right out of the box. The stored video off the disk was clean, and far better than the Dish Network receiver it replaced. A friend who has used UTV for a year thought that the FF scanning was clearer on mine than on his non-upgraded system. We speculated that this may be due to a higher read channel data rate off the hard disk (since it has a higher capacity) OR the fact that my fresh disk wasn't fragmented. Either way, I'm delighted with the outcome.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry,

I meant the physical noise level from the spinning drive, itself. Some are quiet, some not :)

bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also successfully upgraded the Sony Sat-W60 with the WD1200AB. I was pretty critial about the noise, however I didn't notice either an increase or a decrease. Then again the noise of the unit in my living room didn't bother me to begin with. I did put the drive back into the rubberized sleve that the stock Segate had been in. The drive came with a jumper on which I did have to remove to get it to work correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ah, got it.

The disk seems very quiet. For reference, I use 7200 RPM drives in my PCs - and I can hear them spinning. When the Sony is running in a silent room, I can hear the 2" fan NEXT to the HD (in the box), but not the HD itself when recording. And for that, I need to put my head down within 2 feet of the receiver. Occasionally I can hear the heads moving from that distance, but again, this is in a silent room with no audio playing.

It would be interesting to compare this to the 7200 RPM WD drives. My uncorrelated assessment is that these drives would be more than quiet enough for all but the most picky audiophile.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic,

I'll pick one up this week :) I assume the install went smooth, just hook it up, plug in the phone line and wait?

Have you tried undoing the drives you pulled out to use in a PC?

Thx

bob

·
Banned
176 Posts
Well, I'm now at ease with this confirmation. Actually, low & behold, my Friday order arrived today! I did pay for ground shipping...no complaints! I'm upgrading one of my drives as we speak. I'm sure it will go fine. The only mishap I had was removing the IDE cable. The connector was not securely fastened to the cable, and popped right off. It wasn't a big deal since I had several extras. I'd suggest having an extra IDE cable for this procedure (just in case). Interesting enough, the stock cable was an ATA33 cable.

Cheers...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bob - I agree with NLogN...you need to be a bit careful pulling off the IDE cable or you can disassemble the cable end.

The first box took 15 minutes, the second about 8. Be careful when you take the top (cover) off...it lifts from the back UP (not backward), and the front panel stays attached to the cover. It's easier than it sounds. Savor every second of the upgrade process, it's finished too quickly.

You're correct regarding the download...plug in a phone line and wait 104 minutes.

I haven't recovered the 40G drives yet - they're a bit slow for my video work. I will at some point. Have fun!

·
Banned
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bentradio
***I did put the drive back into the rubberized sleve that the stock Segate had been in.***
As I was putting the rubberized sleeve on new drive, I noticed the following warning: "DO NOT COVER DRIVE HOLES!"

I assume those holes are for ventilation, and realized that the sleeve would cover at least three of them. I'm not sure if that would significantly impair the cooling of the drive, but excessive heat *is* a drive killer.

So, I'm not too sure that the rubberized cover is a good idea for this drive.

Just my .02...

·
Banned
176 Posts
FYI:

I successfully upgraded my two Utv's with 5400 WD 120GB's (AB version) last night.

Also, I successfully "zero'd" out the old drives using the known methodology. Note, I didn't have to power down my Utv for more than 30 seconds before initiating the procedure. Both disks fdisk'd & formatted without a hitch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also upgraded my Sony Sat-W60 last week with the WD1200AB and everything seems good. The guys at Fry's let me confirm through the anti-static bag that the bare drive had 234441648 user sectors on it (sometimes referred to as LBA count). Remember to take off all of the jumpers from this new drive when installing; leaving one jumper on the master position gave me an error message when booting up that was easily resolved by removing the jumper (with the power off).

From reviewing specs, the WD1200AB seems to have a _slight_ performance advantage over the Seagate U6 drive that came with the unit. I haven't noticed any speed differences yet. But the U6 may have a _slight_ edge in the quietness department. I didn't reuse the rubberized cover, but the new drive is still pretty quiet and the extra space is worth it. The fan sound still dominates much of the hard drive sound.

Thanks to this forum and its participants for making me even more happy with my UltimateTV.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too took advantage of the deal at Fry's for the WD 120GB 5400rpm model at $109. Now my question to you all is this...

Can I simply follow the upgrade instructions at blindsquirrel.org that were intended for RCA owners? or is there a similar site with detailed instructions for the W-60?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robster
Those instructions work fine. You'll find the inside of the RCA to be identical to the Sony box. Good luck!
I have upgraded both brands and I found there was a slight difference in the way the wiring from the front panel is connected to the motherboard. The cable on the RCA just pops right out of the motherboard connector while the Sony appears to be more securely attached. I gave the Sony cable a pretty firm pull on the mobo side and it didn't budge, so I just left it connected. It did make removing the screws for the old drive a bit of a hassle, but it would have been more of a headache to try repair the cable if I broke it trying to remove it. Other than that, the Blindsquirrel directions were identical for both models.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you Robster & LongRufus!

I'm now copying all that is on my stock drive to VHS to prepare for the upgrade this weekend. I'll check back before I begin in case anyone else has some words of advice. Then I'll report how well it is working for me once I am done!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is eveyone just ripping/peeling the sticker, or has anyone tried the hair-dryer approach to keep the void sticker intact?

Keith

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.