AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using the WD HD player on a Philips 42 PFL 8404 TV, connected via HDMI cable. The TV is then connected via SPDIF to the reciever (as it says in the manual, so no video lag accurs)

The problem is, there seems to be no DTS audio pass-through to the reciever. While Dolby Digital is working fine, and I get full 5.1 channel sound.

If I connect reciever directy to the player via optical cable, everything plays ok (even DTS), but then I get a video lag (as my reciever doesn't support audio delay) and I really don't like that.

I don't know where the problem is - in the WD player (it should support DTS pass-through) or the TV?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Did you put the Sound output has digital?

Try to download Audio Converter and do a DTS Cleanup track... it may help!

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-car /forum/post/17052415

Sound output is indeed set to digital

I also tried the DTS cleanup track with no results..

All your DTS movies have delay? And the delay begins from the start of the movie, or the delay gets bigger has the movie goes on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the delay has nothing to do with DTS. Delay occurs if I connect my reciever directly do the WD HD player (actually, the picture is delayed, as LCDs need some time to process it) and it occurts no matter what video I play

In hope to solve this problem I connected reciever to the TV instead of to the WD player (as it also said so in the TV manual).

Now the delay is fixed, but DTS audio does not play.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-car /forum/post/17052669

No, the delay has nothing to do with DTS. Delay occurs if I connect my reciever directly do the WD HD player (actually, the picture is delayed, as LCDs need some time to process it) and it occurts no matter what video I play

In hope to solve this problem I connected reciever to the TV instead of to the WD player (as it also said so in the TV manual).

Now the delay is fixed, but DTS audio does not play.

I have friends conecting WD TV to logitech Z-5500 with no problems... I think Logitech doesn't support audio delay either... so your receiver should work!

Hmmm... can you try your WD TV in another receiver? If the sound comes out with delay also you can assume that WD TV is not working properly... I think!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa /forum/post/17052724

I have friends conecting WD TV to logitech Z-5500 with no problems... I think Logitech doesn't support audio delay either... so your receiver should work!

Hmmm... can you try your WD TV in another receiver? If the sound comes out with delay also you can assume that WD TV is not working properly... I think!

There might be different delays with different LCDs, so maybe some people just don't notice it.

I'm pretty sure the delay is made by TV, it also says so in the manual. There's no delay if I connect it as described there

I would rather fix the DTS problem connected via TV (because I already gave up on fixing the delay..).

And I guess this isn't a problem of WD not supporting DTS audio, because that only goes for stereo downmixing - right? (I was considering returning it and getting myself an Xtreamer or WD HDTV 2)

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-car /forum/post/17052819

There might be different delays with different LCDs, so maybe some people just don't notice it.

I'm pretty sure the delay is made by TV, it also says so in the manual. There's no delay if I connect it as described there

I would rather fix the DTS problem connected via TV (because I already gave up on fixing the delay..).

And I guess this isn't a problem of WD not supporting DTS audio, because that only goes for stereo downmixing - right? (I was considering returning it and getting myself an Xtreamer or WD HDTV 2)

The thing is that WD TV doesn't do DTS Dowmnix... so if your movies have DTS, you will not hear any sound if you connect the WD TV directly to the TV!

The players right now in the market that do DTS Downmix are Egreat, Popcorn, Xtreamer, AC Ryan Playon!, Asus Oplay and much more!

Xtreamer came with a noisy fan... they are replacing, for free, the fans to their 1º batch costumers at this moment (newer batch are already shiped with new fan)... try to see if the new fan is better than the first! Xtreamer seems to be also a good player with active support so far... like AC Ryan (AC Ryan seems to have a better logistic, friendly and helpfull staff). AC Ryan is already being sold locally... so that is good news!

You can wait also for WD TV2... i think it will come with DTS Downmix... but I recomend you to read the reviews first!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is your Phillips display an older model or something? I have the new Panasonic 50G10 plasma connected via HDMI to the WDTV and my older Panasonic XR55 receiver via the optical to the WDTV and I don't have any audio syncing issues with any audio formats...DTS or otherwise..I'm in love with the WDTV right now along with the passport USBHDD's as I was doing the same thing as you burning DVD media with XVID's and MP3's and feeding them to a Phillips 642 player 4.7 gigs a pop....quite the hassle looking back on it... It's sounds like your TV is the problem..how big is the delay?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte /forum/post/17054070

Does it say in the Philips' user manual specifically that it can pass DTS through?

Not specifically, it doesn't say that for DD either. The manual just says not to connect home theater directly with the player, it should always go through the TV first. The HDMI ports are marked as 1.3a and S/PDIF (as well as analog L/R) is marked as "synchronization with screen"

The display is brand new 2009 model.

The delay is not that big, but when you notice it, it's annoying (I didn't at first, just something didn't seem right the first movie I watched). If I use home theather speakers together with the in-built speakers on the TV, you can hear sort like an echo

·
Registered
793 Posts
If there is no remark on DTS, it should be passed from HDMI to SPDIF...of course, it should delay the audio since it knows the ammount of it's own picture delay...

Anyway, an audio delay option is a MUST on an AV receiver, can't believe yours doesn't have it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte /forum/post/17055293

Anyway, an audio delay option is a MUST on an AV receiver, can't believe yours doesn't have it...

It's Yamaha RX-V350, I can't find it..

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah, Yamahas are ***** to set up
with mine (not same as yours) it's:

Main menu/Manual Setup/Sound menu/Audio set/then cycle to Audio Delay...

EDIT: Just downloaded the manual and couldn't find the option either...try to find it as explained above, perhaps we're missing something in the manual...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, was clicking through the menus for like anhour and I couldn't find anything.. only speaker distance setting..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts