AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Somebody needs to buy one of these and see how it works with WHS V1! Sounds like they should work well, if the trick of jumpering the pins allows it to format with the correct sector size like on the green drives.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ah but this are only for 1 - 5 bay NAS... So not practical if you want a larger storage solution than say 15TB.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Why? They're not doing anything (that I saw) to prevent using it in larger NAS's. Storagereview tried them in an 8-bay NAS and they worked fine. I'd bet it's just marketing to separate them from their enterprise RE4 drives.

·
Registered
321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89  /t/1419611/wd-red-drives#post_22205699

Storage review seems to like them well enough:
http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_red_nas_hard_drive_review_wd30efrx

And it looks like about $179 maybe for a 3TB (though nobody seems to have them in stock), which isn't terrible, and way, way cheaper than the RE4 drives that are usually recommended for RAID setups (especially from the NAS manufacturers).

Newegg has them in stock http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236344

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
They appear to be Green Drives with a little better error correction and slightly lower power usage...for about $10 more or so. I think I will start buying Reds instead of Greens.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfhancock  /t/1419611/wd-red-drives#post_22209117

Think we will see a price drop anytime soon or possibly a sale?

They just came out. Your guess is as good as anyone's.

I'm sure they will go down when/if mechanical hard drives ever go back to normal prices from the floods. I don't plan on buying new drives until then (I paid around $80 each for my samsung F4 2TB's before the flooding). But if I do buy new drives in the near future it will probably be these (since I don't care for seagate).

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro  /t/1419611/wd-red-drives#post_22209042

WD is advertising them as being reliable drives, basically admitting that the green drives were flaky.
No, they are admitting that green drives were not designed for use in some environments.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had 4xWD Green 1TB drives with RocketRAID 2310 for 3½ years now.

One drive broke quite in the beginning but was of course replaced by warranty, otherwise has been running very fast and reliably all this time.

Now getting more space with these 4xWD Red 3TB drives...ordered already.

Just hoping that RocketRAID 2310 accepts these nicely;-)

I'm going to swap drives one by one and rebuilding the RAID5 between every drive change and then finally have the RAID5 to expand from 3TB to 9TB.

So it will be few days (and nights) job for HTPC on the summer holiday.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro  /t/1419611/wd-red-drives#post_22209042

WD is advertising them as being reliable drives, basically admitting that the green drives were flaky.

That is like saying a Ford Focus is unreliable because Ford built the Super Duty Pickup to be a reliable work vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts