AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have the "green screen of death" on my wd tv. I am not able to play ANY mkv file longer then few minutes.

Contacted WD support and got advices like try a different tv, different hdmi cable...

I tried all of that and it is not helping at all. neither did I get any help from WD after telling them.

The problem started after a long period after installing the previous prerealease firmw., I think .08. So, I tried .10 and still no help.

For a long time I am surfing the net and looking for people that have same problem to see if the have solved it.

I found this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16796699 thread where is certain "rca33" person, trying to solve it but at once he disapperas with no end result.

Is there anyone on this forum having this problem, and maybe any solution?

I am not able to watch mkv files on my plasma. That is the main reason I bought this device.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cant help solve it I have just started getting the same problem.

I have A WD passport drive and all files play perfectly. I then ran out of space and transferred files to a Larger 1tb my book and the problems have started.

The green screen on mine must be caused because files have become corrupt on transfer between hard drives.

Have rechecked films on both drives and only 1 drive has this problem

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks martyn7772!

You helped me solve my problem. Here is how.

Well as of the first day since I got the wd tv, I am using it with WD Passport 320GB connected to it, and one day (after approx 5 months) it stopped playing mkv files.

After your post I tried to play mkv from a different usb device. I connected a 4GB usb stick and it worked. I played a complete 90min movie without a glitch.

So, I formatted the wd passport (not quick format) put the files, that didn't work back on it and everything works!

·
Registered
793 Posts
i'm starting to wonder whether sync troubles or occasional FFWD effect or sudden stuttering have to do with the USB device or USB per se...they did something to the USB part in 1.02.10 FW...might investigate when I find the time and the will...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
turns out it is not solved, i just didn't have time to post. so, short after the first try and i thought it was ok, i tried the same file, but it turned green again.

i will try to install an older firmware

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After all the worry, and tryouts I found the cause of the problem. It is my WD passport. All mkv files played from it turn into green screen after few minutes, and every other source I tried with the same mkv files, play totally correct. Tried to format it, in every way, quick, slow, even with other software tools I found on the net, but no help. Looks like I will be buying a Trancsend "passport"

·
Banned
27 Posts
I've had the same "green screen of death" problem and posted about it in the WDTV thread a long time ago. Basically, I've found it's the hard drive causing the problem. The thing is, I've run a battery of tests on the drive and there's nothing wrong with it.

How do I know it's the hard drive? I have two identical Fantom 1TB External hard drives (I believe it has Hitachi drives inside). One of them plays everything perfectly (mostly 1080p MKV files). The other started giving me the green screen shortly after purchasing it. I've tested the same files on multiple drives, swapped cables, defragged, reformatted, ran a million tests to determine the integrity of the drive...the WDTV just won't play nice with that one particular drive. The funny thing is, the two Fantom drives I have are identical, purchased within two months of each other.

Needless to say, the problem has left me pretty bummed as I have 1TB full of movies that are practically unwatchable on the WDTV. I have no solution to the problem other than get a new HDD. I don't think I'll return the drive since, from what I can tell, there's nothing actually wrong with it. Plus, I've had it for almost a year now. I'll probably transfer all of those movies to another drive and use it for something else. Although, I'm ditching the WDTV pretty soon and plan on building a media server and HTPC.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Just curious, of those who are reporting these problems , do you always eject your drives first before turning off the WDTVLive , or leave them connected & just shut down the WDTV?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADEN305 /forum/post/17508838

I always eject the drives. Have been since the day I got it. To clarify, I have the original WDTV, not Live.

oops, sorry, meant the WDTV. There have been several ppl who had similar issues back in the original WDTV thread, & never ejected the drives from their units. So somehow some data got corrupted. Thought that might be the case here.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts