AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody: We had a nasty lightning strike that hit our telephone pole. It appears to have taken out 2 network cards and the ethernet port on my WD TV Live. I don't think lightning is covered under warranty. Would it be worth paying for them to fix it? Should I but a new one? I'm pretty good at electronic repairs and am wondering if something simple can be soldered/replaced inside. I'm not sure what to do! Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbernstein
Thanks for the replies. Since this thing is relatively new I think I'll hold on to it and use a USB ethernet adapter....at least the USB port didn't get fried. I HATE LIGHTNING!
Same thing happened to me on Sunday evening July31--bad lightning storm, and I lost a Vonage router which vonage replaced free, a very nice Asus 520GU router, and "maybe" both of my WDTV ethernet ports. How do you know the ethernet ports are really fried, besides the fact they don't work??

Until I saw your post I kept thinking my WDTV lives were ok and maybe it was just faulty router settings, since it may be a coincidence that they both couldn't connect. So maybe they were both fried. They both connect wirelessly to the new router I purchased, but not via ethernet. So I think I'll try your idea with USB ethernet adaptors. Where can you find a pair of "cheap" USB ethernet adaptors that are known to work with the WDTV?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm pretty sure your home owners insurance should cover it - if there is no deductable because obviously the deductable costs more than two nics and wdtv... if not, just call WD and tell them it stopped working (don't mention lightning) and maybe they will swap it out for you...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.