AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, really hope you guys can help me out on this one!

I just got myself this WD TV HD media player. Read through the pages of this thread and found some answers. Tried them to no avail. Here goes..

Plugged in my 80gb seagate external HDD to the WD TV player. A "Unrecognised USB device" appears on my tv. Wait for several minutes but problem persists with "no storage". However when i plug in my 1gb thumbdrive, it scans the files and all works well. So, I did a system reset by manually pressing the reset button. To no avail. Did a system reset by software (under settings), to no avail. Thought it might be firmware issues, so I updated it's firmware using my thumbdrive. Firmware updated successful. However, the problem still persists.

Plugged my HDD to my computer and found out it does not have the wd.tv folder. So I thought maybe it failed in creating this folder, so i copied the one from my thumbdrive over to my hdd. To no avail. So i deleted the folder in my hdd.

Till now, the problem still persists. Both USB ports are working fine with my thumbdrive, just not with my HDD.

Please guys, if anyone can gimme a hand or some advise. Thanks so much guys in advance.

Regards,

Samuel

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok a couple of thoughts is the usb drive being powered by the WD TV HD media player? My passport drive also sometimes has issues syncing the data so I contacted wd about it and there sending me a Y booster cable hopely its helps.

Right nowthe best option that works most of the time for me is to switch the menu view after pluging in drive when its displaying its searching for device display.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the seagate is in NTFS format. I'll try using a shorter cable soon. What do you mean by "switch the menu view"?

·
Registered
201 Posts
please provide more info about the disk, anything you can think off.

e.g.

- what computer OS you use with the disk (windows xp? 98? mac?)

- was it formatted to NTFS, or was it converted to NTFS?

- If formatted to NTFS, which OS did you use for the format?

- how much disk space used / free?

- exact model (maybe link to amazon page)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does it have a connector for external power supply and if so did you use it, because sometimes an USB port can not provide enough power to the harddisk to let it spin-up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a iomega and I can't get it to work either I have done the usual resets unplugs FW upgrade you name it.

Here is my model: iomega

I am probably just going to go get a WD 1.5 or 2tb drive if I can't get this one to work.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry279 /forum/post/15569034

I have a iomega and I can't get it to work either I have done the usual resets unplugs FW upgrade you name it.

- what computer OS you use with the disk (windows xp? 98? mac?)

- was it formatted to NTFS, or was it converted to NTFS?

- which OS did you use for the format?

- how much disk space used / free?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use Mac OS X, BUT I have ntfs file conversion so in otherwords I can mess with NTFS through mac and transfer my files to my pc with ease. So NTFS is the answer to that question.

I have about 345gb left on my 1tb

I formatted it with MAC but used NTFS. Works fine on my media center pc with XBMC and such.

I am at work right now so I haven't tried all the suggestions about removing a folder it puts on there and turning some option off. Anyhow let me know what you think sorry for the late response.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the external drive is too full for the WD TV, you will get Unrecognized USB device message also.

I am using the updated firmware. I had WD 660 external usb that I transferred my hp pvr 1212 ts mpeg4 video files to. The WD 660 would playback fine on my computer. By the way, at this point there was no wd.tv folder and the drive itself had quite abit of free space. When I deleted some files it then worked on the WD TV as well. Not sure what the percentage of free space you need before it can catalog and create the wd.tv folder.

It would be better if they could display a too full error for cataloging message in this situation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I narrowed it down to the WD folder being the problem when I get home from work I will test this. Once confirmed I'll let everyone know how it went. We should start a troubleshooting page.... Honestly I would have never thought of this without people on this forum letting me know about it. I am more into (most people are) stuff that just works perfect right off the bat, but it's never usually the case with most computer stuff. Hopefully this does the trick. I get frustrated real easy...

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry279 /forum/post/15569629

right, but we are talking close to 350gb free out of a TB that doesn't seem right.

You are right. But with 350gb free that does not appear to be your problem.

Sorry for the confusion, I was looking at all the posts in this thread and thought my situation might be similiar to some of their situations. I should have been more specific.

·
Registered
21 Posts
do you have any power saving functions installed on it? turn them off on your pc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When you unplug your drive from the pc do you use eject drive or just pull the plug?

I got the same massage and the cause was i just pulled the usb plug instead of using eject drive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts