AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There it was on the nightly news tonight! Everyone that was watching in the Detroit area now knows it's being covered in High Definition. I missed part of what was said as I had just walked in the room, but the live image was being shown on a 16:9 box with "HDTV" prominently displayed in large letters. Way to go!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice job so far! Typical gray day, but the colors are still very vibrant. They have made nice use of an inset and the "available in HDTV" has come up each time they come back from break. The audio is stereo (which is fine by me), but there are occations (like when the CMU drum core is featured) where that part of the audio is only on the left channel. I'd also like to thank them for taming their bug. It's just barely visible. The "Live" bug is a bit strong though.

Nice job WDIV!

·
Registered
795 Posts
One more vote of thanks to WDIV for the effort. Making the effort to get the street level hand held HD cameras so the full coverage is HD was great. Resolution is one thing, but color fidelity is what makes the parade. Can you imagine the Rose Parade in HD?

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
According to HDTVtoMPEG v1.10, the WDIV parade is running at 18Mbps, higher than usual for NBC dramas via WDIV.

Curiously, HDTVtoMPEG also reports the resolution at 1920x1088i, not 1080i, as most 1080i programs report!

The HD fades, wipes, transitions and info overlays (describing each float, act, etc) are executed flawlessly.

Even with the high bit rate (which only WWJ CBS beats at 19Mbps), the Pom Pon girl routine exhiited obvious MPEG compression artifacts (blocking) due to the high concentration of motion with the waving pom pons. I've noticed this in the PBS demo loop, during crowd shots of the Alabama football game.

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
It should be noted that SE Michigan has been a leader in broadcasting since the first AM radio broadcasts, with "clear channel" legends like WJR, the "The Great Voice of the Great Lakes".

Looks like SE Michigan is living up to its broadcasting technical leadership ;)...

This parade is a shining example of how to do a live HD event justice.

It really *is* better than being downtown in the 20-something degree temps. On my PLV60, watching and recording via a myHD card, I cannot discern a loss of detail vs being there (or conversely, I feel no need for and probably could not perceive any additional resolution, spatial or color).

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rgb

According to HDTVtoMPEG v1.10, the WDIV parade is running at 18Mbps, higher than usual for NBC dramas via WDIV.
They shut down the weather subchannel. Not sure if that's the whole difference, but I wish they would do that for Leno.

Quote:
The HD fades, wipes, transitions and info overlays (describing each float, act, etc) are executed flawlessly.
I'm pretty sure that on one of them they took the audio associated with the float and, as the overlay wipe went left-to-right, so too did its audio. Nice attention to detail, especially for a first production. There have been some audio glitches, but overall this has been a great presentation.

Quote:
Even with the high bit rate (which only WWJ CBS beats at 19Mbps), the Pom Pon girl routine exhiited obvious MPEG compression artifacts (blocking) due to the high concentration of motion with the waving pom pons. I've noticed this in the PBS demo loop, during crowd shots of the Alabama football game.
I saw the same thing on the Pom pon girls. I'm never really sure if these problems are MPEG related or related to my transmitter proximity (or lack thereof) and the pushing of the FEC threshold.

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Santa's arrival was marred by audio technical problems and feedback (related to the wireless mikes they were using, not the HD equipment IMHO), but an amazing first effort by WDIV overall.

Even the end titles are rolling over live HD feeds.

WDIV/ the Parade Company might be able to make some money if they put this one on DVHS and sell it.

Great demo material.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This HD parade was outstanding. I've never really watched the parade before but when I heard it was going to be in HD I was up bright and early.

Great job WDIV and thank you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rgb

...And Carmen Harlen in HD. WooHoo!
Must be the generation gap or something but I say:

...Shon Gables in HD. WooHoo! ;)

She's the reason why I watch channel 4 every morning.

Rick

·
Registered
429 Posts
Great job WDIV. Hope you have reserved the production truck for next years parade. This broadcast made the New York parade look like an amateur production. (IMHO)

We watched the parade live on the plasma while MyHD recorded it for replay on the Sharp 9000 when the rest of the family arrives.

Last years Sharp demo prompted my brother to buy one and the brother-in-law bought a plasma. "Show it and they will invest"

Off to watch the Lions in mediocre broadcast quality.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I wuld LOVE snapshots of this event. Anyone with a HD capture card on their computer, please submit snapshots to me at [email protected] .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:
I wuld LOVE snapshots of this event. Anyone with a HD capture card on their computer, please submit snapshots to me at [email protected] .
Feldon23;

Go to their website, www.clickondetroit.com, they have posted pics.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While I'm glad that they posted pictures, it appears that 200x150 is the extent of it.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rgb

is this a situation where 720P would be better than 1080i? Or does it not have anything to do with progressive vs interlaced?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I believe that 720P consumes more bandwidth than 1080i.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
720p requires less bandwidth than 1080i. Both have about the same number of pixels per second, but a progressive picture has greater temporal and spatial correlation, and thus compresses better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all. I was on the remote crew for the parade for WDIV. I don't speak for WDIV, but while I normally only read posts, I have to say thanks for all of the nice remarks. Everyone worked VERY hard at this truly ground-breaking telecast. WDIV does try to do the latest innovative things. Sometimes that means you fall a little, but we all tried hard to make the telecast an event to be proud of. Once again, I think WDIV did have a lot to be proud of. For all of my years in the business, the video shown was the clearest, cleanest video I've ever seen. From the production truck, it was like looking through a window. I was able to read road signs in the far distance on our wide cameras like never before. Thanks again for the kind words, and glad you all were able to stay in and enjoy the parade while some of us froze our fingers :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.