AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But iuVCR doesn't keep the audio and video at the correct frame rate. You have to set a Master stream, which screws it up for later MPEG encoding (unless Ivan changed something recently).

Robert

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, I tried this program Virtual VCR and it does work. In fact it works quite well. I captured full frame 720x480 with huffyuv compression, and got very good result for 35 miniutes segment (perfect frame rate, perfect avsync). Although I have to turn off preview in order to keep AVSync with my lowly Celeron 1.1G and SBLive. If you have faster machine you may be able to capture with preview on. Play with the 'feed back gain' under AVSync menu, and watch the sync status on the status dialog box. The sync status should slowly bounce back and ford between 1.000xxx and 0.999xxx then you should get your av in sync.

I am making MPEG2 for XSVCD so exact framerate + AV sync is very important. IUVCR alter framerate to keep AV sync would not work for my need.

Best regards, Hien.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Robert,

Are you the same person that I communicated at rec.video.desktop? Hmm, looks like we are in the same quest :)

Hien.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've been on a quest for an application that will keep A/V in sync w/WDM drivers under Win2k for quite a while now. I though iuVCR was it but in the end it was too inconsistent in its results to be usable (for me). I've tried a couple of tests with VirtualVCR - one 1 hour and one 2 hours - and both worked beautifully. Perfect synchronization! I was impressed. And with the new ability to specify a profile (a simple text file) on the command line I can programmatically generate profiles and get started on that EPG I've been meaning to write.

All it needs now is to make itself completely invisible when it's started with the "-capture" switch and it 's the perfect unobtrusive capture application.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If anyone's keeping track, there's a new release of VirtualVCR on the DigTV website . Among other things, the AV sync feature has been revamped. From the site: "...it should be more precise now and not allow drastic resample values anymore, give it a try if you have problem with AV sync in long captures and see how it goes. Any feedback people can give me on this will help out."

Also, a feature has been added to optionally shut down the application after a timed capture. This will avoid depending on Windows' Task Scheduler to stop the app by brute force, allowing easier programmatic control over the application. Captures can be scheduled by, say, a Windows Cron utility, depending on VirtualVCR to shut itself down after a capture. This feature was added by an AVS member! ;)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I know that Michael over at ShowShifter has been working on this as well. It was part of his new capturing directly to AVI module in the beta that is available.

The beta had a lot of problems at first (this is a tough nut to crack), but after 5 tries, recent reports are it is working well now. He does chop the AVI capture files at 2GB and suspect the file size has something to do with it. Not too bad, since the files are easily spliced in VDub without dropping a frame.

I wouldn't know anything about it, or whether it works or doesn't work, since I have never had a lip synching problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.