AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Best Buy today and 1st Gen WDTV media players were on clearance. What is the difference between the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen players? On the box, they claim DTS support for 2nd Gen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No DTS decode on Gen1. You will have to convert to AC3 if the only audio track is DTS.

No ethernet port on Gen1. With Gen2 you can network and play shares off your computers, you can stream YouTube and Pandora, and it downloads the firmware on it's own.

Those are the big two.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKrueg /forum/post/18308594

No DTS decode on Gen1. You will have to convert to AC3 if the only audio track is DTS.

No ethernet port on Gen1. With Gen2 you can network and play shares off your computers, you can stream YouTube and Pandora, and it downloads the firmware on it's own.

Those are the big two.

You're thinking of WDTV Live

Hes talking about WDTV1 gen1 and WDTV1 gen2. Different SKU's. WDTV Live is a different product.

What sinker442 said is correct. What CKrueg said is incorrect.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 /forum/post/18308936

V2 + faster chip, more memory, dts downmix to stereo, active firmware support...

No I'm alittle confused. I have a gen 1 WD HD TV player that I am having problems with the DTS audio on Blue Ray rips.

Will the Gen 2 player do the DTS downmix to stereo automatically?

Will the WD live player do the DTS downmix to stereo automatically?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toorad4u /forum/post/18313848

No I'm alittle confused. I have a gen 1 WD HD TV player that I am having problems with the DTS audio on Blue Ray rips.

Will the Gen 2 player do the DTS downmix to stereo automatically?

Will the WD live player do the DTS downmix to stereo automatically?

Thanks,

Jim

Both Live and Gen2 do DTS downmix to stereo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I will probabally just buy a newer unit then rather than trying to mess around converting the audio on my blue ray rips.

Jim

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took a look at my WDTV player that I have had for about 12 months. It is the first gen player and has played DTS just fine through our receiver via optical since the get go. I'm thinking the DTS dealeo must have something to do with audio out through the composite stereo outputs and/or HDMI.

I'm using optical out with a DTS capable receiver and all is fine.

I'm going to pick up a couple of the clearance first gen WDTV players at BestBuy and distribute to family and friends. Love this thing. Would be nice to see how much faster the 2nd gen is though.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I own both generations. Surprisingly Gen 1 is more stable. Also if you're using hdmi to dvi connections, stick to gen 1 as well. The support from WD has disappeared sadly, nonetheless still a great product.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what is the latest firmware release for Gen1?

UPDATE: WDTV Website says 1.03

I've been kicking around an upgrade to Gen2 for speed. 10% Reward Zone Coupon gets me Gen2 for $89.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts