AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have an old WDTV, 1st gen, and lately, it won't play mkv files (movies). I assume it just can't keep up and should get a new streamer? Any recommendations for a basic streaming device for 1080p with possibly HD audio (DTS-MA or DD TruHD) of files held on PC? I don't need anything for Netflix or internet capable, etc... just stream files from computer...Thanks.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which program, and how to do it? Should only be a couple of clicks by the sound of it. If you could just point me in the right direction, I am sure I can figure out in a few minutes...thanks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey caper...this is a known issue, GEN 1 has been around since 08\09 or later....had to get rid of mine because of it....plus it was a great excuse to the wife to get a newer media player LOL! Anyway, I'd check out the WDTV forums for a possible fix...

·
Premium Member
613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1  /t/1421943/wdtv-gen-1-wont-play-mkv-anymore#post_22254924

Which program, and how to do it? Should only be a couple of clicks by the sound of it. If you could just point me in the right direction, I am sure I can figure out in a few minutes...thanks.

Here's a tutorial written for a different brand:

http://content.miccastore.com/node/189

But it includes information on the software tools and the steps to take.

The process is quick and fast.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i ran it through toolnix and it still didnt work, and then i rad something about deleting the wvtv folder on the usb stick, and that worked, but now I am not sure if I had to remux it to start, so I will test the original. Thanks for your help either way since I will need this info regardless !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heyy Guys, I have got WDTV Gen1, bought them back'n the day, and have no problems with .mkv videos playing

on my LCD TV w/ 1080p resolution. I have managed, using nxtool (MKVExtractGUI2, mkvmerge GUIetc) so far able

to host +500 movies on my 2TB HDD. Suggest you read up on your settings in MKVExtractGUI2 and mkvmerge GUI

prior to muxing.

Anyway, can someone suggest a high performance HDMI Cable for my 2nd WDTVGen 1 box. I 'm currently using

a 6' ft 1.3c Cat. 2 type HDMI Cable want some to suggest some popular Manufacturing/ Vendor brands for me.

Please feel free to e-mail me, as i hit this forum in search of WDTV Gen 1 HDMI Cable compatibility discussions.

E-Mail: [email protected]

Thank-You !!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are super thin "active" HDMI cables available now, which can benefit smaller devices. I have one already. they are a little more than regular cables at MP, but might be worth it to you for your application. I bought one for taking on the road with my laptop (to be used as a player) to hook up to hotel room TVs. one thing to note is that they are directional.

·
Registered
5 Posts

* A Shout-out !!!

Wanted to get back to you guys and let you know that I did in fact

research and purchased the (thin/ directional) HDMI cables from

Monoprice. And am totally pleased with its performance interface

on my WDTV Gen1 + LCD Tv . Provides seemingly faster video

loading thru 2 TB External HDD, no hdd hangup and crisper video

resolution & Audio.

Best regards !

Gemini02