AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a WDTV last night and it works great, but I would prefer to stream video instead of carting my HD drive to my TV when I want to watch backed up movies.

Can someone tell me how the PS3 handles video compared to the WDTV?

Thanks!

C

·
Registered
696 Posts
I prefer to stream from NAS myself and I have PS3 and it is fairly limited on the file types it will play/stream. It plays VOB files but there is a significant pause when switching. I did not try combining all the VOB files into 1 though as I am just getting into this part of the hobby myself, so take it for what it is worth. I have been unsuccessful in getting the PS3 to stream .mp4/.m4v files but I'm sure it is because I am a newb.

I have been experimenting with rippers, converters, memory sticks, NAS and trying to figure out the best way to go.

I purchased the WD HD this weekend and it plays the VOB files seemlessly and also plays ISO files where the PS3 will not. This would be perfect if it streamed from a NAS/HMS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS /forum/post/15464876

I prefer to stream from NAS myself and I have PS3 and it is fairly limited on the file types it will play/stream. It plays VOB files but there is a significant pause when switching. I did not try combining all the VOB files into 1 though as I am just getting into this part of the hobby myself, so take it for what it is worth. I have been unsuccessful in getting the PS3 to stream .mp4/.m4v files but I'm sure it is because I am a newb.

I have been experimenting with rippers, converters, memory sticks, NAS and trying to figure out the best way to go.

I purchased the WD HD this weekend and it plays the VOB files seemlessly and also plays ISO files where the PS3 will not. This would be perfect if it streamed from a NAS/HMS.

Yes I agree if the WDTV streamed it would be awesome.

I'm new to these file formats, can you tell me what is NAS and HMS?

Does the PS3 play .avi files?

·
Registered
696 Posts
NAS-Network Access Storage, HMS-Home Media Server.

I am not sure if the PS3 plays .avi files. Anyone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
my PS3 plays .avi files. I have an issue when trying to stream, but it is a weak signal issue. If I copy to the PS3 from the home box, it plays fine.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creesed /forum/post/15464712

I just bought a WDTV last night and it works great, but I would prefer to stream video instead of carting my HD drive to my TV when I want to watch backed up movies.

Then buy a Popcorn Hour or another NMT.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
get a popcorn hour....

i was debating between a ps3 and wdtv for awhile as well... but now i got the popcorn hour and its by far the best thing out there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the PS3 streaming works great, if you have a few things in place:

-wired network. I have a 100mbps network, simple netgear router, and I can stream 1080p video no problem @~10Mbps. Streaming with TVersity.

-File format: most HD videos you download are in .mkv containers. The ps3 wont read these. However, it can play them if they are encoded in h264 profile 4.1 or lower. There is a great little program called "mkv2vob" that just changes the container, usually no re-encoding neccesary.

Alternatively, for DVD backups, I have all files encoded as a single .mpg file. This works great. It plays vob files, but the seeking doesnt work that well.

For Blu-ray/HDDVD backups I have had great luck encoding to .m2ts files. This is now my standard format since the PS3 plays nice with them.

Audio wise, when streaming the ps3 will NOT play DTS or any hi-res audio format. Dolby digital works. However, it will play lpcm over the network. You can use eac3to to convert HD audio to lpcm, mux that in, and then stream, but you may run into some bandwidth issues.

Hope that helps. If you have alot of files you need to organize them appropriately, but I think the PS3 is a great machine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
TVersity will also trancode on-the-fly so you can serve your entire media library to your PS3. I'm still on the fence as to what to buy. A PS3 would seem to serve many more purposes over a standalone NMT like the Popcorn Hour (Blueray, games). But it also seems to be limiting on the front end where the Popcorn now has customized front ends, if you're technically inclined and willing to install internal storage in it. I'm assuming the Popcorn would also be quieter and actually support higher resolution output than trancoded media to the PS3 would.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am looking to stream dvd .vob files to the ps3 or xbox 360...that will play the .vob files in order.

Which program will best do this for me? windows media player 11, tversity, or PS3 media server?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS /forum/post/15465212

NAS-Network Access Storage, HMS-Home Media Server.

I am not sure if the PS3 plays .avi files. Anyone?

I have had good luck with most .avi files of tv shows I have downloaded.

Here is the ripping/encoding techniques I have had luck with:

DVD:

With AnyDVD running, I use DVDShrink. This program is great, but hasnt been updated for new copy protection. AnyDVD takes care of that. In the options, uncheck the box "Split into 1GB vob files." Now your output will contain only 1 big vob file with the entire movie. Open the disc, go to "re-author," select only the main title, select no compression, and only the dolby digital audio. Backup the disc.

From here you can just rename the file, however I like to convert it to an mpg for better PS3 compatibility. I use VideoReDo, open the vob, save as .mpg, quality is identical.

Blu-ray:

Harder, due to codecs. Basically, I rip w/ AnyDVD HD. The biggest .m2ts file is usually the main movie. I demux that using tsmuxer. ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134104 ).

Now, encoding wise I roughly follow this guide:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=136505

Basically, you open the video portion in megui, and use that to encode to x264. Profile selection is key, you want the "AVCHD" profile or something like that. Bitrate is the only variable youll mess with, for 1080p I tried avg of 10mbps and cant tell the difference from the source. You could probably go lower.

Save the output as an elementary stream (.264). This will take many hours.

Then, you need to deal with audio. Use eac3to.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to

For PS3 your options are AC3 or lpcm. Take your pick here, I find that AC3 usually works fine for my needs.

Finally, open TSmuxer and mux into the .m2ts file. On the top pane add your .264 video and your .ac3 or .pcm audio. Container is .m2ts. Hit go, and youre done.

Hope that helps. Same methods should work for any media streamer if you mess with the options.

·
Registered
696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitolm94 /forum/post/15491264

I have had good luck with most .avi files of tv shows I have downloaded.

Here is the ripping/encoding techniques I have had luck with:

DVD:

With AnyDVD running, I use DVDShrink. This program is great, but hasnt been updated for new copy protection. AnyDVD takes care of that. In the options, uncheck the box "Split into 1GB vob files." Now your output will contain only 1 big vob file with the entire movie. Open the disc, go to "re-author," select only the main title, select no compression, and only the dolby digital audio. Backup the disc.

From here you can just rename the file, however I like to convert it to an mpg for better PS3 compatibility. I use VideoReDo, open the vob, save as .mpg, quality is identical.

Blu-ray:

Harder, due to codecs. Basically, I rip w/ AnyDVD HD. The biggest .m2ts file is usually the main movie. I demux that using tsmuxer. ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134104 ).

Now, encoding wise I roughly follow this guide:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=136505

Basically, you open the video portion in megui, and use that to encode to x264. Profile selection is key, you want the "AVCHD" profile or something like that. Bitrate is the only variable youll mess with, for 1080p I tried avg of 10mbps and cant tell the difference from the source. You could probably go lower.

Save the output as an elementary stream (.264). This will take many hours.

Then, you need to deal with audio. Use eac3to.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to

For PS3 your options are AC3 or lpcm. Take your pick here, I find that AC3 usually works fine for my needs.

Finally, open TSmuxer and mux into the .m2ts file. On the top pane add your .264 video and your .ac3 or .pcm audio. Container is .m2ts. Hit go, and youre done.

Hope that helps. Same methods should work for any media streamer if you mess with the options.

Thanks for posting this info. Very helpful for someone just getting started!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts