AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "DTV to sue indiv. hackers" has grown to gangerous depth. For a broadcast/entertainment exec or a clueless

newpaper reporter who stumbles accross our humble forum,

this is all they need to convince themselves and Senate,

that we are nothing more than a bunch of thieves ready to steal MPAA's most valuable posessions in digital qualitily and bankrupt Hollywood, along with few mils of Americans who make living out of it.

Allow me to state that all of us here, who spent thousands of dollars on HDTV setups, have no difficulties paying for our Dish/TV subscriptions and would be glad to pay even more should more HDTV programming become available!

·
Super Moderator
21,529 Posts
excellent point- we should concern ourselves with DVI/HDCP and other technical issues and not the hackers

·
Registered
24 Posts
True we are not Hackers, but imagine this scenario. I want to buy HiDef CBS from DTV because my local CBS Affiliate doesn't offer it. My local CBS affiliate won't give me a waiver. So what do I do? I buy a test card that gives me CBS and everything for free.

I am not recommending doing this and I don't have DTV and I can receive HD CBS if I had a receiver. But this is the type of scenario that makes criminals out of honest people.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just because we are talking about this topic on the other thread, doesn't mean that we are the hackers. I have been involved in discussion about numerous HDTVs but that doesn't mean that I own them all.

Anyone who took the time to read that thread would see that we are only discussing this, and I don't see any problem.

James

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks James for writing that post. Hardly think one post is going to make everyone think that we are all a bunch of hackers and that is what the site is about. Just cause some may not be interested in the post does not mean we have to knock it!

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well said Rashid and Mark in the two opening posts for this thread! I too have no problem paying for the level of service I elect to view and it's good to see there are others here who don't mind paying either.

The "free ride" mentality fortunately represents the minority, yet their growing numbers will only serve to bring even more heat and consequently more stringent encryption schemes and anti-copying devices. I can understand fully why the Administrator shut down the last thread. Waving!

------------------

Cobra

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I agree. We need to constantly reinforce the distinction between things like test cards and ripping CDs, which is stealing, and fair use (REAL fair use, just for yourself) which is protecting your constitutional rights.

The ethical (and safer and cheaper) solution for people who can't get a waiver for CBS HD is to get creative with your address. Then you aren't stealing from anyone, you're just thumbing your nose at some [explative] station owner who thinks he owns you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Rashid11 said "Allow me to state that all of us here, who spent thousands of dollars on HDTV setups, have no difficulties paying for our Dish/TV subscriptions and would be glad to pay even more should more HDTV programming become available!"

Hey guys...not everyone has a job that pays in the six figures and buy lt150's from dell just for fun. I happen to go to college, bought my big screen from rent a center used for 800. I bought my speakers with college loan money. I saved up for my receiver for almost a year. So plz don't use the word all..I am not "all" and it offends me that you think that way. As for hackers and directv, that **** costs to much. Sorry guys...thats just the way I see it right now.

Matt

------------------

Stop Dfast DVI, and all that ****

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Jaholibop!

Nice to meet you, in defense of Rashid (not that he needs my defending him because I'm sure he will comment), I don't think he meant that all people who purchase HDTV equipment are rich or have six figure incomes. What I think he was saying was that all who did have thousands of dollars available for their equipment certainly should be in a position to pay for Direct TV. I would like to think that you might have simply misunderstood what he was saying. I know I certainly don't have a six figure income and I would venture to say the lion's share of participants in this forum certainly do not (well maybe those front projection guy's do...lol).

As for obtaining Direct TV, if one can't afford it right now then so be it. You either go with cable or OTA transmission until such a time as you can afford it. Anyone who rationalizes that it's ok to simply steal it because they can't afford it is wrong. Anyone who rationalizes that it's fair game to steal it simply because Direct TV didn't secure it good enough is just as much a thief. "Just because one's bank account is empty doesn't mean you have to be morally bankrupt either!".

Anyway, we're glad to see that despite your current limited income situation, you are finding a path to get what you can afford for right now. Peace to you . . . Waving!

PS I wouldn't announce too loudly that you spent your college loan money on speakers ... ya never know, your loan officer may be a forum member . . . LOL.

------------------

Cobra

[This message has been edited by Dark Cobra (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't announce too loudly that you spent your college loan money on speakers
I really cracked up when I read that. Seems he should have spent that money on an education and learned the definition of the word "fraud" LOL.

------------------

Don Landis

Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.