Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speak now or forever hold your peace

The State tax refund has arrived and SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) has given the green light to order the projector. Along with HT Crazy and a few others I've been on the fence (pass the tux) about the 711XU vs. the LC75U. I'm headache sensetive to DLP so that rules out a lot of other potentialy great alternatives. While I thought I could use the extra lumens of the 711, most reports state that the brightness diffrerence is very minor and PQ as good. Since the retailer has a 30 day upgrade policy and has good prices on both, I figure whiy not give the 75U a shot and upgrade to teh 711 if I think I need to. Sound like a plan?

If anyone has issues, concerns regrets or problems with their 75U I'd love to hear about them now.

Thanks all, -Noam (bonedog)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
This fence is getting lonelier all the time. But (sigh) congrats BoneDog - I think you've made a good choice. The little lady is not pretentious, lively, pretty (but not as ostentatious as those other "golddigger" types), reliable, low maintenance, and is ready to show it all every time you turn her on.

Man, I've really got to take a break from this forum...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
. . . The little lady. . . . reliable, low maintenance, and is ready to show it all every time you turn her on.
LOL HT, I was waiting for your congrats. Well I beat you to it. The tortise and the tortise, what a race. I'm hoping Chuck McDevitt who is in town and has the 711XU will be up for a side by side shootout after the lillte lady arrives and I look her over myself for a bit. You'll be out of excuses after that. Of course the longer you wait, the more you'll get for your $$$ and the process is at least addictive if not fun. The Epson 16:9 import for 38OO with international warranty had me a little tempted this week but I stayed the course w/ the Panny's. I figure at less than $2300. I won't feel too bad wanting to trade up to the latest / greatest 3 chip $3000 DLP in a few years and I'll be enjoying my HT all the while.

I'll let you know how it goes. -bd

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Bonedog,

Actually with other expensive additions to my HT system - new Pre/Pro, replacement of 2 B&W 804 Matrix tweeters (that the kids "played" with) -OUCH, my HT budget and wifes tolerance level is pretty well shot for now.

So at this point as for projectors, I'm in a state of involuntary voyeurdom.

At least I'll have a huge and beautiful sound to accompany trying to make out the tiny video images from my 32" Wega. :D

Who was that that said "You can get everything you want in life - you just can't have it all at the same time"?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah well, voyuerism works and it's cheap. Double ouch on the 804 tweeters. What the heck did they do to em? What pre-pro are you getting? I'm on the 950 wait list myself. I heard the rotel last week and was impressed with it's 2 channel music presentation. If the 950 wait goes on too long I might go that way. I guess we should swith forums if w take this too far. coem to think of it theres just us on this thread anyway.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Since those are the two procesors I am looking at I thought Id wade in, do you have any more info on the rotel as compared to the outlaw?

Congrats on your new panny (whichever one you end up with) Hope you can give us a review, surprisingly few of those arround.

kev

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevin,

Will def. give a review. There are some good reviews posted. Search for posts by Dave Bugg, Marty D, DiStress, Hackwebmiester or just search 75U. The projectorcentral.com site also has a brief review.

I havn't heard the Outlaw yet, just read the beta testers reviews. I spent maybe 10 min. with the Rotel so all I can give you is my first impression. Through the mid line B&W towers and the smaller bookshelf 800 series speaker, using rotel power, the sound was very clean with a decent soundstage given mediocer speaker/ room set up. Bass was also clean present and controlled. Movie material was good but I was a tad less impressed than I was with music. I'd have to give it more demo time to really know.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Actually my new Outlaw 950 is sitting in my office as we speak. Can't wait to take it home and give it a listen. If you're interested, I have a friend ahead of me in line that bought one for me, but my name came up on the list by the time all the delays were worked out.

If you're worried about the wait, PM me and he might be willing to sell his unit to you (that should have arrived today also).

All I can say so far is it looks good (which i wasn't expecting) and seems to be a heavy, beefy piece. I have heard that the Dacs in the 950 are supposed to be a step up from the Rotel, but its hard to believe everything you read about the 950 online.

Either way, I think you won't go wrong. I've always been a Rotel fan, and if I don't like the 950 after the trial (which I don't expect) that's what I'll get. BTW, Just got the bill for my speaker repair $900 - YOUCH. A buck more than the Outlaw!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the update, looking forward to hearing more about the panny and the outlaw!

kev

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HT, When did you get on the list? I only got on after the reviews started coming in. As it is I'd probably rather evaluate one piece of equipment at a time. Since the PJ is coming I wouldn't mind waiting a little while for the 950 though at the rate they've gotten them to market I'm a little afraid it'll be a few more months before get down the list. I'll chew on your offer overnight though. How long is the evaluation period anyway?

$900 for tweeter repairs? The 804s are very sweet and very pretty but jeez, what could the tweeter drivers cost? $200 the pair? Sounds a little like my Volvo dealer, $300 for the 3K mi. 'service' which is nothing more than your basic oil change and and fluid check. Chaulk it up to the hidden expense of owning a well established brand.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Actually it turns out that they're telling me everything but the midrange Kevlar drivers need replacing. I think its time for a 2nd opinion!!

Well after a full evening with the 950, I wasn't terribly impressed. The sound was what I would call "bright and analytical". Some (especially the British) like this sound, but it was as if all the warmth and ambience was just sucked out of the recording. It didn't have a terribly natural sound i thought.

But then again its just day one, and even with a processor, I'm sure there's some amount of break-in that needs to occur. So I'll keep it at least till the end of the 30 day trial.

That said, if you had some other warm tube-like components in your system to counterbalance, it could be just the ticket. I WAS impressed with all the modes and features they crammed into it. And usability was decent.

If the sound quality comes around, they'll have a real winner at that price. Even if not, I'm very picky about sound, and it still might be a step up from what people in that price range are used to.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What was your previous pre/proc? "bright and analytical" doesn't sound like my cup of tea either. I heard the Rotel after listening to a Cary tube set up through som pro- acs

and the rotel was more detailed an punchier with more bass. It was still 'round' and warm enough for my tastes though it was only a brief demo as I said. I've heard tube gear I've liked a lot but I can't afford the kind of tube power I need and I don't want the maintenance hassles. I still want to hear how the 804s got messed up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bonedog

I won't feel too bad wanting to trade up to the latest / greatest 3 chip $3000 DLP in a few years and I'll be enjoying my HT all the while.

I'll let you know how it goes. -bd
The cheapest 3-chip is about $30,000 today, no? 90% drop in a few years? Even PCs didn't see that...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can dream can't I?. Partypooper!

In five years we'll all have holographic virtual reality rooms won't we? Talk to my avatar. -bd

ps. If you can get 10% back of what you paid for your 3 year old PC you're actually doing better than most. 486, Pentium 1 or 2 anyone ?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
What was your previous pre/proc? "bright and analytical" doesn't sound like my cup of tea either.
Actually my previous was a Rotel pro-logic pre that added the warmth I guess my system needs. The 950 is definitely growing on me. But i'll need some interconnects, different amp, or something to add some richness to the sound.

As for the 804's, the guy says they were just played too loud and got fried. Maybe it happened when our kids crank it up for Star Wars, or maybe it explains my increasingly noticable hearing loss. Hehe.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What speakers are in the lineup while the B&W's are on injured reserve? I'd think you'd wan't to evaluate the 950 with the 804's in place. I don't know if your old Rotel was key in your sytem but I did think the new one sounded good with the B&W's I heard them with. I am sensetive to the potential for B&W's (and other metal domed tweeter spearers) have to sound overetched. It's def. worth your time to try a few things to get the synergy right. Re your power amp; Is it pos. that an underpowered amp played at high volume contributed to the melt down with excessive distortion? I would think the 804's could handle quite a bit of clean power /volume.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Actually I retrieved my 804's until they get the parts in. And the distortion problem happened about 1% of the time. I might defer maintenance after all. The B&W's can and do sound overetched with the 950 in place. With the warmer Rotel, the warmth was perfect, but I do need to step up from prologic 1. I'm also using a Rotel 985 for an amp which takes quite a bit of juice to distort, but who knows? Probably a combination of age (I bought the 804's 10 years ago used) and maybe even damage from the original owner. It's hard to tell.

So what about your 75U? Did you pull the trigger?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.