AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the whole DIY speakers, but I have a lot of experience making and putting together electronics. I basicly would like to make my entire set up. Would like it to be a 5.1 or 5.2 setup. For starters it would be a 5.1 set up.

Basically I would use this for Home Theater and video games. I am trying to find any info on making speakers I can. Does anyone have any links or stickys that can help me out to make a pretty good setup? But basically right now I have nothing. I can make the housing out of wood or metal if need be, but as for what type of tweeters and woofers I'm not sure. Thanks a lot and any help would be great!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
There are some nice designs here that have been well regarded:

us.geocities.com/cc00541 (sorry, I can't post links yet)

I'm planning on building the Statements and Statement center. The only problem with these is they employ an open back midrange, which requires some room behind to breathe, so on-wall placement is not possible (surrounds?). Other than that, I've read good things about these.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It would probably be best if you suggest a budget, size limitations etc. There are just so many options out there that it would be silly to suggest them all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, im not sure how much $$ im willing to spend yet, really I dont know too much about speakers, so I dont want to spent 300$ on a speaker and have it sound like poo. I really just need to read alot about how speakers work and what makes them good.

EDIT: Sorry I ment 300 on each speaker. I would like to keep this to about 100 per speaker, but I dont mind going Higher if there will be a big diffrence.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The easiest thing to build is a subwoofer. You do need to have some size calculations for your box or tube. You don't even need a crossover. For your actual HT speakers, there are lots of kits available as well as free designs. These are all good sites with very good designs and/or kits:
troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm (very high end stuff)

zaphaudio.com

clearwaveloudspeaker.googlepages.com I'll be building a 4CC from here in spring.

htguide.com was already mentioned. There are no kits here, but very good designs. It does take a lot of reading to get through the very long threads.

madisound.com Kits with or w/o pre-assembled xovers. Also you can get cabinets or build them. They also sell crossover parts and individual drivers.

partsexpress.com Kits, individual drivers and crossover parts

zalytron.com kits, drivers, crossover parts

selahaudio.com

gr-research.com/

murphyblaster.com Dennis Murphy is a crossover design guru. You'll see him everywhere. He has also designed xovers at htguide for the diy crowd and for Jim Salk's awesome speakers at salksound.com

northcreekmusic.com/

ellisaudio.com/

speakerbuilder.net designs are getting old and many of the drivers are no longer available, but there are some really good speaker building tips here.

diyaudio.com this is another forum

troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm Excellent section on crossover assembly
solen.ca/import/cross.htm Another good section on crossover assembly

Your cabinets should be constructed of 3/4" MDF. I and most others prefer to use a double layer of MDF (1.5") for the front baffle.

I've built twelve sets of speaker since 2002 and it gets addictive. I have way too many speakers around here.

BTW, I see you mentioned $300 in your last post. That will be the minimum you could build anything for IMO. Most of your better 5-7 speaker HT systems will cost at least $500 in parts. I built the Audax HT system in 2002 and I'm sure I spent more than $500. They are a great design, but Audax stopped selling some of the drivers to the diy community.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts