AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to ask our administrator for 2 forums, one for Direct View HDTV and one for the old 4:3 analog. This will stop the arguments, and I will ask that 4:3 be called analog, which is exactly the correct term for it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
hob, the only person on here complaining about 4:3 is you...if you would only stop aggravating people with threads like THIS, there wouldn't BE any arguments...

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will not respond to anyone until the my submission has been answered by our forums administrator.

There must be a HDTV and a 4:3 analog, to give people that are looking, to find out what is needed for the coming Digital age of wide screen HDTV. That they are not to be misled into thinking 4:3 is a HDTV.

Goodbye til then.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Holy Crusaders Batman.

You must have been put on this earth to lead the crusade for 16x9. I have not been a member here that long, yet I know more than I care to about you and your 16X9 crusade.

Im a little bored so I will explain why 4x3 made more sense to me.

The room I was buying the set for is not a big room. A 36" set was more than enough. That took out the bigger RP sets.

It came down to a 36" 4x3 or a 34" 16x9. There still is not a lot of HD programming in my area and until ESPN goes HD, I am only interested in OTA HD. I dont get HBO, Showtime, etc now because they show awful movies most of the time. Im not going to get HBO HD etc. to watch better looking bad movies.

I think it will be at least 4 years or more before HD is mainstream. About 90% of the material I view on this set will be 4x3 material. (Its 100% now until i get a tuner). If I had gone with the 34" I would basically be watching a much smaller set 90% of the time.

Now for the 10% I will watch HD programming, I will just live with the bars at the top and bottom. The 36" also still gives a pretty good size 16x9 image.

Just to make my decision easier, I was also able to get the 36" Sony $500.00 cheaper than the 34"

In 4-5 years, if HD programming is being broadcast most of the time I will simply buy a 16x9 set. In the meantime, I can have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I personally don't think we need to split this forum. It means its one place a newbie can go to help make an informed decision. I think there are many issues discussed that are relevant to both groups.

I find that Hob's posts walk the fine line between informative and annoying. Maybe we should give Hob his own soapbox forum just to keep the signal-to-noise ratio tolerable here.

·
Registered
421 Posts
if it were to be broken down into 2 forums, i'd assume that it should be analog vs hdtv (not 4:3 vs 16:9, there are both of both anyway). regardless, i'm not sure if there are enough threads to break it down into 2 forums.

besides, they sell both, they'll continue to sell both for years to come. Might as well talk about each in the same place for sake of comarrison.

When I get an HDTV I'll get 16:9. ...and if i wait much longer the question will be lcd/plasma or directview.

·
Registered
462 Posts
One Forum....I watch HD on my 40XBR800 and do not judge the set based on the tech specs alone. That's why I bought this model...to serve as a multi-purpose set which it does very well. One thread let's all prospective buyers see all of the input on CRT direct views, regardles of how someone defines the set.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Quote:
I am going to ask our administrator for 2 forums, one for Direct View HDTV and one for the old 4:3 analog. This will stop the arguments, and I will ask that 4:3 be called analog, which is exactly the correct term for it!
Hob,

4x3 HDTV's are every bit as HD as most 16x9 HDTV's.

In fact, if you want to get real technical, most members here can't truly call their TV HDTV. This includes your RCA, the Toshiba 34HDX82, the Sony 34XBR800, and any other TV 16x9 or 4x3 without a built in ATSC tuner. The only people thatcan truely say they have an HDTV are those with a built in HDTV tuner(such as the sony 34XBR2), the rest are just HDTV ready.

My goodness Hob, try to understand the concept of HDTV before you make assumtions that all 4x3 tv's are analog.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Sorry...No need for two sections for direct view sets. BTW...HDTV DitrectView sets come in both 16:9 and 4:3 screens. Seeing that MOST of the US does not even send out 16x9...4x3 will be here for some time to come.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
So you think the KV-36XBR800 is an analog set just because it is in 4:3 format? Not so; it is an HDTV-ready monitor.

BTW -- I agree with you re 16:9 vs. 4:3, but here you are letting your point of view distort technical reality.

Phil

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hbanzon
I personally don't think we need to split this forum. It means its one place a newbie can go to help make an informed decision. I think there are many issues discussed that are relevant to both groups.

I find that Hob's posts walk the fine line between informative and annoying. Maybe we should give Hob his own soapbox forum just to keep the signal-to-noise ratio tolerable here.
A hob forum vs an everyone else forum: Creative, but I doubt if the Forum Admin would go for that (either!).

Phil

·
Registered
741 Posts
Quote:
Jeff,

the RCA f38310 has a built in tuner.
Really??? Wow, I stand corrected. I didn't think any TV's had a built in tuner except the XBR2, and the some of the zenith sets. The RCA is $1500 now and would be an outstanding deal except the quality and reliability issues. Due to these issues, I didn't even bother researching this set. Which is why I knew nothing about it, I just assumed it was HD ready like all the rest. Besides the point, you can still view HDTV on 4x3 tv's with the same quality as a 16x9 set.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeff lam
Really??? Wow, I stand corrected. I didn't think any TV's had a built in tuner except the XBR2, and the some of the zenith sets. The RCA is $1500 now and would be an outstanding deal except the quality and reliability issues.
The Zenith C34W23 has a HDTV/ATSC tuner built in and it's under $2500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 16:9 was analog, so what's that mean?:p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.