Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryne...ve/5705642.htm

I am surprise the author didn't mention ReplayTV at all and seriously quoted a wrong statement:

"While TiVo is the first to add home entertainment networking to an existing product, other manufacturers are lining up to do the same thing."

If anybody want to send email to this guy, his email is [email protected] or (408) 920-5084

·
Registered
212 Posts
What a spaz. He links to the new GoVideo site but makes no mention of ReplayTV/SONIC|blue.

Sounds like another TiVo Drone in the making.

Forget about contacting him directly: contact his EDITOR and let them know this guy didn't bother to do his homework.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You might also take what he said literally, that Tivo was the first the add networking to an EXISTING product. Since ReplayTV 4X and higher had networking built in from the start, there would be no need to ADD it later.

·
Registered
23 Posts
when I saw this thread I immediately shot off a quick email to Mike to point out his mistake. I doubt I was the only one - I already got a response back. This is what he wrote:

Dear Readers,

Several of you pointed out a significant error in my column this morning on

TiVo's Home Media Option, which I called "the first example" of this type

of service.

ReplayTV indeed introduced many of the same features a year earlier. I know

this, because I wrote a review of the ReplayTV 4000 on January 31, 2002,

which described these networking features in detail.

Unfortunately, I didn't fully recall my earlier review in writing about the

Home Media Option.

The San Jose Mercury News will run a correction in Friday's edition, and

I'm going to put a further correction in my next column on May 1.

Thanks for helping me catch my mistake.

-- Mike Langberg, Personal Technology Editor

San Jose Mercury News

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
His admission makes it even worse....

"I didn't fully recall my earlier review in writing about the

Home Media Option. "

·
Registered
366 Posts
Not really a shock to me that a "journalist" from the SJ Mercury News messed up a story by not bothering to deal with facts. They've pretty much redefined yellow journalism* over the years. And the fact that he couldn't even remember that he was the one whoe reported on Replay for his paper a year before is astounding.

*Yellow journalism:
Quote:
The use of lurid features and sensationalized news in newspaper publishing to attract readers and increase circulation.
"Yellow Journalism." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2003. Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service.

24 Apr, 2003 .

·
Registered
478 Posts
woohoo! Footnotes and all! :D

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Hey before you all get too upset with this guy, and I sent an email too... this is published under the opinions section. I'm guessing that means he's just sharing an opinion on a subject he knows nothing about.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffwa
No. And the fact that he couldn't even remember that he was the one whoe reported on Replay for his paper a year before is astounding.
Give me a break will you. He writes hundreds of articles and you want him to remember something he wrote a year ago. I'm a procedure writer and I get the same dumb ass questions like "You wrote this a year ago. How come you don't remember what you wrote"? At least the person in question is correcting his mistake.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brianric
Give me a break will you. He writes hundreds of articles and you want him to remember something he wrote a year ago.
Um...YEAH.

HELLO, TECHNOLOGY AGE.

And this guy is the "Personal Technology Editor", so you'd think he'd have all his past articles on this thing called a "PC" that would let him "search" for anything he might have written.

Hell, a "Google" search would have pulled up more information.

And as far as correcting his mistake (so far so good ) thats great but the damage may already be done. How many people who read that article have already gone out or may go out and buy a TiVo because they think its their only option for those features?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TMOSteel
Um...YEAH. And as far as correcting his mistake (so far so good ) thats great but the damage may already be done. How many people who read that article have already gone out or may go out and buy a TiVo because they think its their only option for those features?
Anyone who is contemplating a DVR with networking capabilities either knows what is available or will do research, as they are far and above knowledge wise than the average consumer on these matters. You sound like a Philly lawyer. I think more people will buy a Tivo over a RTV because of SonicBlue bankruptcy, not because of some article that had erroneous information. I own a 4504 and Tivo series 2, and will not recommend a RTV at this time. Personally, I think the Tivo is a better machine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brianric
Anyone who is contemplating a DVR with networking capabilities either knows what is available or will do research, as they are far and above knowledge wise than the average consumer on these matters.

>>> And yet you bought a TiVo???

You sound like a Philly lawyer. I think more people will buy a Tivo over a RTV because of SonicBlue bankruptcy, not because of some article that had erroneous information.

>>> Its all about "education" and "information". If the only press on Replay is the "bankruptcy", while there is only "praise" for TiVo, what conclusions do you expect people to come to?

I own a 4504 and Tivo series 2, and will not recommend a RTV at this time. Personally, I think the Tivo is a better machine.

>>> And I used to think AOL was the only way to get on the Internet. Then I learned better and switched to an ISP. To me, TiVo is the "AOL" of PVR's. It has a lot of "bells and whistles" which gets peoples attention, but when the "thrill" wears off what are you left with?

I know what I like and what I want to watch and don't need someone making suggestions or that decision for me. So I'll stick with my Replay.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TMOSteel
I know what I like and what I want to watch and don't need someone making suggestions or that decision for me. So I'll stick with my Replay.
Yeah, until you get a conflict, then you don't know what the hell you are going to get with Replay. At least with Tivo I can prioritize my shows in the event of conflicts. Right now with Tivo I can remotely program it via the Internet and within one hour it is programmed, and I can get a confirmation e-mail from where I'm at. And you are showing your ignorance of Tivo. I have suggestions turned off.

Quote:
Its all about "education" and "information". If the only press on Replay is the "bankruptcy", while there is only "praise" for TiVo, what conclusions do you expect people to come to?
Gee, you mean to tell me SonicBlue is not bankrupt. :confused: Now you are saying the press cannot praise a product if it is Tivo. Today's article in AnchorDesk is in trouble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.