AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even at under $3500, I maintain that having and using a front projector is an expensive luxury. To that end I would like to present my per hour cost of owning and using my AE-100. I bought this projector from a fine fellow on eBay back in Feb 2002 for just a little over $1500 (I can't remember the exact cost of shipping and insurance) with 72 hours of useage already on the clock. Today it has 4478 hours of useage and its still on its original bulb... however I did have to replace the blue polarizer back in December 2003 for a total cost of $110.

So now let's amortize this....

4478 - 72 = 4406 hours of my personal use

$1500 + $110 = $1610 my total cost

$1610 / 4406 hours = $.37 per hour

average use per day 5.27 hours X $.37 per hour = $1.95 per day

Noticed, I've not included the cost of electricity nor the price of the screen (~$250 BTW)

I have a 25" TV that I just retired that I estimate cost me about $.0075 per hour of operation (again that's sans the electricity to operate)... quite the difference wouldn't you say?

So does anyone here have a lower operating cost per hour? I'd be curious to see what others have calculated...

I'll venture to say the cost per hour is well over a dollar for most here (in the

· Registered
1,144 Posts
Your numbers my dear friend are skewed since you provided no good comparison to it.

My question is do you buy new clothes or used clothes? Do you buy a new car or a used car? In comparison if you buy anything new you can call it a luxury.

At home do you drink brand-name soda or generic? Do you buy brand-named ice-cream or generic?

For your vehicle do you go to shop for a oil change or do you do it yourself. Do you own a SUV or a high-efficiency compact? Did you have kids/wife or stay single? By your train of thought a child would be the ultimate expensive luxury.

Do you cut your lawn with a manual push mower or do you have a gas powered one? Do you go to the library to read books instead of watching TV? Do you walk/bike to the store instead of driving? Do you own a pet?

Calling something a luxury and comparing it to only one thing isn't a fair thing to do. Did you factor in how much money you saved by be able to get the big screen view at home instead of going out to the local theatre. Did you factor in the pleasure you received from the PJ. Really...which would you rather watch, the 25" or the 100" :D

Do you have cable? For most people that is at least a $1/day if not $2/day.

Just put it into perspective. Almost everything we have could be considered a luxury from one point of view or another. People in some third world nations would consider 99.9999% of what we have as a luxury, they would be forever grateful for a even a spoon full of food.

-tReP

· Registered
1,529 Posts
I think he is saying FOR HIM it's a luxury item ( for most of us I would assume ).

Based on the fact that's it's a luxury item, are there projectors that have a lower operating cost?

· Registered
2,378 Posts
$2/day for HT--- some people smoke $10/day. HT isn't harmful to your health--- well, except for DLP rainbow artifacts. :p

· Registered
220 Posts
I'd say the 5.27 hours a day watching your PJ is a luxury, $2 a day is nothing to spend time doing something you enjoy. I am lucky if I get to watch 2 movies a week on my PJ, I wish I had time for more but between 2 jobs, a wife, a baby & a house thats a squeeze.

Now try & figure in the cost of all the DVD's you have bought to watch. Now theres something with a sucky cost per hour ratio, $20 for a 2 hour long bad movie you watch once with a buddy = $5 per person per hour.

· Registered
310 Posts
Spending 37 cents an hour for entertainment requires someone to be rich?

I guess the only people that can afford to spend $7 for a movie ticket for 2 hours of entertainment are the filthy rich. After all, they are spending about 10 times as much per hour.

Evidently my childhood friends and I were extravagant hedonists. We spent a quarter to play Pac Man for about 10 minutes. That is $1.50 an hour in 1982 dollars!

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JPinTO
$2/day for HT--- some people smoke $10/day. HT isn't harmful to your health--- well, except for DLP rainbow artifacts. :p
You've never had my popcorn :)

But in all seriousness, it would be nice to get HT down to tube costs in terms of $$/hr but in the meatime, would we have done any differently? I think not.

· Registered
533 Posts
You might want to factor in the difference in screen size for the calculation. Perhaps if the cost per square inch of viewing area was included then the cost might not be skewed so far. And unless you can sit 12' away from the 25" screen and type a reply as I'm doing on my 100" screen then that ability is worth a little something extra as well.

Cheers...

· Registered
7,570 Posts
At two bucks a day just cutting out that fast food meal I used to get every day pays for it easily and the HT is a much better habit!!

· Registered
375 Posts
Damn, now you've done it. Time for me to go to McDonalds. On a silly and somehow related note McDonalds is going to rent DVD's a la Blockbuster for a buck a day, returnable to any store. Would you like a Pirates of the Caribbean with your Big Mac? Oh someone needs to figure in the cost of DVD renting, Blockbuster vs. Netflix vs. McDonalds. It MUST go into the calculation of HT entertainment per day. :)

· Registered
370 Posts
One problem with this calculation is that you haven't taken into account the residual value of your projector. I'm assuming you're not going to throw the thing out now?!? So if you sell it then you have to subtract that amount from your cost of use.

· Registered
351 Posts
Mono you're not rich, people going out to the movie are. $18 (for two) at a aveage 2 hr. movie is $8 per hr. If they were to watch 5.27 hrs at the movie that's $47.43 per day and not including popcorns and sodas. So for $2 per day at your HT to watch 5.27 hrs. of movie don't sound that bad after all. We should add the $5 per movie rental ($15 total rental) to the bottom line, that's $17 total for three moives.

· Registered
477 Posts
Wow. We probably use our home cinema 6 hours per week.

My neighbor showed me his new toy, a nice plasma set. Then I brought him over to see our theater (137" diagonal 2.35 screen), all of my components combined cost less than his set.

That was mean for me to do.

· Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, I didn't really expect such a response to my little musing... all of you make excellent points.

In order to resell, I'd probably need to buy a new bulb to get top dollar. No, not because it needs it (the picture is still looking fabulous) but because a savvy buyer would obviously insist upon it. So $230 for the bulb, add $10 shipping/ins for a total of $240. Then I figure I could sell it for $600, so that means current actual resell value $600 - $240 = $360

So to revise my original calculation... $1610 - $360 = $ 1250 so now...

$1250 / 4406 = $.28 per hour Looking Gooood! and for an average 5.27 hour viewing day we're now looking at about a buck fifty.

BTW, I found "Holy Moly!" to be an excellent first response to my average viewing time per day... but you must understand I don't 'save' my projector just for that special movie and then savor it like a fine wine... hell no, I'm rich! , so I expect it to be my TV and computer monitor replacement... yes, I treat it just like any other appliance. I use it for movie watching, TV watching, replayTV watching, computer games, jukebox (with visuals), Internet surfing, and like many people who use their TV's just to simulate company (ie. leaving it on for some background noise), yep, we do that around here too. In fact around here its not that unusual to have the projector running 8, 10, even 12 hours straight. Am I nutz? Isn't there anyone else who treats their projector like a typical household appliance? or is it just 'cause I'm feeling so rich?

(If I used those little 'smiley' thingys, I'd be looking for the one with its tongue in its cheek...)

· Registered
352 Posts
I use mine approx 5-6 house a day. I turn it on when I get home from work and watch the news, a movie ot just prime-time TV shows. I often leave it on while I surf the net from my sunroom (in view of screen). I work my butt off and don't feel like I am living a life of luxury by having/using my FP system! I break mine down as follows:

BenQ PB6100 bought for $999 in January 04

- $100.00 rebate from BenQ

- $450.00 I got from selling my old Sony TV

= $450.00 invested in the projector

If the bulb lasts 3000 hours, I'll have 0.15/hr invested! I don't consider AC useage as it's less than my old TV used & am not that anal about it.

Luxury... NO!

Scott

· Registered
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JPinTO
Are you serious about the artifacts or kidding? If you've got some scientific studies about this, I'd like to know. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.