AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if ABC is not correcting their weak signal because they are devoting their efforts to Disney's "Movie Beam" service...

"The Disney service, dubbed Movie Beam, will use a portion of the digital broadcasting spectrum used by its ABC over-the-air network, to feed up to 10 films a week into domestic television set-top boxes with a storage capacity of 100 full-length features. "

http://www.msnbc.com/news/897423.asp?0si=-

· Registered
872 Posts
It's a shame that these companies can use this bandwidth for PPV activities.

Whatever the cause...KABC is below par...no doubt!

But...as I've said before.....Los Angeles suffers from poor HDTV reliability across the board...though CBS seems to have fewer problems at the moment.

KCET still has the blown pixel...though they have tried to defuse it some how. Still annoying on a large display!

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get CBS at around 87% with a Silver Sensor. KABC requires a lot of fiddling, but can come in around 60% which is barely acceptable for my 6000U w/OTA card.

· Registered
269 Posts
Devoting part of their bandwidth could result in more compression artifacts. Though if they're only sending ten flims a week, I doubt they're using enough bandwidth to have any visible effect.

It will not affect the *strength* of the signal.

It does strike me as strange ABC is trying this again. Back in the 1970s they tried a scheme to transmit scrambled (analog) movies over their owned-and-operated stations overnight; the plan was for viewers to set their VCRs. The idea flopped miserably.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.