AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you guys.

I currently don't have a camcorder and wanted to buy one. I figure I might as well go HD and was pretty much sold on the Canon HG20. It will be used to take video footage of my son, vacations etc.

I was all set to buy when a thought popped into my head My Computer is old as dirt. I have a P4 2.4 GHz, 800 MHz fsb, 2 GB ram, Radeon 9600xt video card, ample hard drive space. I know that I won't easily be able to edit HD video, but will I even be able to archive stuff from the camera and do basic functions? If I could just download and back up the files, and burn them to a DVD that my HD DVD player or PS3 could play I would be happy until I get a new computer.

What do you guys think?

Cheers.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_dredd /forum/post/15562880

but will I even be able to archive stuff from the camera and do basic functions? If I could just download and back up the files, and burn them to a DVD that my HD DVD player or PS3 could play I would be happy until I get a new computer.

Absolutely, that would work fine. Transferring and storing the file would not be a problem at all. It is only playing or editing/encoding the file which may cause problems. As I mentioned in another post, some people have success using video editor with smart proxy feature (e.g. Corel Videostudio) in slower computer. The final render can still take hours, but at least it makes the editing part workable. You can download trials program to see if it works for you.

And your PS3 is a dream companion for your HD camcorder. It can play the files whichever way you like (on SD card, data DVD, AVCHD DVD, external drive, internal drive, streaming etc) flawlessly.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.

So the PS3 is able to play the m2ts files in their native format?

If so, and I can play the files of a large usb drive, that is excellent.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_dredd /forum/post/15564462

So the PS3 is able to play the m2ts files in their native format?

Yes!

Quote:
If so, and I can play the files of a large usb drive, that is excellent.

Yes, you can use an external hard drive too. Just make sure that they are formatted in FAT32 (does not work with NTFS), and there is a 4GB file size limit. No such limit for files played from PS3 internal hard drive or from streaming. If you plug in the SD card directly from camcorder, PS3 would recognize it as AVCHD and play the clips in sequence. Or if you just copy individual files without the directory structure, there is also a new settings in the new PS3 firmware to allow the clips to be played in sequence.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

Do you think that the HG20 will be replaced in the next little bit, or are it and the HG21 the current offerings from Canon? I just see that the flash based camera's were recently replaced.

Cheers

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_dredd /forum/post/15567486

Thanks.

Do you think that the HG20 will be replaced in the next little bit, or are it and the HG21 the current offerings from Canon? I just see that the flash based camera's were recently replaced.

Cheers

Just a bump here. I can get a pretty good deal on the HG20 this week in Canada. I would be open to the idea of waiting for one of the new cameras (probably the HF200) but I don't have a good idea of when we will see those in Canada. Also, I'd assume they will be full retail for the first little while. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_dredd /forum/post/15631219

Just a bump here. I can get a pretty good deal on the HG20 this week in Canada. I would be open to the idea of waiting for one of the new cameras (probably the HF200) but I don't have a good idea of when we will see those in Canada. Also, I'd assume they will be full retail for the first little while. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

I bought my HF100 only a couple weeks after it was released and I still found it for about $200 less than msrp. You just have to look around and not be afraid of ebay. Mine was from a normal retailer, but ebay is usually a great resource for these kind of things, usually because they come bundled with a few helpful nick-knacks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, my son is nearly crawling and had tooth poke through today, so I don't think I have time to wait for the new units. Picked up the HG20 today. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I can't wait to.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
the hg20 is maybe the cheapest canon that'll record the full 24Mbps avchd spec? it's a great choice, you did great.

be sure and learn how to use the shutter priority mode, i usually set it at 1/60th.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've had some time to mess around with the HG20, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I picked up a small SDHC card (4GB) for next to nothing, and all I have to do is either capture video to the card, or transfer it from the hard drive to the card, slap it in the ps3 and I'm good to go.

I messed around with the Pixela software a little bit, and my computer is definitely going to have to upgraded at some point. But as long as I can back up my video, and play it on the PS3, I'm happy.

Question for you guys. I was messing around with the Pixela software, and tried out the AVCHD option, to burn a dvd that my PS3 or HD DVD player could play, but I didn't have DVD-R's so I couldn't burn one. The question I had was, Pixela says that my 24mbps stuff has to be downgraded to 17mbps, then the disc will be burned, why is that? If that is the case, I may just record everything in 17mbps mode.

Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_dredd /forum/post/15642756

Well, I've had some time to mess around with the HG20, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I picked up a small SDHC card (4GB) for next to nothing, and all I have to do is either capture video to the card, or transfer it from the hard drive to the card, slap it in the ps3 and I'm good to go.

I messed around with the Pixela software a little bit, and my computer is definitely going to have to upgraded at some point. But as long as I can back up my video, and play it on the PS3, I'm happy.

Question for you guys. I was messing around with the Pixela software, and tried out the AVCHD option, to burn a dvd that my PS3 or HD DVD player could play, but I didn't have DVD-R's so I couldn't burn one. The question I had was, Pixela says that my 24mbps stuff has to be downgraded to 17mbps, then the disc will be burned, why is that? If that is the case, I may just record everything in 17mbps mode.

Thanks.

How are you putting your video into your PS3? With a USB card reader?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_dredd /forum/post/15642756

if you are talking about burning avchd to a standard definition dvd-r, i believe that the laser that's used to read sd dvd-r discs is limited to 17Mbps or so.

if the content you are shooting is valuable, i'd stick to recording at 24Mbps, so that you'll have the quality for later down the road, when blu-ray is dirt cheap to produce.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osv /forum/post/15647632

if you are talking about burning avchd to a standard definition dvd-r, i believe that the laser that's used to read sd dvd-r discs is limited to 17Mbps or so.

if the content you are shooting is valuable, i'd stick to recording at 24Mbps, so that you'll have the quality for later down the road, when blu-ray is dirt cheap to produce.

The theoretical DVD MPEG2 limit is 9.8Mbps but best compatibility it's 8Mbps.

There's no reason really not to accept 24Mbps since it has to downconvert anyway. I think the software is simply outdated (and it's for free so not much to expect). I've also heard people saying the DVD quality wasn't good.

I would look for a better editor. I.e. you can get free trials of vegas, tmpgenc xpress and tmpgenc authoring (latter can create / burn compatible AVCHD disks and has smart rendering).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc48 /forum/post/15647914

The theoretical DVD MPEG2 limit is 9.8Mbps but best compatibility it's 8Mbps..

i think that it's a hardware issue, blue laser vs. red laser... 17Mbps is the max bitrate that the hardware can read off of the disc, afaik, it's not a format problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osv /forum/post/15647928

i think that it's a hardware issue, blue laser vs. red laser... 17Mbps is the max bitrate that the hardware can read off of the disc, afaik, it's not a format problem.

Right DVD's have a limit but I wonder why couldn't the pixela software read 24Mbps flash cards and convert it to 8Mbps SD DVD's?

XBOX 360 can playback WMVHD on regular DVD's with 12Mbps (probably close to the limit of DVD).

Not sure what the typical bitrate limit is of bluray players playing back BDMV/BDAV content on regular DVD's. 24Mbps is officially a valid AVCHD bitrate.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i think that blu-ray is up to 40Mbps?? i output to sd dvds and the web, so i'm not really up to speed on blu-ray.

going from 24Mbps straight to sd dvd is what i do, but i never tried it with the pixela software.

·
Registered
825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osv /forum/post/15648670

i think that blu-ray is up to 40Mbps?? i output to sd dvds and the web, so i'm not really up to speed on blu-ray.

going from 24Mbps straight to sd dvd is what i do, but i never tried it with the pixela software.

You don't literally burn 24 mbps onto sd dvd, do you? I thought the max you could do was 18 mbps onto sd dvd.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdo /forum/post/15649356

You don't literally burn 24 mbps onto sd dvd, do you? I thought the max you could do was 18 mbps onto sd dvd.

sd dvds require mpeg2, so yes, it has to be re-encoded.

burning avchd onto an sd dvd-r blank is where the bitrate limitations show up... i'm thinking that we can't call that an sd dvd, because it has hd video on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts