Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an observation.

On virtually all the used projectors I've seen lately the wear pattern has been in the 4:3 ratio.

Doesn't anyone watch 16:9?

Mark

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think its pretty normal to see 4:3 wear. It seems most PJs either have no wear or have 4:3. Remember that most of these units have a commercial background. Few commercial setups I have seen are 16:9, so I attribute the wear pattern to this. Not to mention many commercial setup[s have the bri/con cranked toooo high...

Kieth

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Keith is totally correct,16:9 is a video format and even though CRTs are ideal for video they were marketed and sold as data projectors (showing a 4:3 computer display). He did forget to mention public institutions like Universitys which I belive account for more than 50% of the used CRTs on E-bay. I bought my E-home from a school and the bright. and cont. were cranked all the way up, probably to try and compensate for poor light control in some classroom. I guess we should be gratefull LCD has pushed all these awesome machines into the used market for savy HT enthusiasts likeus to snap-up for peanuts. :)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Unfortunately, the supply is starting to dry up soon. :(

Too many commerical/educatinal installations have moved to digital already. :(

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i don't know about that...curt palme gets in many great projectors on a regular basis..

brickie

someof those digitals don't look bad at all...not quite as good as a crt,but decent.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Good observation, I've wondered the same thing.

In the coming years I think we will see CRT PJ's sold with 16:9 wear. Up until the late '90s probably 95% of our units were used in classrooms/boardrooms/meeting rooms showing 4:3 PC desktops or 4:3 video material.

Today, or within a very short timeframe, the majority of our units will be in home theater setups, most frequently burning widescreen.

Right now the population of CRT pj's with 16:9 wear patterns is likely very small, hence we don't see them. Curt, Eric and others in the biz may have run across one or two, will be interesting to hear from them...

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.